Scovie Awards - Pay for results?

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
We entered our rub in the Scovie Awards put on by Fiery Foods. We didn't make the top three in our category... so how did we do? For $65 we could find out! :mad: They sent out an email to all of the competitors saying that you can get a report for $65 that will give you the following information. Basically you get your scores and placement for $65. That's like entering a BBQ contest and not knowing anything about your placement unless you hit the top three. These contests aren't cheap. What a joke!!!

--Product name
--Company name
--Category entered
--Number of entries into Category
--Placement of Product in the Category
--Average scores of your product as compared to perfect scores from the judges in the main judging categories:
Appearance
Aroma
Texture
Spice Blend
Originality
Flavor
Overall Impression
--Comments from judges, if any (they only make comments when they really like or really dislike a product)

If I understand correctly you have to pay to find out that you didn't win? :confused:

(Of course, that assumes that you didn't win, which I would be shocked to find out since your products rock the farking house)

If I understand correctly you have to pay to find out that you didn't win? :confused:

(Of course, that assumes that you didn't win, which I would be shocked to find out since your products rock the farking house)

1st, 2nd & 3rd are posted on the site. If you want scores or full field, you have to pay $65. I guess my entry fee wasn't good enough to get results if I'm 4th.

I guess I won't be paying that subscription to Fiery Foods that just came in the mail this week. Farkers!

From Fiery Foods...

The Scovie Awards Placement and Product Evaluation Report
Dear Scovie Awards Competitor:
With 783 entries into the 2008 Scovie Awards Competition, any win in any category is a big deal—but there are many more products that didn’t place in the top three in a category. If your product finished first in a Scovie category, wouldn’t you want to know how many other entries you beat? On the other hand, if your product finished dead last in a Scovie Awards category with 30 entries, wouldn’t you want to know that sad fact? Wouldn’t you like to know the judges’ scores in the various tasting categories? Wouldn’t you like to know the comments made by the judges, even if they didn’t like your product? And wouldn’t you like to have your product packaging evaluated by an advertising professional?

The Scovies are about product quality as evaluated by food professionals, not about personal egos, so how your product placed in a category will give you much needed feedback on how your product should be competing in the marketplace. Sunbelt Shows is now offering this valuable information to our 2008 Scovie Awards competitors.

Here is the Scovie Placement and Product Evaluation Report information you will receive via email or fax:

--Product name
--Company name
--Category entered
--Number of entries into Category
--Placement of Product in the Category
--Average scores of your product as compared to perfect scores from the judges in the main judging categories:

Appearance

Aroma
Texture
Spice Blend
Originality
Flavor
Overall Impression

--Comments from judges, if any (they only make comments when they really like or really dislike a product)

--Packaging Evaluation from professionally shot photo we take of your entries. (If for any reason we don’t have your product photos, you must supply them.)

Cost: $65 per product report, payable in advance by credit card or check.

Rip Off!!!!

That isn't the way it used to be......I'm sure if enough people that entered it complained that they would change their ways. If I remember correctly, it isn't cheap to enter the Scovies either. Not good.....not good at all!

I do admit this is a surprising concept. I have a couple questions:

Did you know this up front?

Are you comfortable with them spreading the news of how poorly (hypothetically speaking of course - imagine you came in LAST for example) your product performed? That could be damaging to the brand.

Not saying it is right or wrong, but at least they can not be blamed for spreading poor results of entrants if you need to pay to see them.

That isn't the way it used to be......I'm sure if enough people that entered it complained that they would change their ways. If I remember correctly, it isn't cheap to enter the Scovies either. Not good.....not good at all!

No, it was NOT cheap.

I do admit this is a surprising concept. I have a couple questions:

Did you know this up front?

Are you comfortable with them spreading the news of how poorly (hypothetically speaking of course - imagine you came in LAST for example) your product performed? That could be damaging to the brand.

Not saying it is right or wrong, but at least they can not be blamed for spreading poor results of entrants if you need to pay to see them.

Absolutely did not know this up front. At least the contestants should know how they did. That's like saying that someone like Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibsons wouldn't want results posted if he doesn't win the American Royal because his brand will suffer. Anyone around contests knows that the top dog isn't always the top. You don't win them all.

Sounds similar to the Business Journals listings of businesses by catagory/field. The week they have a list dealing with your catagory/field, they hit you up for an ad. You place the ad, you get on the list. No ad, no placement.

Well, after a rant to the author of the email from FF, we found out that we ranked 8th out of 22. The top three were only separated by a point and we were just four points out of first. At least we weren't last.

BTW--- not to change the subject, but when you get the American Royal online survey, make sure to tell them about their sauce and rub contest results!! I really called them to the carpet about the lack of results.

Spice

BTW--- not to change the subject, but when you get the American Royal online survey, make sure to tell them about their sauce and rub contest results!! I really called them to the carpet about the lack of results.

Spice

Already got an ear full from me, too. I was forwarded part of an email written by the committee that ran the Royal sauce contest. Jolene is going to get back control of this for next year.

When examining the ballots you will see that many of the ballots were not clearly filled out and were vague as to what was being voted for. In addition, there were a relatively small number of votes cast overall, with the majority of sauces not receiving any votes at all. This was simply a function of the format and high store activity…….When you review the ballots, you may determine a way to assign rankings that go beyond first place. Even if this is the case, we respectfully suggest that it would be a mistake to do so. This event was not, and never was intended to be a substitute for the Price Waterhouse controlled, blind judged, formalized contest that has occurred in the past.”

You should be really proud because you won one of your categories and didn't even "volunteer" at the sauce/rub booth. I was surprised how many of the product makers were working the People's Choice at the Royal. One guy had a corner where he was showing off his product. Told them that next year to plan for us working the booth. We'll have a Plowboys BBQ mascot and Plowboys BBQ balloons for the kids. "Oh, you want me to promote ALL of the products?" :mad:

Like I said, you won AGAINST those odds. And I'm not trying to minimize the accomplishments of anyone that took top honors. They clearly were the best of the contest. The rest of us just have no clue how we fell out. I'd be pumped to know that I was top 5.

I had 4 other products that I have no clue how they did!! That was my point, and yes I did win 1 catagory but would still like to know where my sauces ranked as well as my other rub!!

Is that wrong????

I had 4 other products that I have no clue how they did!! That was my point, and yes I did win 1 catagory but would still like to know where my sauces ranked as well as my other rub!!

Is that wrong????

Not at all!!! I feel ya, Dog!

Farking Outrageous!!!! Here is another example of the sneaky downright underhanded way too much chit works these days. They would have been better off saying the entry fee is X amount of $$$$ but it also includes the results wich we used to charge 65$ dollars for....still outrageous, but at least honest. Farkers!!!

If I ever was going to consider a subsribtion to their magazine, they just lost my bussinness. As a matter of fact, I think I will send off a little letter to the subscrition department today and tell them I was going to subscibe...but have serious misgiving's because of these kind of bussiness practices.

Seems like the scovies will not be around long if they don't advise folks up front on the logistics of getting results back. Can't believe they would not disclose that up front!

Back