MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:07 PM   #1
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Default Electric smoker as a warming oven?

Has anyone ever used an electric smoker as a warming oven? I am thinking about getting a cheap electric smoker to use for long holding of big cuts of meat. Any brands and models would be helpful. My oven only goes down to 170 and it doesn't seem to stay real close to that. Thanks.

Old 03-01-2021, 10:19 PM   #2
smokin'hoogie
Full Fledged Farker

I have 2 older model cookshacks SM08 and not only are they great smokers but are great for holding. The self contained insulted interiors lend themselves nicely for that use.

I'm sure the newer ones would work just as well.

Old 03-01-2021, 10:38 PM   #3
rmr24
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : MR

I have used my Masterbuilt Electric to hold briskets, fill water pan and set temp to around 180-190 and it keeps brisket around 160. Works well.
rmr24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2021, 06:22 AM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm sure they will work fine as long as you have a low temperature setting.

I use a 24" wide Camp Chef propane smoker as a portable holing oven for large gatherings events where there is no oven. It hold 4 full size pans easily. This works fine for my needs, just keep an eye on the temperature so you don't continue to cook the meat (overcook). Depending upon how the smoker is constructed, you may have to rotate trays/pans for even heating of multiple pans.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2021, 11:56 AM   #5
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Check out the Smokin Tex Pro Series electric smokers, there are several models to choose from. A local caterer used them for on-site holding and cooking as some safety meeting lunches. I don't recall which model I saw but the temp range was from like 150° to 250°. Their cook told me they are a prime rib cooking machine and I would tend to agree as I smoke my prime ribs at 225°.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2021, 12:10 PM   #6
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

This thread prompted me to buy this thing on the relatively speaking cheap.

I have a spot dedicated for my cambro as part of my outdoor kitchen, and I am going to replace it with this thing. Hopefully it works because a) it fits and b) it is a lot cheaper than the commercial ones. I've so many times wished I had a warming drawer or equivalent of this thing versus sweating the timing on big meats.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll probably try putting a couple of small pans under the bottom shelf full of water to keep it humid too.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-02-2021, 12:36 PM   #7
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjax View Post

I have a spot dedicated for my cambro as part of my outdoor kitchen, and I am going to replace it with this thing. Hopefully it works because a) it fits and b) it is a lot cheaper than the commercial ones. I've so many times wished I had a warming drawer or equivalent of this thing versus sweating the timing on big meats.

I'll probably try putting a couple of small pans under the bottom shelf full of water to keep it humid too.
That's really nice. A little more than I wanted to spend though.

Old 03-02-2021, 12:38 PM   #8
Hamdrew
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Hamdrew

sure

u could drill a hole in an old metal file cabinet and stick a heatgun in it. for catering hotels its just a bunch of Sternos (methanol gel cans u light on fire) in a big metal box on wheels
Hamdrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2021, 01:32 PM   #9
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Default Electric smoker as a warming oven?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Kadian View Post
Has anyone ever used an electric smoker as a warming oven? I am thinking about getting a cheap electric smoker to use for long holding of big cuts of meat.

Yes. It passes a health department inspection as well. I think it’s a Masterbuilt, but it’s a pretty cheap one that only holds half pans.

Last edited by luke duke; 03-02-2021 at 01:44 PM..
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2021, 04:38 PM   #10
robertm
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ROBERT

Quote:

That thing it pretty sweet! I've been looking at food warming drawers for outdoor kitchen. All are more expensive and way less functional than that. I may have to go that route as well. Maybe post a thread on it if you don't mind after using for a bit!

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-03-2021, 01:14 PM   #11
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

A guy on the Facebook is selling a masterbuilt 30 in electric smoker for $75. I can probably get it for around $50. What do you guys think about it?

Old 03-03-2021, 04:55 PM   #12
DECENT BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Derrick

Quote:

THANK YOU for posting this! This is exactly what I need!
DECENT BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2021, 06:03 PM   #13
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

I would look at a used Cookshack smoker made in your home state in Ponca City. They are insulated, made out of heavy gage steel, and last forever. Here's one on the OKC Craigslist: https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/...255727048.html

Here's another one south of Ft. Worth: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...etplace_search
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #14
robertm
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ROBERT

Quote:

Dying to know how you like it! Please make a new thread and give us the lowdown!!

Old 04-07-2021, 04:11 PM   #15
Gimmethecash
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Steven

Out of the price range for this project, but my Cookshack SM066 works great for both finishing (sans wood chips) or for holding, as it will go down to 140 and can hold automatically if I’m finishing something big overnight and the meat hits a set internal temp.

I re-purposed it for this once I got my stick burner, as I like the flavor from burning sticks much better, and it allows me to spend a few quality hours drinking & feeding the fire & infusing smoke into one or more large pieces of meat, followed by letting the electric handle the boring job of finishing the cooking while I sleep or whatever.
Camp Chef FTG600
Cookshack Amerique
2 x Sous Vide Supreme
Minipack MV31X
Gimmethecash is offline   Reply With Quote