MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #1291
SmokinCoyote
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Dude View Post
okay...........only up to page 53 of this long thread, but thought i would jump to the end, and ask this question.......

My drum is only 22 1/4 inside dia., so the weber grate won't werk........does anyone know where i can find a 22 inch grate?

TIA.....
Have you tried putting the grate in the drum to see if it will fit? The reason I ask is even though the grate is for a 22 1/2 in grill it isn't actually 22 1/2 inches. I just went out and measured. My drum is 22 1/4 inches like yours but the Weber grate only measures
21 1/2 inches so it should fit. Maybe I jipped on an inch on my grate and everyone else's is bigger. This is a replacement 22.5" grate from weber so maybe the ones that come with a kettle grill are actually 22.5" but this one fits fine.
It ain't real Q until that precise moment, while watching the sunrise through a wisp of sweet smelling blue smoke, that a tough brisket finally surrenders itself to the gentle heat of an all wood fire and becomes a tender, juicy, smokey masterpiece.
Wiley "SmokinCoyote" Mixon
Klose 20 X 60 mobile
UDS
WSM
Red Thermapen

SmokinCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #1292
TexaQ
On the road to being a farker

A Weber grate should work; should be 21 1/2" in diameter. My Weber replacement grate is 21 1/12" and fits in my 22 1/2 outside diameter barrel.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #1293
Walking Dude
Found some matches.

thankx guys...........will take my tape measure to Home dePOT tomorrow and check...........while i price the other parts
Walking Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2008, 05:54 PM   #1294
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
...........will take my tape measure to Home dePOT tomorrow
no need to do that , just pull one of theirs off the shelf and use it
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:36 PM   #1295
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
okay...........only up to page 53 of this long thread, but thought i would jump to the end, and ask this question.......

My drum is only 22 1/4 inside dia., so the weber grate won't werk........does anyone know where i can find a 22 inch grate?

TIA.....
Keep on reading........
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #1296
StayDown

WOW!!! I did it! I made it all the way through this entire thread. I found my drums locally for $30 and have been cleaned, burned and ball bearing blasted. I will be building my first UDS as soon as I get back from Cali next week!!

I wish I would have made notes as I went seeing how I will have to wade back through to gather my ideas.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread!!

Old 07-01-2008, 09:34 AM   #1297
Norcoredneck

Where you going/coming to in Cali?

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2008, 10:04 AM   #1298
StayDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Where you going/coming to in Cali?

I will be in Orange County on the 3rd through the 7th.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #1299
CarolinaQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Drum Smoker:

I got my drum smoker completed and did a second test run today. Temps have held between 200 and 235 for the last 12 hours. Couldn't ask for better temps.
I put in three 3/4 intake vents in the bottom using ball valves on two opposing holes.
Only using the 2 inch and 3/4 inch exhaust holes in the orginal drum top.
My charcoal ring is six inches high and thirteen inches in diameter and holds approximately twelve pounds of briqs and it probably will burn 15 to 16 hours total which is far more than needed.
All I'm waiting on is some much needed rain so I can do my burn out. We haven't had rain in months and we are under a NO BURN ban here in Western NC.

Thanks to all you guys for all the info that was posted on this topic.
CarolinaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2008, 09:43 AM   #1300
ComputerMike
Take a breath!

I can to cut the lid off my drum as it was a little too big to fit the kettle lid. I ground down the lip with an angle grinder, then a belt sander and finally a little hand sanding. Worked great.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #1301
The Bengal Thing
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Weber lids don't fit most drums. There is a kingsford 22.5 grill that fits better. Groceries stores of sometimes Lowes or CVS has them .

HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!! I am new here and looking into building a UDS. As it turns out..... I won the Kingsford 22.5 grill in a contest and will be getting it in a few weeks. I already have a grill, but thought a new one would be cool. Now I find out it will likely fit my UDS (when I get around to building it), I think it's fate.

Hopefully a food grade steel drum will be in my yard when I get home from work one day next week! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayDown View Post
WOW!!! I did it! I made it all the way through this entire thread. I found my drums locally for $30 and have been cleaned, burned and ball bearing blasted. I will be building my first UDS as soon as I get back from Cali next week!!

I wish I would have made notes as I went seeing how I will have to wade back through to gather my ideas.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread!!
Hey buddy.....

Thanks for recommending this site! I can find some drums for $10 here in the BUS on craigslist. Where can I get it ball blasted or whatever it is you are talking about.

Don't worry about not taking notes throughout this thread, just make sure you take notes while you are building it and when you go back through this thread.....that way you can help me make mine better than yours! hahaha
The Bengal Thing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2008, 08:49 AM   #1302
StayDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bengal Thing View Post
HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!! I am new here and looking into building a UDS. As it turns out..... I won the Kingsford 22.5 grill in a contest and will be getting it in a few weeks. I already have a grill, but thought a new one would be cool. Now I find out it will likely fit my UDS (when I get around to building it), I think it's fate.

Hopefully a food grade steel drum will be in my yard when I get home from work one day next week! haha

Hey buddy.....

Thanks for recommending this site! I can find some drums for $10 here in the BUS on craigslist. Where can I get it ball blasted or whatever it is you are talking about.

Don't worry about not taking notes throughout this thread, just make sure you take notes while you are building it and when you go back through this thread.....that way you can help me make mine better than yours! hahaha

no need to get it blasted. Just do a couple of burns and it should take care of all that!

I just got a call from a guy answering my ad on craigslist (drums needed). I am calling them when I get home because they use a ton of drums and usually scrap them. I am gonna take them off their hands for free and see if I can build a fleet of UDS

Old 07-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #1303
TysDad
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
....build a fleet of UDS
Would that be a 6 pack, a 12 pack or a case? 6 UDS painted as your favorite beverage would look very cool --- but how would you make the plastic holder?

[FONT=Times New Roman]Stainless Pool Filter Drum, BarBChef offset, charcoal GOSM, a gasser and a weed burner.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Henckels Twin Cuisine knives, CDN ProAccurate fast thermometer, Maverick Dual Probe Wireless thermometer, and lots more cooking tools.[/FONT]

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well, and live."
TysDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #1304
The Bengal Thing
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
no need to get it blasted. Just do a couple of burns and it should take care of all that!

I just got a call from a guy answering my ad on craigslist (drums needed). I am calling them when I get home because they use a ton of drums and usually scrap them. I am gonna take them off their hands for free and see if I can build a fleet of UDS

Oh, well I wanted to do what you did and you talked about getting it blasted.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #1305
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by TysDad View Post
Would that be a 6 pack, a 12 pack or a case? 6 UDS painted as your favorite beverage would look very cool --- but how would you make the plastic holder?

#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker