Small Big Green Egg?

kylersk

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'd like to get a big green egg, and have been checking out craigslist. They are rare to find, but I did find this for $550.

Small Big Green Egg Smoker/Grill
About 1yr old comes with:
Egg Nest
Plate Setter
Cast Iron Grate
BBQ guru Digi-Q II

Just not sure on buying a small Big green egg..

Thoughts?

in my opinion, it's too much for a used small. I don't know what they run new, but I bought my Large this week and looked at a Medium, which sold new for only $549 -

Sounds high but with the extras not so much. Isnt a guru about $200

I'd like to get a big green egg, and have been checking out craigslist. They are rare to find, but I did find this for $550.

Egg Nest
Plate Setter
Cast Iron Grate
BBQ guru Digi-Q II

Thoughts?

With the Guru that's probably not that bad of a deal. My question would be about the capacity. A small, is SMALL. I wouldn't suggest anything smaller than a Lg. unless you are cooking for one, and don't have fridge or freezer space for leftovers.

The guru is great, but really not necessary with the egg. You may have to check it a couple of times for an overnight cook, but it should be very stable for you.

The final issue would be warranty. It's not transferable. I'd hate to get home with a used egg, and find a small crack that wasn't visible when I picked it up....and then have that turn out to be a problem.

For a little more $ you should probably be able to find a new Lg. with just about everything but the Guru, with a warranty.

Dr. BBQ has been a bad influence on me. I've gone from no eggs, to two in a matter of weeks!

I don't know how far you are from Little Canada, MN, but if it is close enough you might consider going to their Eggfest. I bought my egg at Eggfest in Peoria, and was able to save 10% on retail, plus they included a bag of lump, ash tool, plate setter, and assembled the unit. They likely have the same type of deal there. It might be worth a call or drive if not too far.

Shoot for a large. But, You can do alot with a medium. I wouldn't get a small unless it was a steal. My medium is my daily cooker for grilling and small cooks like a flat or shoulder. So shoot a large first and maybe find a killer deal on a med along the way.

I don't know how far you are from Little Canada, MN, but if it is close enough you might consider going to their Eggfest. I bought my egg at Eggfest in Peoria, and was able to save 10% on retail, plus they included a bag of lump, ash tool, plate setter, and assembled the unit. They likely have the same type of deal there. It might be worth a call or drive if not too far.

Hey Tom,
I live just south of Peoria - missed the dang Eggfest, but couldn't resist the urge, so I broke down and bought a Large from them this week - at my wife's insistance :-D Wish I coulda got the deal you did!

I agree, if you CAN get to an Eggfest, it's a good deal! And, the Large is a nice size...

I just bought a small. I paid 395 for it without the nest (I was building a table for it). I really like the small, but I have had a large for awhile. If you are looking to do some long cooks, I'm not sure how long the small will go.

The price isn't terrible, but only because it comes with the BBQ Guru.

to the buyer: i'll tell you what, i love my mini and the small would be just as good only larger. i guess your decision to get a small would be based on exactly what you wanted to cook in it.

to the seller: how much without the guru and why are you selling it?

Its a package with everything that I have for it. I don't NEED to sell it, I just rarely use it anymore. I bought it for the Cabin, and we sold the cabin so...

Bryan

Its a package with everything that I have for it. I don't NEED to sell it, I just rarely use it anymore. I bought it for the Cabin, and we sold the cabin so...

Bryan

i think you might have better luck selling the egg without the guru... but good luck, you never know. if you were closer, i'd make an offer for just the egg/nest/plate setter

Just bought a small with nest for 250 off of ebay. The guy cooked some wings and decided he liked his grill better. FYI, I can hardly see char marks inside and he had it in a garage....10 of 10 in my book

Small Green Egg

I sell the eggs small is just what it sounds small I have a large and an extra large. the small I sell for 650 with the nest shelves bag of charcoal and fire starters assembled and delivered. but it is small about 12" call me any questions. Eric 631-891-5657

Egg Nest
Plate Setter
Cast Iron Grate
BBQ guru Digi-Q II

Thoughts?

Back