non-sanctioned event

smoke-n-my-i's

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Would you consider competing in a non-sanctioned event if:

No cash prize, only a 1st place trophy, no entry fee....

We had a meeting at our church, and since we had a bbq cookout last Sept., and a competition buddy of mine came and we cooked together, they are thinking of have maybe 4-6 "teams" come and cook. Let everyone vote on the best and give out a 1st place trophy.

We are thinking the end of March of next year, so this could be a "practice" to get warmed up so to speak for the season. There would be a few stipulations, and the meat would have to be donated for the noon lunch. What was left over could be taken if you wanted it.

We are in the planning stages, but some input would be great.

BTW, I would not compete so there would be no conflict of interest when I wooped ya....:wink:

Thanks,
Bill

Lots of possibilities here.

Who buys the meat?
Line up a meat sponsor and go for it!

How many "spectator/judges"?
That would determine the quantity of meat to be cooked.

I think it is a great idea with lots of potential for fun and maybe some $$ for the Church.

TIM

No Entry Fee?
Blind Box or Peoples Choice?

This was just thrown out to me yesterday... so we haven't really discussed it much.

So far, we are tossing no entry fee.....

People's choice for the judging, but with blind judging similar to KCBS...

We will discuss and work out more details.... any suggestions welcome.

Lots of possibilities here.

Who buys the meat?
Line up a meat sponsor and go for it!

How many "spectator/judges"?
That would determine the quantity of meat to be cooked.

I think it is a great idea with lots of potential for fun and maybe some $$ for the Church.

TIM

We are thinking the teams provide the meat. I suppose that would be the entry fee.... :eek:

The spectators would be any body that wants to come by. The judges would be the congregation eating lunch on Sunday, People's choice judging.
We would have a special day with music, etc.... we had one at the end of Aug, and everyone loved it.

We are not looking to make money off of it, just a great time for everyone.

I'd compete.. for the love of cooking..

Keep your eye here, and as we get all the details work out, I will let everyone know. We are thinking of restricting it to maybe 6 teams, but who knows.... it could be a great time.

Especially if we really advertise it... who wouldn't show up for free BBQ?????

Back