MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
Vince B
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Today's Pulled Beef Sandwiches

I have been wanting to try a recipe that I saw Larry Wolfe post a while back called Pepper Stout Beef. This recipe basically has you smoke or grill a 4 lb chuck roast for 3 hours or until the internal temp is 165*. Before placing the chuck roast on the smoker Larry has you use kosher salt and ground black pepper on roast and cook at 240-260*.

While the roast is on the smoker slice 2 green peppers, slice 1 red onion, 3 jalapenos sliced with seeds, 6 cloves of garlic minced, 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, and 1 - 12oz bottle Guinness Extra Stout and place them in a foil pan large enough for your roast. After the roast reaches 165* place it on top of the ingredients. Then seal the top of the foil pan tight with a piece of foil. Cook at 350* for 2.5-3hrs until the roast is able to be pulled.

Once you have achieved this pull the roast and then continue to cook until the liquids have been reduced by about half. Then take and place on some rolls with cheese. These were awesome however were a little spicy for me. I only used two jalapenos and removed the seeds. Next time I will only use one and also remove the seeds. Here are the pic's from my cook.

For my cook I decided to use two chunks of cherry in my wsm with a mostly full ring of charcoal. I did minion 15 or so lit coals on top. Once the coals went on I assembled the smoker and put the chuck on. Installed my probes and closed the lid and did not open it until the meat read 160*. This took almost 3 hours with my wsm staying about 240*.

When my roast was close to 150* I prepared all my ingredients for the foiled pan that would be used for the second part of the cook. Make note of the sizes of the chopped ingredients. I think these were perfect sizes for when it was all said and done. I then added one beer per Larrys suggestion and then mixed the ingredients well. The best part about this is you only use one beer and have 5 left over for the pit master!

Once I felt the roast was ready for the next step I checked it in a few places to make sure I was close. Then I added it to the foil and sealed it up goodntight! Back on the wsm trying to achieve 350* however I seemed to get to about 330-340* for 3 hours. This was with all of my vents wide open.

At right around 6 hours total cook time I removed the top layer of foil from the pan and stuck chuck with a fork. He was definitely ready for the next step. At which point I busted out a couple of forks and shredded it up. Mixed well in the juices and broken down veggies. Placed back on the smoker uncovered for about another hour until most of the juices were gone.

After about an hour most of the liquid had cooked down and it was time to make up a sandwich.

I will say these were awesome and I will definitly be making them again. Thanks for looking! Vince

Last edited by Vince B; 10-23-2010 at 09:47 PM..
Vince B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
samiam
Knows what a fatty is.

Damn that looks great! On my short list to make. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

That looks mighty good!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

I need to try that

[URL]http://www.teddybearcreations-wa.com[/URL]
Note to mods: is the back link ok?
When all else fails ......
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
MOS95B
is one Smokin' Farker

Looking good!!
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Ohhhh ya, that looks Smackin' Goot... Cheers!!!

Old 10-23-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Fantstic! Lucky for me chuckies were on sale and I picked up some today.
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2010, 07:26 AM   #8
Norm
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Private

Wow!

Great cook Vince, I bookmarked this one to try out.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like your cooking style!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
atvottawa
On the road to being a farker

It really does look good. My only change would be to take that plastic cheese out and add a few slices of provolone. I love provolone on beef.

Keep on keeping on.
atvottawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #11
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Vince I'm going to try it,looks mighty tasty.
Arizona Chapter BBQ Brethren-----AZBarbeque Hall of Fame, North American Outdoors Grill,Charbroil Red, #7 Custom Red Kamado, Bandera
MrSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #12
Grabnabber
Babbling Farker

Holy Moly, that looks goooooood!

Old 10-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
Vince B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvottawa View Post
It really does look good. My only change would be to take that plastic cheese out and add a few slices of provolone. I love provolone on beef.

Keep on keeping on.
Yeah I know the cheese was not the most photogenic part of the cook! LOL it was still good! To be honest it was all I had in the house and totally forgot to get some at the store earlier in the day to slice up. Myself I like mozzarella or cheddar on my beef. As I type this my meat slicer is giving me dirty looks!

Old 10-24-2010, 09:51 AM   #14
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Wow! I need to do more chuck soon! Great lookin stuff!
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #15
Brooks BBQ
Got Wood.

Great ideas there! Going to copy.
Love smoked chuck!

Cole slaw is good side with this type of meal.
Brooks BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote