MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #16
douglas_p76
Knows what a fatty is.

this is what i use it has an ash tray on the bottom, i just replaced the original pan with the bottom part of this, legs and all, and put it on bricks,got some good temps out of it for long periods,
Kingsford 14" Table Top Kettle Grill 10040607
douglas_p76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #17
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

I stuck a Smokey Joe under mine, works great.

JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #18
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstryd View Post
Oh, good info on the pork - that's news to me and I appreciate the input. Re: the turkey, that's what I was guessing to get it done in some sort of timely manner. And it will be brined, so I'm not concerned about it drying out.

I do have the mod that lets the whole thing lift off - very handy. I just need a safe and easy way to get ash out of the pan after the cook part is off. I'm thinking how to lift the grill I have the charcoal on so I can clear the air holes. Maybe just vise grips and gloves when the time comes.

Thanks, all, for the great input.
Brining will help, but don't think it's impossible to dry out the turk. I did a brine test while back with 2 whole chickens. Brined one and not the other. Used identical rubs, cook temps, etc. I overcooked both birds (OOPS!!). The one that was brined wasn't AS bad, but I thought it was still dryer than it should've been. Still gotta watch your meat temps.

I'd find a recipe that you like and follow suggested temps. I believ most recipes for turkey (whether grilled, smoked or oven cooked) call for 325-350 degrees for so many minutes per pound. Just go with that and you'll be fine.

Minion method will help you get more time out of your coals too. Lump will also burn a bit hotter to help you get temps up there, but won't last as long as briq's.

Good luck man!

I did smoked turkey last year and everyone's asking for it again this year!
You'll LOVE it!!!

Old 08-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #19
TWQQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I've been using my modified ECB for a couple of months now, and I like it a lot. I've managed to do some nice ribs and beer butt chickens on it.

However, I have a little problem...

I know how to get it to stay around 300°F or 395°F for 3 hours, but I find it hard to get it low and keep it there (around 220°F). It likes to stay at around 300° F with the water pan in, or 395° F without the waterpan.

I've got some holes in the lid that I can open and close. I usually leave one open, one corked with a thermometer stuck through it, and one just corked. I've also raised the charcoal grate, and put some holes in the bottom and sides of the charcoal pan. I usually cover the 3 bottom holes with foil, and then leave the 6 holes on the side of the charcoal pan open.

Anyway, what would the best way to get the temperature down to 220 (perfect rib cooking temp, right?)? Less coal? More water in the pan? Cover more holes? Something else?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 08-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #20
humdogj
Knows what a fatty is.

TWQQ - Like you, I did my first smoke yesterday, and I seemed to hover around 300-350*. Here is the link to the thread on my first smoke.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh....php?p=1759327

I had everything closed at one time and it didn't seem to be going down in temp. It was windy and that air space between the firepan and body seemed pretty large. I'm trying to think of a way to seal up the firepan to the body, but not sure which route I want to go.

I'm going to try less lit charcoal when I do the minion method. I have to get the temps under control because I am doing some ribs for a party in 2 weeks. The thermometer I used was one that was just hanging off the rack that I picked up from Fleet Farm. I'm not sure how accurate it was, but I have a Maverick ET-732 coming in tomorrow that I think will help me run some better tests.

Good luck because it sounds like we have similar situations. If you find things that work for you, PM me, or just post to a new thread with ECB in the title. I'm always looking for those.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #21
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

The minion method could help you a bunch, try it tonight. It could easliy fix your problem.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #22
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Minion method is best for that kind of smoker.

Raise the coals higher off the bottom, so there is more room for ash to collect and not smother the fire

Try kicking the bottom when it starts to temp dive to knock loose ashes down away from coals.

Use a high quality charcoal briq such as Stubbs, (avoid Kingsford blue and other el cheapo briqs) or use a decent lump charcoal packed in tightly for better burning.

Drill a bunch of holes in the charcoal pan on the sides for better airflow to the coals.

Make sure you have a way to choke down the air intake for lower and slower cooks. Personally I'd be jazzed having it cruise @300, more sleep time.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #23
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I load my ECB (electric Gourmet converted to charcoal) with 1 full chimney worth of briquettes and using the Minion Method it'll hold 250F close to 10 hours. Lid is sealed with rope gasket and the 3/4" vent holes I made on the lid are always fully open.
My charcoal pan is well sealed with one single adjustable vent.

Also make sure you're not getting any air leaks through the access door. A leak there will keep temps high no matter what you do.

Tags
air flow, ecb, Heat, temperature