MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
heatseeker
Full Fledged Farker

Default Pink in my bird...

I smoked some chicken thighs for dinner tonight. Kept the kettle steady at 350. Got the internal temp up to 170. Then, I seared it on both sides. Then, I sauced it on both sides. Got everything ready to eat and every piece except 1 still had pink near the bone. WHAT IS THAT ABOUT? I figured if I cooked it to an internal temp of 170 (10 degrees higher than the suggested internal for poultry), they would turn out fine. Disappointing.....
heatseeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Two things, many times poultry will turn pink just as a result of being smoked. However, when I cook chicken with bones in it like thighs, legs, and wings, I like to get the internal temp up to around 185ish just to be on the safe side. The chicken still turns out good but I have no question about whether or not it's done.

BTW - A good test for checking whether the pink is from the smoker or because the chicken is just raw (KCBS CBJ test) is to dab the pink area with a white and clean paper towel or napkin. If you don't see any pink or red in the juices absorbed by the napkin, it's done.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
DLR
Full Fledged Farker

I ran across this question once before and it had something to do with the age of the bird usually with the younger ones.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
gtr

+1 on juices running clear. Smoked chicken can be a little pink sometimes. I cook chickens every week to around 165-170 in the thigh and have never had a problem.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Smoked chicken can be very pink. Some 20 years ago I went to a picnic catered by Big Ray's. Their chicken comes out very pink and fall off the bone. People freaked out that the chicken wasn't done, but they picked up a drumstick and the meat would literally fall off. I brought two trays of chicken home with me and ate it every meal for a week. Best picnic ever!
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
heatseeker
Full Fledged Farker

good deal so I actually did a good job on it....whew....wife threw them in the oven for a few minutes just so she felt safe to eat it
heatseeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
Panthers65
is one Smokin' Farker

My smoked birds always have some pink in them. I've always seen it the same as a the smoke ring on beef and pork.
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
Wampus

Yeah, don't know exactly why it's pink nearest the bone but that happens. You done good bro.

As said....clear juices is my biggest "test" for chicken.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tatoosh

Very good info here, I'm getting ready to smoke two chickens tomorrow. Well, since my wife really prefers crispy skin, I thought I'd smoke the chickens for an hour or more 200F, then kick it up to 300F or higher to finish the chickens. But if she saw pink, she'd be having a fit. At least I know what to watch out for.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
tarheelsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Yeah, don't know exactly why it's pink nearest the bone but that happens. You done good bro.

As said....clear juices is my biggest "test" for chicken.

I can't remember where I read this, it may have been on here, but the chickens are being ummmm....harvested at a younger age, and they have thinner bone walls, and some of the morrow is coming out as it is being cooked and causes the meat around the bone to be reddish. I think checking with a napkin for clear juice is a good way to check it. Also if it has been temped above 165 or so close to the bone without touching, its fine.

Mike

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Alrighty folks... 'setcher lil hearts at ease - Most of the USDA's "blah, blah, blah" is designed so the that the average burger flipper can remember it -

Let me ask this question though, would you consider chicken kept at 137 for an hour to be:
A) Lethal - WTH are you trying to do to me man????
B) Just right! Bring it on, I'm hungry fo' that!

FDA says... Good to go! What???? AYFKM???!!!! (Are you freaking kidding me??)

Now, I'm not saying that the taste & texture will be what you want, but - technically, safe.

From USDA.gov - pages 5 - 16: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/...try_Tables.pdf

Times for given temperature, fat level, and species needed to obtain
7-log10 lethality of Salmonella*
------------------------------------ fat%=9 ------------------------------------
Temperature (
o
F) Time for Chicken Time for Turkey
136 74.8 min 67.6 min
137 59.7 min 55.3 min
138 47.7 min 45.4 min
139 38.3 min 37.3 min
140 30.8 min 30.8 min
141 24.9 min 25.5 min
142 20.1 min 21.1 min
143 16.3 min 17.4 min
144 13.2 min 14.4 min
145 10.7 min 11.9 min
146 8.6 min 9.8 min
147 6.9 min 8 min
148 5.5 min 6.5 min
149 4.3 min 5.2 min
150 3.3 min 4.1 min
151 2.5 min 3.2 min
152 1.8 min 2.4 min
153 1.4 min 1.9 min
154 1.1 min 1.5 min
155 51.4 sec 1.3 min
156 40.7 sec 1 min
157 32.2 sec 49.7 sec
158 25.4 sec 40.3 sec
159 20.1 sec 32.7 sec
160 15.9 sec 26.6 sec
161 12.6 sec 21.6 sec
162 10 sec 17.5 sec
163 <10.0 sec 14.2 sec
164 <10.0 sec 11.5 sec
165 <10.0 sec <10.0 sec
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #12
landarc

Yep, pasteurized chicken. Yum!

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #13
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tatoosh

That's kind of where the cooks doing Sous Vide (under vacuum) work, depending on what the end product is supposed to look like. I know one professional chef in a high end Colorado ski resort says they are cooking over half of all their food sous vide now. Steaks can be cooked to the perfect medium rare and finished by a quick sear to the exterior. Zero chance of overcooking. The time involved is longer, but since its vacuum packed already, holding it is not so problematic.

But for chicken, you need the higher temps to be sure. And even then the meat when cooked sous vide, I'm told, is very soft. The aforementioned chef prefers poached chicken for many things because the sous vide chicken done at lower temps is simply too mushy.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:37 AM   #14
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

ok...here is something I read a few years back.

Commercial chicken farms do all kinds of things to make chickens grow really big really fast. As a side effect, sometimes when you cook a chicken the marrow seeps into the meat right next to the bone and with the marrow being pink it can give the impression of being under cooked even tho it is not under cooked.. (I've had this happen even using an indoor rotisserie cooker). This may also happen once in a great while with "all natural" chickens but it supposedly happens more often with engineered chickens.

Sounds reasonable but I can't really remember the source I read it from. Like a lot of people around here, I temp check chicken when I cook it and when it's the right temp it's done and if there is pink in the meat next to the bone I have no fear of eating it.
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2012, 06:01 AM   #15
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Two things, many times poultry will turn pink just as a result of being smoked. However, when I cook chicken with bones in it like thighs, legs, and wings, I like to get the internal temp up to around 185ish just to be on the safe side. The chicken still turns out good but I have no question about whether or not it's done.
I also like 185 degree chichen. Some say it is overcooked. I think it is just right. Legs will pull right off and still juicy. Not rubbery, pick chicken.