MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #31
BrewerDJ
On the road to being a farker

We've only done a couple of comps but after many practice sessions, too many hours watching shows & videos and untold hours reading the Brethren we went from 3 Packers, 3 Butts, 8 racks and 24 thighs down to 1 Packer, 2 Butts, 3 or 4 racks & about 12 thighs.

We figured both briskets are being cooked in the same place in the smoker so if one isn't cooked right, chances are they both aren't right. 1 butt to pull and one for slicing. If we cant get enough good ribs out of 3 or 4 high quality racks we're doing something wrong anyway. And 12 thighs because prepping 12 thighs is a big enough pain in the arse. 50 is INSANE! That should be plenty... unless something get dropped, then we're Fraked.

Then there's the stuffed fatty, the Taylor Ham, wings and ABTs to fuel the team.

and BEER.
BrewerDJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #32
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

If you can't cook 1 rack of ribs perfectly, what are the chances you can cook 6 racks right?
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #33
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

I notice a lot of brethren here only cook 1 brisket vs 2 or more butts. Is this because of the money muscle? I do IBCA here in TX so 99% of the comps don't require pulled pork.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #34
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPhan View Post
If you can't cook 1 rack of ribs perfectly, what are the chances you can cook 6 racks right?
Really? With your 1 rack of ribs, you've never run into a case where that 1 rack came off a bit skunky, or had a shiner right in the middle, or you seasoned it a little too much on accident, or it was at the end of your smoker (if you smoker is large enough to have ends) a little too long and was slightly over-cooked, or slightly under-cooked, etc.?

In MBN I'll never cook less than 12 racks of babybacks; usually 14 or 15 racks. In GBA, I'll cook 6...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #35
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Really? With your 1 rack of ribs, you've never run into a case where that 1 rack came off a bit skunky, or had a shiner right in the middle, or you seasoned it a little too much on accident, or it was at the end of your smoker (if you smoker is large enough to have ends) a little too long and was slightly over-cooked, or slightly under-cooked, etc.?

In MBN I'll never cook less than 12 racks of babybacks; usually 14 or 15 racks. In GBA, I'll cook 6...

I think you missed the point.

If you are cooking them because you need them, then you need them. If you cooking them because you hope out of 6, 1 comes out right, then you should just spend your time practicing.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #36
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPhan View Post
I think you missed the point.

If you are cooking them because you need them, then you need them. If you cooking them because you hope out of 6, 1 comes out right, then you should just spend your time practicing.
My apology, I did misunderstand.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #37
New Pal Frank
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
I notice a lot of brethren here only cook 1 brisket vs 2 or more butts. Is this because of the money muscle? I do IBCA here in TX so 99% of the comps don't require pulled pork.

That's why I do 2 butts. And If I screw up the one for sliced, oh well. More pulled to choose from and to feed the guys at work.
Husband & Wife Team (so far)

[B][I][COLOR=magenta][U]Hug Hogs Competition BBQ Team[/U] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black][U]New Palestine IN[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
New Pal Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #38
RX2006JE

i cook 6 because the quality of ribs that i can get me hands on is not always the best and they all cook up differently. some don't look or taste the same even when all are cooked to the same method. so i want the best to choose from, its not a case of not knowing how to cook them just that i want the best to choose from. having said that i am thinking i am going to reduce the number down to 4 racks per contest this year.
RX2006JE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #39
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post

Yes, the money muscle is perfect a little sooner than the rest of the butt, but since (in KCBS) you can't slice it off and return the butt to the smoker, a lot of people cook multiple butts and pull at different temps.

My wife, who does most of our chicken trimming, would be coming after me with the knives if I showed up with 50 pieces of chicken...wow.

More meat = more options, but there is a tipping point where the extra meat takes up more of your time, and more space in the smoker, so the quality goes down. Many smokers will perform differently with different amounts of meat in them, so I try to keep the load and placement the same. .
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 05:39 AM   #40
Rick Hamilton

9 chicken, 4 ribs, 2 butts, 1 brisket

Old 01-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #41
Red Valley BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sean

16 thighs, 3-4 racks of ribs, 2 pork butts, 1 brisket.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #42
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

12 thighs, 4 racks, 2 butts and 1 brisky.