MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
alfredbot9000
Got Wood.

Default PBC Running Hot (starting using chimney)

I received my PBC the other week and it has been great. It's running hotter than I would like, but I want to make sure I'm starting it right.

Here's been my method:

1. Fill Charcoal Basket (since its new I didn't want to start tinkering with amounts of unlit) and return to inside drum.
2. Fill a chimney -
1st cook I used as written on PBC website of 1/4 of the unlit charcoal from basket and I sky rocketed to 350 right after I put my rebar in
2nd cook used a little more than a 1/4 of a chimney full.
3. Wait till coals are ashed over and pour on top of unlit charcoal baset
4. Put in rebar and cover
5.* Both times I've been behind on food prep time, so its usually about 10 min after I've added the coals to the drum before I get my food on, but I do have the rebar and lid on

Both times my temps SKYROCKETED to 350*+. I have my vent at the factory preset, but have had on both occasions had to drop it down to what is closed to get my temp in control and bring my temps closer to 325*.

The only thing that I do that seems different is step 5 in that I've been behind in getting my food on, but the rebar and lid are on while thats happening...can't see that being the reason its getting that hot, but I could be wrong.

I have posted a picture of the factory preset opening.

How are you guys lighting your PBC with a chimney and how is it working out?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (38.1 KB, 513 views)

Last edited by alfredbot9000; 03-27-2013 at 04:52 PM..
alfredbot9000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Close the vent down.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

less air intake equals less temp... So close her down a little...

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

a PBC never runs too hot. nor does it run too cold. it runs precisely at the temperature it means to.

of course, if that's hotter than you would like it, just close the vent a little.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

That intake looks open wider than I would expect. Hard to tell. Here is mine:

Mine seems to be settling in around 280* in 30* - 40* weather. I expect it to run a little hotter when the weather warms up.

Also, I think it all depends on where you're measuring the temperature. Taking a temp at one single spot doesn't give a full picture of what is going on. I'm still trying to figure out how the ribs don't get extremely burned being so close to the fire, but they don't. So, obviously the temp there doesn't matter.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
Close the vent down.
I pulled a magnet off of my refrigerator and used it to close the gap....caz it ran way too hot!
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredbot9000 View Post
I received my PBC the other week and it has been great. It's running hotter than I would like, but I want to make sure I'm starting it right.

Here's been my method:

1. Fill Charcoal Basket (since its new I didn't want to start tinkering with amounts of unlit) and return to inside drum.
2. Fill a chimney -
1st cook I used as written on PBC website of 1/4 of the unlit charcoal from basket and I sky rocketed to 350 right after I put my rebar in
2nd cook used a little more than a 1/4 of a chimney full.
3. Wait till coals are ashed over and pour on top of unlit charcoal baset
4. Put in rebar and cover
5.* Both times I've been behind on food prep time, so its usually about 10 min after I've added the coals to the drum before I get my food on, but I do have the rebar and lid on

Both times my temps SKYROCKETED to 350*+. I have my vent at the factory preset, but have had on both occasions had to drop it down to what is closed to get my temp in control and bring my temps closer to 325*.

The only thing that I do that seems different is step 5 in that I've been behind in getting my food on, but the rebar and lid are on while thats happening...can't see that being the reason its getting that hot, but I could be wrong.

I have posted a picture of the factory preset opening.

How are you guys lighting your PBC with a chimney and how is it working out?
I've figured out the problem! Your PBC is on its side, it you stand it upright, it should work put fine.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

I only start with 10 to 15 briquettes. A 1/4 chimney full, especially if using the large weber brand one, will yield too hot of a temp when they are completely ashed over. Next time try only 10 or 12 briquettes and see if that helps. Works great for me. Also, I've learned that the PBC is a cooker that likes to heat up but not cool down and since their is no effective way to control intake, the temps depends a lot on how hot your starting fire is aka how many lit briquettes you start with.

My $.02..

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

I had the same issue, so changing the intake is likely the best option.

KC

Old 03-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
I only start with 10 to 15 briquettes. A 1/4 chimney full, especially if using the large weber brand one, will yield too hot of a temp when they are completely ashed over. Next time try only 10 or 12 briquettes and see if that helps. Works great for me. Also, I've learned that the PBC is a cooker that likes to heat up but not cool down and since their is no effective way to control intake, the temps depends a lot on how hot your starting fire is aka how many lit briquettes you start with.

My $.02..
^^^^^
this worked best for me, start with less fuel, WATCH IT CLOSLEY at the beginning and dont let it get to happy. After I add the lit coals to the baskert, i wait 10 minutes and put the cover on and watch where the temp settles in.. If its to low, i crack the lid, SLIGHTLY.. and watch it closly. Once it settles in at 270, i put the lid all the way on, and it takes a few minutes to settle at 280-290.

also, uyour does look open much more than mine.. mines open about halfway.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
THEdexaTRON
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I've used half of the smaller chimney lit and poured into the charcoal basket. I immediately put the rebar and lid on. I wait a few mins to let the cooker get warmed up and put my meat on.
My intake is opened about half way
THEdexaTRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #12
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomlord View Post
a PBC never runs too hot. nor does it run too cold. it runs precisely at the temperature it means to.
Only if the PBC is named Gandalf

Old 03-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #13
alfredbot9000
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy j View Post
I pulled a magnet off of my refrigerator and used it to close the gap....caz it ran way too hot!
I used one the other day to get the temps down!

Old 03-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #14
alfredbot9000
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy j View Post
I've figured out the problem! Your PBC is on its side, it you stand it upright, it should work put fine.
Oh crap! I've been drinking waaaay to many beers while smoking to realize my barrel fell over.....I guess when you drink till you fall over everything looks right side up?

Old 03-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #15
hcj3rd
On the road to being a farker

I fill up my charcoal basket then take out 15 briquets and light them in the chimney. When they are hot I will pour over unlit coals. I usually wait about 10-12 minutes before I put the lid on. Once I put the lid on it usually is at about 310-320. Once I add the meat it drops into the 280-290 range.