MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
DirtyDeedz
Knows what a fatty is.

Default UDS paint question...

I'm relatively new to the Brethren but have found this forum to have a wealth of information! Unfortunately through multiple failed searches, I find myself with a question that I hope someone might be able to help me out with.

Does anyone have any experience with using two Rustoleum products with different temp ratings together? I'm building my first UDS and I've hit it with the Rustoleum BBQ High Heat paint (flat black), sprayed a logo using the same BBQ high heat paint (in white) and would like to hit it with a clear gloss. Problem is, the rustoleum gloss I have found is slightly different (for Automotive) and its temp rating is slightly different. Will this cause problems? I saw that someone mentioned spraying down the flat black with cooking oil, so this could be an option, but I would rather hit it with a clear coat.

Here's my build so far...
DirtyDeedz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

I don't think it will matter - its up to your own personal taste.
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
peaspurple
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't think it will matter either.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

If you put the gloss over the high temp primer, the gloss will likely crack. We have had that issue. Otherwise, we have not had that problem.

But I hope you're planning only to cook at home. I don't believe that cooker will do very well on the road.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

As long as they are both the same base; Acrylic Enamel, or Lacquer it will be no problem.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
DirtyDeedz
Knows what a fatty is.

I probably should have mentioned the gloss is automotive high heat as well. Rated up to 2000 as opposed to 1200 like the flat I believe. Outnumbered, were you doing something similar or were you just hitting it with a regular gloss (not high heat)?

P.S. I loved the MU dig! Cracking me up. Haven't had much luck on the road at all this year, and we're definitely taking our lumps in the SEC. My hope is that if my team still can't get it together at least I'll have some good BBQ...small consolation prize for a homer like me.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeedz View Post
I probably should have mentioned the gloss is automotive high heat as well.
You did imply that. Anyway, I think you'll be fine; your pit will likely never see 600 f. Nice build!
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
DirtyDeedz
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks, Freddy! Was just out in Boston for a wedding...I loved your city. Could easily go back for a week or two just to see the things I didn't get to see.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
As long as they are both the same base; Acrylic Enamel, or Lacquer it will be no problem.
+1^^^Temp isn't an issue.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

paint?

[URL]http://www.teddybearcreations-wa.com[/URL]
Note to mods: is the back link ok?
When all else fails ......
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #11
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I agree with this the different heat raitings shouldn't be a problem i have even read were some guys were using regular non high temp paint and claim it holds up fine
HookedOnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Ours was high heat gloss.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote