MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #16
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

There's a thread with some youtube vids in QT that show it being made on a bigger scale, but you could adapt your process using the technique in the vid. I kinda thought it wasn't a success based on the time it took by looking at your posting. It takes considerably longer to achieve the results without rushing the process and ending up with ash.

I think what you could do, is do away with the inner barrel and stack it in the larger one. You then need to light it from the bottom.

Word of caution.....at least from what I've seen and read, you are also going to be dealing with LOTS of smoke for a long period of time. This may get you fined where you live.
Secondly, there are issues of gases, pressure, etc to consider. If not done properly, it could be dangerous as well.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #17
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

I can't find the thread with those vids in it. Maybe someone can link to the thread so you can check em out. Very cool to watch.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #18
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Thanks Bob for the effort. I've watched a few videos about and seen the different ways to do it. The way I'm trying is with the retort part and is supposed to burn off the gasses and burn clean/no smoke. I'm going with the less is more. First time I think I clogged it from making a draft with the leaves and line needles. I've also cut the stack in half. Will try it again after I eat some supper and get done pouting.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #19
Dirt Daddy
Knows what a fatty is.

Have you tried again?
Dirt Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #20
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Garrett you're on the right track. Keep going. The only smoke you will get is from the big barrel burn. So things like dry grass are not a good idea. Shorter stack is better also. You will find that less burn time will make better lump.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #21
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

I've never done this so by no means am I even close to informed on the process, but those wood chunks look very large compared to most lump coal I've seen. Maybe try chunking them up a little to make them smaller? I dunno just thinking out loud here. I'd love to make my own coal as well, but I got window-peeping neighbors with nothing better to do than call the city on us any chance they get. The farkers, karma will sort them out in time!!!

Good luck man keep us posted.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #22
N8man
Babbling Farker

OutStanding effort, it's just like the old saying,"Iff'n at first you do not succeed....."

Good Luck with it!!!

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #23
Garrett
Babbling Farker

I haven't given up yet. Had a lot yard cleaning to do today after all that wind and rain yesterday. Been doing a little more researching and have made a few changes. I've also got those nosey arse neighbors too. Hopefully I will have sometime this weekend to mess with again..... I will make charcoal!!!

Old 02-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #24
Dirt Daddy
Knows what a fatty is.

Cool I may have to try after u get this down..thanks
Dirt Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #25
Garrett
Babbling Farker

The last few days I have been researching and watching You tube videos and pondering. So here is what I came up with next. I used the same two barrels from before. Built a rack out of some old round stock I had laying around. Put that in the bottom of the big barrel to raise the retort part so I could have room for a fire underneath. Cut the lid of the big barrel to fit tightly around retort barrel to hold the heat in around the retort part. Cut a hole in top of retort and ran 3/4" black pipe out and down and back in to where fire is and drilled 1/4" holes in the length of it.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359764814.015637.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359764834.628666.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359764878.324882.jpg

After about 2 1/2 hours of burning, finally started getting water vapors which lasted about 2 hours and then the I heard the jet engine sound. I finally got it hot enough for the pyrolysis to take effect/ burning of the wood gasses. Couldn't get a good picture of that process, but you can see how hot and red the stand and bottom of the retort/ barrel is. That was from the gasses burning coming out of the pipe.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359765281.658363.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359765307.870828.jpg

I'm glad I'm not afraid to put my processes out when I'm not sure it's going to work or not. I'm going to let it cool off over night and after kids ball game in the am I will check it out and hopefully I will show y'all some charcoal. If not, I will show you again what not to do.

Last edited by Garrett; 02-01-2013 at 06:57 PM..
Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #26
jemezspring
is one Smokin' Farker

Looking forward to the update. Appreciate the documenting. Would love to try that out sometime.
jemezspring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #27
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Looking good thus far. Hell I wanna try it just to hear the jet engine sounds! Ahhh the mysteries of fire!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #28
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Well your chances of success sound much better the second time around. Isn't it fun to learn stuff? I love screwing stuff up, it helps remove what remnants of shame I might have left.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #29
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

This is very cool, thanks for sharing. Hope this round worked out! Waitin' for pics!
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #30
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I think you have it figures out now Garrett. When I made my own charcoal in VA, I used a very similar set up like the one you ended up with. Your thread has inspired me o start making mown again. Wicked Good has declined in processing quality for me, and I like the idea of using my own blend. Thanks again for the inspiration and good on you for your persiverence!!!

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote