MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
suprfast
Take a breath!

Default Are stubbs briquettes discontinued?

Say it aint so. Everywhere i have been is either WAY low or completely out of Stubbs briquettes. Just went to my local lowes and they have 10 bags left on a pallet. Went to another lowes and ZERO. Found some at raleys(tiny tiny bag) for 5.99 but they had a discontinued tag on it. Whats the deal? Are they getting phased out or is it just the local crowd here in CA that dont know what real bbq is and light up with only kingsford blue.

It would be my luck, i just found these and enjoy them completely. All natural, ZERO chemicals unlike kingsford comp that has borax still.

kris
suprfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Our Lowes is still getting Stubbs.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

I was getting a bit concerned too, so I tried to order them from Lowe's online. Then, it asks if I want to pick it up at my local store? So, I call the store and the guy says, "we got a whole pallet".

I jet on down to the store, and there it is on the top of the rack... a whole pallet of Stubb's. So, I bought the whole thing.

Not really, I bought 4 bags with the reassurrance of the sales guy that it wasn't discontinued.

Gotta say, for a readily available briquet I've had very good results with it.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
suprfast
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb25 View Post
I was getting a bit concerned too, so I tried to order them from Lowe's online. Then, it asks if I want to pick it up at my local store? So, I call the store and the guy says, "we got a whole pallet".

I jet on down to the store, and there it is on the top of the rack... a whole pallet of Stubb's. So, I bought the whole thing.

Not really, I bought 4 bags with the reassurrance of the sales guy that it wasn't discontinued.

Gotta say, for a readily available briquet I've had very good results with it.
Maybe this is the case too. It could just be lazy 8.00/hr employees that dont like doing their jobs. Im going to pick a few bags up tomorrow just to be on the safe side. It truly is everything i look for in a briquette.
kris

Old 03-06-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've never used Stubbs....how does the BTU output rate against Kingsford or Royal Oak? I don't need specifics, opinions are valued.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
suprfast
Take a breath!

First thing i noticed about stubbs was how quick it lit compared to kingsford. I need less newspaper and a lot less time. Second thing i noticed when lighting stubbs was the lack of funky smell and SMOKE when lighting in the chute. I like the idea of all natural vs almost all natural with the stumps vs kf comp. For the first few minutes on comp i get a slightly heavier white smoke. Might not be an issue with a standard high temp bbq, but using the minion method the new charcoal will slowly light meaning the white smoke will continuously hit the food. Is this the borax burning off? i havent a clue. Wit the stubbs it burns fairly clean(by the eye and nose) so i would assume my food doesnt get anything
"extra" penetrating it other than my wood flavoring. I know everyone else has different opinions on this and i hope to prove myself a little better in a few smokes since i still have both briquettes to play with
kris

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #7
mbshop
Babbling Farker

just saw a new pallet of stubbs at my lowes so i asked a guy about it. he said they were gonna carry it this year.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:11 AM   #8
suprfast
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
just saw a new pallet of stubbs at my lowes so i asked a guy about it. he said they were gonna carry it this year.
You guys are giving me hope. Im heading out tomorrow to pick up a few bags to hold me over. I wish stubbs would have the same sale that kingsford did last year at lowes and HD. I bought about 20 bags of the double(40 bags total) of the large kingsford 21.6lb(43.2lbs total) and im FINALLY on my last bag. In the middle of all this ive tried many different types of lump and charcoal(RO, Comp, stubbs) and found the stubbs to better suit me.

Ill let you know of my findings tomorrow when i go to lowes.
kris

Old 03-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #9
Queensnewbie
Found some matches.

Yeah just saw a pallet myself here in ny, they even put out a dozen or so original sauce bottles with it.
Queensnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2010, 12:31 AM   #10
snoqualmiesmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Spoke to a buddy who manages a lowes and Stubbs is here to stay, at least in Washington.
snoqualmiesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #11
djensen
Found some matches.

I went to my Lowe's about a week ago for some Stubb's. They had a small pallet of it on the top shelf. After waiting about 30 minutes for them to get it down, the store manager stopped by, and mentioned that they weren't going to be getting any more. I took 8 bags when he told me that.

Dave
djensen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #12
D-BE-QUEIN224
Got Wood.

plenty of stubbs here at my lowes good thing its great charcoal all natural!
D-BE-QUEIN224 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #13
frankenswine
Full Fledged Farker

I spoke with Cowboy a while back. They said that the displays for the Lowes stores in the west would move from the the isles where they were to the end cap for 6 months. Don't understand why. Then in Sept that they did not know if the it would be carried at lowes in the west anymore.

Doug
La Caja China
Weber 22 1/2 Kettle
Kingfisher Kooker
frankenswine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #14
suprfast
Take a breath!

I just left my lowes with only two bags of stubbs. I would have picked up more but i was assured they were not being discontinued. Sure enough as i was leaving there was a huge end cap with stubbs charcoal, stubbs sauce(original only), stubbs wood chips, and weber grills. Im a happy camper for now. Hopefully with myself buying it more it atleast shows they are selling. Not like i buy more than a bag a week though.

kris

Old 05-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #15
stubbsbbq
Found some matches.

Glad to report that Stubb's briquettes are here to stay. No chance of us discontinuing at this time. Glad you all like it. Feel free to reach out if you continue to have availability issues and we'll do our best to help out.
stubbsbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->