MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
jgc1998
Found some matches.

Default Help a newbie...preping for a company bbq.

I have been trying to read from the enormous amount of information here from all the experts, but its a little over whelming. I am on a short time line for a company BBQ next month. Can you help point me in the right directions for the following questions?

1. A co-worker has some Water Oak that was cut down and piled up, but not split, I can have all the wood I can use from it. Any thoughts about using water oak? Prior experience using water oak left a bitter taste but maybe that was something else or not just not seasoned long enough after splitting.

2. We have an open turn in. Any suggestions? Usually, we turn in ribs but was thinking of doing something other than the normal. It can be any meat grilled or smoked.

3. Any recommended recipes for cooking briskets? We normally are given 3-4 to cook but have never won on this part. We only have about 12 hours from the time we get the meat to turn in.

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.

Pit information - is a 24-26 inch diameter off set smoker on a trailer. Cooking chamber is about 6 ft.

Wood - Water oak tree fell during IKE but has not been split. Just sitting along his back yard fence.

Last edited by jgc1998; 09-22-2013 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: Adding pit and wood information
jgc1998 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc1998 View Post
I have been trying to read from the enormous amount of information here from all the experts, but its a little over whelming. I am on a short time line for a company BBQ next month. Can you help point me in the right directions for the following questions?

1. A co-worker has some Water Oak that was cut down and piled up, but not split, I can have all the wood I can use from it. Any thoughts about using water oak? Prior experience using water oak left a bitter taste but maybe that was something else or not just not seasoned long enough after splitting.

I haven't used Water oak, but depending on when the tree was cut down, it will take a while for the wood to cure if it was just piled up and not split.

2. We have an open turn in. Any suggestions? Usually, we turn in ribs but was thinking of doing something other than the normal. It can be any meat grilled or smoked.
If you want some thing that will wow the judges, you might think of doing something out of the norm. Something like a rack of beef short ribs (dino bones) or a stuffed pork loin People eat with their eyes first and if you can get their attention with something impressive and deliver on flavor, you will win.

3. Any recommended recipes for cooking briskets? We normally are given 3-4 to cook but have never won on this part. We only have about 12 hours from the time we get the meat to turn in.
I prefer to keep brisket simple. 1 part kosher salt, 1 part course ground pepper, 1/4 part garlic powder (by weight)
Put in the smoker at 300-325.
Wrap when the brisket gets to the color you want and then finish it to probe tender on the thickest part of the flat.
Pull off the smoker, let it vent for 15-20mins to prevent over cooking.
Wrap and hold in cooler or an oven (turned off) for a minimum 2 hours
A 12lb brisket will finish in about 6 hours of cooking, then add in the rest time

If you want to do burnt ends, when you pull the briskets off the smoker, cut the point off the flat and do 1in cubes of the point. Throw some extra rub on it and some sauce, and throw them in an aluminum pan and back onto the smoker for approximately an hour.

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.
Here are some dino bones wow factor of it. I have to find the stuffed pork loin pictures I have to show the wow factor of it.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I've never tried water oak, but as aawa pointed out, if it was cut down recently it won't be seasoned yet.

A far as the brisket, 12 hours is plenty of time if you cook hotter. You didn't mention what you cook in so it's hard to make specific recommendations.

For the open turn in, how many people do you have to feed? Is it just a few judges or everyone? If it's just a few judges how about Tri-Tip?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
jgc1998
Found some matches.

Pit - We are borrowing a pit from a co-workers friend. Its a trailer mounted off set smoker. 24 -26 inch diameter about 6 foot cooking chamber. In the past we always tried to maintain 250F but always seemed to be rushing to get our meats to internal temps by turn in. Normally we are just winging it. This year I am trying to have a plan.....

Judging - its just other co-workers and executives on the judging. Nothing as far as trained judging. About 10-12 people. The remainders (if any) of the open goes to the buffet line after judging. Its only bragging right for awards.

Water oak - Came down during Ike. But as stated not split.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Pretty obvious question, I think.

What do YOU cook the best?

Start with that and branch out as needed.

Sounds like fun.

Good Luck.

TIM

Old 09-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it will be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.

*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

Old 09-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Has anyone ever won with the brisket?
If not I'd go for it using bludawg's instructions.
Good luck

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think Dave has the real question, has anyone won with brisket. Cause there are some parts of the country, that you are never going to beat ribs or pork, even with a perfect brisket.

Cook closer to 300F, for everything. You will get done a lot faster and have some time to do nicer things.

I would turn in ribs (unless I was in Texas or Oklahoma), and do something nice with them. I would skip the water oak, if it is less than a year old, it will be green, and smoke poorly.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
jgc1998
Found some matches.

Brisket - It is its own competition. Brisket will be judged against other briskets. No we have tried different recipe's each year but never won. I have scene mention of Bludawg's recipe in other post, I had already written it down as one to try.

Open - Those Ribs sure do look good, AAWA!!! Again thank you for your comprehensive reply The information was greatly appreciated. Ron L - I can't say as I have ever had Tri-tip. I will have to give that a try Do you have a favorite recipe for Tri-Tip?

Thank you All for the suggestions. Its really helping narrow things down.

Greg

Old 09-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

If its truly an open, do something unforgettable like moink balls or a fatty!