• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

PitPopmaster T Need Help with UDS Brisket LOw and Slow

cool vids! My 5 yr old boy insists on helping me whenever I Q too. It's fun for both of us. What are brushing on brisket?

cool vids! My 5 yr old boy insists on helping me whenever I Q too. It's fun for both of us. What are brushing on brisket?

It looks like something from the BlackHwawk recipe. :razz:

"You make a mess...because I see it...you're still my daddy" :laugh:

Farking great stuff right there - that's where it's at. :thumb:

If you aren't using the stoker's fan you may have ro kick the drum around 2am or something to shake the ash off. The temp controllers just power through that early am temp drop so you get more sleep.

Nice video of course better to see you up and about Donnie! Keep funkin on the 1!!

Awesome! I was watching this video on my phone with my 2 year old sitting next to me. I think the sound of your boys got his attention and he started watching with it with me. He saw the brisket and started saying "barbeque Dada, barbeque"! I'm starting his training young. :mrgreen: have fun, bro!

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

naaa Bludawg... the stroke has made me reconsider Hot and Fast. Its too hot and too fast... as well as stupid. MY UDS is gliding at 208... and don't give me back my own words about that "nothing happens under 213" BS, either.

I made a firebasket that will smoke this UDS for 19 hours at 230..... so...... I need to find something big enough to utilize that capability I guess.

someone tell me this is a hoax...my world is beginning to collapse. :drama:

oh and BTW, the obligitory, is it done yet???

nice way to spend the afternoon with the kids.

It doesn't matter how you cook it or how it turns out. I just wanna see a detailed graph later.

Yeah I am PISSED off because my Stoker is not linking to my computer either hard lined or through my game adapter. I have the right IP address in there and it keeps saying "Failure to connect."

I am very happy with the steadiness.

The FOUR AM Grind

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEfCjIpL64Y"]Phil - Grandpoobah says wake up at 4 - YouTube[/ame]

So for the first time I bet in what seems like a decade, I wake up to check a damn brisket. I am out of my element. He says it should be ready at 4. He also says it serves me right for putting the thing on at 7 PM. Duh!!!! I am not a happy camper.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0hk0zwCsz4"]4 AM Check - YouTube[/ame]

Meat at Four A.M.

Imma Scared...

I have been poking fun at asshats every time they come in here saying "helppppppp, my brisket is ruined." Now I get that feeling.... must be in our genes.

But is it ruined?

Internals are not quite 155. Basically, I am feeling the panic for a second or two many people do when they start blindly poking around. Parts feel burned, tough, dry.... but are they? Knowing the brisket is only at 150 helps you. I wrapped it up with NO liquid, in paper then foil (just because I was worried about the paper burning because I do not have an isolator between my meat and my fire. I ramped the temp up to run between 230 and 250. Next check 4 hours.

Last edited:
8 Am Check.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6TKVf56heg"]8 AM check and Hold - YouTube[/ame]

You'll be back to hot and fast before you know it :mrgreen:

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUHRgc0v5n8"]Brisket at 8 AM - Revived and ready for a long rest - YouTube[/ame]

Here is the Brisket. Typically people rest it on the counter or in the cooler then slice. My process (which I got from Kreuz when it was Smittys - Blacks, Taylor Cafe.. all those big legendary brisket houses) rests the brisket for a long time. The fat in between those layers is filled with a bath of three things the meat fibers love to take a bath in, fat, collagen and moisture). A brisket can feel like it has lost all its moisture then pop back.

You'll be back to hot and fast before you know it :mrgreen:Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Well.... I have not tasted or even sliced it yet. Now in this video you hear me mention the "heat."

My Rub combination is optimized for my purposes, which was full blown no wrap until its done and ready for resting.

Because of the nature of the smoker (I have not added a diverter yet) I decided it would be best to wrap it. This keep the black pepper from transforming into that earthy flavor. So, it retained a lot of its heat. Not a bad thing just different. I probably will tweak the Tri rub blends for UDS.

I can see me putting this same brisket on at 7 AM at 270, wrapping in paper at maybe noon, doing a rest/cook at 220 until 3, then 170 rest for serving at 5 or 6. But then again, the UDS is variable and not a pre-set job so you can do that. I really like my one inch pipes too.

I'm tired just watching that painful process I hope you trip and hit your head in your weariness jar your brain and come back to your senses,,,, Nap time.

I'm tired just watching that painful process I hope you trip and hit your head in your weariness jar your brain and come back to your senses,,,, Nap time.

Actually, I think its more a timing issue. Phil let me know that... but I did it this way because I was excited about the new UDS (my first one I actually got to use) and my boys needed to see it put on before they went to bed so they could wake up and see what happened overnight.

I will next time dress the meat up at 8 to rest, probably fire the pit up at 10 and put on the meat after Two and a half men, (11:00) for a stable 230 cook, then wrap in the morning for my long rest at 170... in the pit of course. So far, my UDS cranks real well at 150 to 180 too. Must be the 1" pipes and couplings (essentially those TANDEM valves, black iron and elbows with U Bolts set me back around 95 alone. TWO inch inch hole with a refrigerator magnet would be fine too. Then there is the whole stoker thing too.

Now for a Kale shake to prep for the day.

Glad you enjoying the UDS I am still amazed at how well they cook. I call mine the Magic BBQ machine;
Meat goes in stiff and cold and comes out hot & wet & limp and all it has to do is just lie there for hrs. I fell guilty like I'm cheating every time I look at Beulah sitting there watching all cold with no meat in her box. :heh:
uds009-1.jpg

Glad you enjoying the UDS I am still amazed at how well they cook. I call mine the Magic BBQ machine;
Meat goes in stiff and cold and comes out hot & wet & limp and all it has to do is just lie there for hrs. I fell guilty like I'm cheating every time I look at Beulah sitting there watching all cold with no meat in her box. :heh:
uds009-1.jpg

The wife marvels how mine, still at my age and after my problem this week, that as you can see from the video, mine cames out stiff hot and wet. Of course, it was ready and willing to be put back in the box again. Hold it, what are we talking about?

Last edited:
Back