WSM ?; butt or brisket on top?

cdollar

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I always did butts and briskets side by side on my stick burners, but now I have a WSM. I've done both on it but not together.
Question is: do you put the brisket on top to drip on the butt, or do you put the butt on top to drip on the brisket? My initial thought is brisket on top, but what do I know?

Some help would sure be appreciated.

Chuck

i have had the r2d2 type smokers for years and done alot of combos i always put pork on top (think bacon) and what was on bottom was always better than than the pork butt

i have had the r2d2 type smokers for years and done alot of combos i always put pork on top (think bacon) and what was on bottom was always better than than the pork butt

Makes sense. And I will have a pot of BBQ beans on the bottom rack that those juices and rub can drip into.

Thanks,

Chuck

I'd personally go butts overtop for two reasons.
1) let the butts drip their juicy goodness on the brisket throughout the cook
2) set the smoker to the temp on the bottom rack you want the brisket to cook at, the butts really don't care what temp they are getting cooked at - at least in my smoker. I don't notice a difference in taste or texture if I'm cooking at 225 or 300.

I'd put brisket on top and butt on bottom. You can eat raw beef but not raw pork, cross contamination. Now once the pork got to maybe 165F, I'd switch,

You'll probably get 50/50 in answers, but personally I put the brisket on top and butts on the bottom. With me the meat with the higher risk of "baddies" always goes on the bottom rack.

Butts over Brisket here...nothin' like some pork drippin's to help flavor the beef...:thumb:

i like the brisket on bottom.
however, the first time i did that, i paid less attention to the brisket and it got a tad overdone. jm2c

I've always done briskets on top, but I'm going to have to try briskets on bottom next time.

Another vote for butts over brisket.
My opinion is since both meets will be taken to nearly 200 degrees, there is no risk of cross contamination. And the greasy goodness of pork marinating your brisket, MMmMMmm.

OK, the butts over brisket, went in at 0730.

I will post a thread when it's done, with pix.

Thanks for all the good advice, folks. Gotta love this forum.

Chuck

In my vertical cooker, I usually put butts over brisket, but that's because I hang my butts. There is something to be said for butt drippings (lol) on other food. Coincidentally I've been thinking about this a lot this week, and if I were not hanging my butts, like in the Cajun Bandit I plan to order soon, I would probably put brisket on top. The reasons for this are two fold: I think butts are a lot more forgiving of higher cooking temperatures than brisket, and I think it would be easier to remove the butts through the access door should they get finished first. I don't think brisket drippings are a bad thing either! This is all supposition as I haven't tried it, but by all means, if you do, let us know the result!

dmp

EDIT: Doh! Too late for this cook!

Well, I pulled the butts off and foiled them at 168*, and the brisket is setting at about 145* Top grate is at 255* and bottom is 226*.
When this is through I will post a thread with my charcoal ring mod.

Chuck

Back