How to Move a Very Heavy Smoker

Faston

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This offset has 12” wheels up that seem to be ok on hard surfaces but you definitely want to keep them off the grass.

The rear end has 2 posts with small flat plates welded on. It is extremely for me to lift this end and maneuver the smoker around. Due to the salt mix here I plan on keeping it inside and returning it to the garage after.

I could probably fit up swivel casters on the rear legs. This means however that the unit will not set level.

Anyone solved this problem before or have an idea on how to facilitate moving this tank.

Thanks,
Randy

Replace the wheels with tires( Harbor Junk is your friend) then raise the legs off the ground until it is almost level( you need a little neg angle toward the drain) use large swivel castors with locks on that end. Place the castor next to the leg and mark the cut line. you can either weld the castor to the leg or weld a flange to the leg and bolt it on.

I just looked at a satellite view of Bayou Vista, Texas on Google maps. You have a street in front of every house for cars, and a canal behind every house for boats? That is COOL. :cool:

I don't envy the air quality where you live, but I'd love to have a boat in the backyard.

In that sandy soil, big, "balloony" tires will keep you from rutting the yard, but will still be a PITA to move. I camp on the Beach on Bolivar peninsula on a regular basis. Even lawns down there can be soft.

I always bring boards to level my camper, even though it doesn't weigh much. Have you thought about ripping some 4X8 plywood into strips to roll your smoker across the yard?

CD

Replace the wheels with tires( Harbor Junk is your friend) then raise the legs off the ground until it is almost level( you need a little neg angle toward the drain) use large swivel castors with locks on that end. Place the castor next to the leg and mark the cut line. you can either weld the castor to the leg or weld a flange to the leg and bolt it on.

Thanks,
Harbor Freight is really my best buddy but maybe too good a buddy for my pockets. The big wheels probably would really help.

A few mods for maneuverability...

Adding a removeable trailer tongue: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63163
Adding wider tires for soft terrain: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117696

When moving the Klose pit (over 1,000 lbs) - laid down (3) 1/2" plywood boards on the lawn to accommodate the 8" wheels.
Once I moved the smoker over the three panels - moved the first two from the rear to the front to resume the path to its final destination.

Lots of great ideas here, you sure have the major league caliber mods, really first class.

I will wait to be sure of what I am doing before I do permanently modify it.

Thanks!

I just looked at a satellite view of Bayou Vista, Texas on Google maps. You have a street in front of every house for cars, and a canal behind every house for boats? That is COOL. :cool:

I don't envy the air quality where you live, but I'd love to have a boat in the backyard.

In that sandy soil, big, "balloony" tires will keep you from rutting the yard, but will still be a PITA to move. I camp on the Beach on Bolivar peninsula on a regular basis. Even lawns down there can be soft.

I always bring boards to level my camper, even though it doesn't weigh much. Have you thought about ripping some 4X8 plywood into strips to roll your smoker across the yard?

CD

Air quality is great.....right off of west bay......breeze everyday......

CD

Air quality is something to pay attention to but it is normally clear here. Bolivar is an excellent area to fish, have caught some large flounder there.

As far as the soft grass goes I'm just going to be have more careful to keep both wheels on the narrow concrete path. I got one wheel into the grass this morning and I could just barely pull it out by hand.

Thanks!

nice cooker! I have never seen one of those in person

Is the front shelf crooked? might just be the pic. I just noticed that

I like the size of that chimney

nice cooker! I have never seen one of those in person

Is the front shelf crooked? might just be the pic. I just noticed that

I like the size of that chimney

Ha!
The photo extenuates the tilt and is only ~1 degree tilt as measured on an Angle Cube. The really great part about that shelf is that it is rock solid and the hardware is very stout. I looked at the chamber cover and firebox fit (very nice BTW) before taking it home.

Besides my Smoker now has an anti-theft deterrent so the police can spot it quickly.

Cool. Got any details about parts/design for this? Looks like exactly what I need.
I could not find one to buy so I made it. It was a regular 1000lb swivel jack, I cut the foot off and made the axel out of 2 inch angle I welded the bottom of the jack onto the angle..under the angle I welded on a 1/2 inch solid steel rod. I mounted the solid neumatic tires onto that axel. ( no air to leak out). To make the handle to pull with is just some scrap pipe...I welded on a couple steel tabs to the front of the angle and drilled a hole in it and so that a bolt can be inserted through some square tubing. I welded solid rod onto that tubing, it will fit into the pipe the handle is made out of so that it can be removed....I bought the jack from croft trailer...pretty common...the tires were from Tractor supply rest was from the scrap heap in back of the shop. It was all mounted to the cross member by a cutting out a square 1/4 steel plate, welding that to the cross member and then bolting the jack to that mounting plate...Sound more complicated than it is...:shocked:

Thanks! I might copy that idea on my next build :thumb:

Back