MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:21 PM   #346
tntitan
On the road to being a farker

mine is 3 inches

Old 07-25-2007, 05:16 PM   #347
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntitan View Post
mine is 3 inches
Taken out of context (top of page when I opened thread), could be bad!

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2007, 05:22 PM   #348
Norcoredneck

Most standard thermometers are @ 3-4 inches. I used a long temp probe in mine and the thermometer reads about 200Deg. when probe 6-8" in reads @250. I think this is part of the reason people say they cook faster. I run mine where the dial is "clocked" at 200 straight up. I can sit inside an still see it and know where it is even with my crooked eye no matter how many beers (short of passing out).

Ok let's see your Butt!

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-25-2007, 05:36 PM   #349
Thawley
Take a breath!

Quote:
You farkers should start a new thread about welding
This is not Q-Talk info...
Okay, here's The Welder Thread then.

Also, I've posted a separate thread for UUDS™ Foot-Operated Air Vents & fire-basket/ash-pan combo. Just wanted to link it here with the rest of the UDS info...

Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2007, 01:43 AM   #350
BizoQ
Found some matches.

WOW! What a great thread! Just finished reading from start to finish (at work no less!) and will now start searching for a 55-gal drum barrel for my very own attempt at one of these beauties. After all, how could something like these homemade smokers be called ugly?!
BizoQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2007, 11:47 AM   #351
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Started on my UDS project yesterday. Man, let me tell you, I do not really know steel thickness and such, but it is a bitch to weld thin gauge with a stick...you all keep that in mind when you look at my beads and my over all work! Looks like I will be ripping off many mods from this site! Anyway someone posted on here about finished look, heck the grinder is my best welding instrument! Will try and put up some pictures today!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2007, 11:56 AM   #352
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Started on my UDS project yesterday. Man, let me tell you, I do not really know steel thickness and such, but it is a bitch to weld thin gauge with a stick...you all keep that in mind when you look at my beads and my over all work! Looks like I will be ripping off many mods from this site! Anyway someone posted on here about finished look, heck the grinder is my best welding instrument! Will try and put up some pictures today!
Burn baby burn. Not Grand Champion quality Bentley?

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 07-31-2007, 02:18 PM   #353
tntitan
On the road to being a farker

bentley when i burnt the paint off the inside and outside my finish came by spraying veg.oil on the outside of the barrel when the fire was hot it made the finish like gloss black also it protects it from rusting

Old 08-02-2007, 12:54 AM   #354
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Burn baby burn. Not Grand Champion quality Bentley?

I guess not. Definition of Nimrod: Bentley

Example: Guess which slot I had the work in and which one I had electrode in for the AC application?

The scary part is that the ThunderBolt unit has this exact drawing on the front of the unit, except for the writing on the right side! Farken scary! And I was making fun of the French guy on Who wants to be a Millionaire! You know, I dont remember doing glue as a teenager!

I expect my welds to be much better tomorrow, actually went out into the garage tonight and switched them so I would not forget! Maybe it wont splatter so much tomorrow! I also broke down and bought a Miller self-darkening helmet, man was that worth the money!

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Old 08-02-2007, 10:49 PM   #355
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Default The journy begins...

Well, time to let you make fun of my welding! The evil thin lid!

Started out with this...

Ended up with this...

and this...

Adjusting the Miller did nothing, I still burn through! Arghhhhh!

Mista, weed bunner is the way to go on burning out barrels!

To much to do tomorrow and Saturday, will get back at it in Sunday or Monday! Just need to put in nipples and ball valve, TRY and weld some brackets inside to hold the grates and make the fire box!

Sure could use some ideas on a paint job, would love to do something special, but I am not much when it come to design or insperation! Any suggestions Brothers!

Old 08-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #356
ipls3355
is one Smokin' Farker

I got a couple food grade barrels with the coated inside. I built one farking hot fire in and around the barrels but it still has a good amount of the inside paint. The fire was 10 times hotter then any cook that would be done. Does all the inside paint need to be removed?

Crankin out Q on my ECB since 2005
UDS born September, 2007
22" Weber Kettle
18" Weber Kettle
ipls3355 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2007, 01:00 PM   #357
rlic80
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Charcoal basket...thoughts...

For those of you who've gone through these builds before, what do y'all think about this as a charcoal basket?

I plan on using a whole lot more char lumps than brickettes and it's low design would allow the fire to remain 24" below the grill grate. My only concern is the overall size in not being able to concentrate the fire in one tightly packed area, but rather over 18" or so.

Thoughts? I'm a first time builder and a newbie 'que-er.
rlic80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #358
motley que
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipls3355 View Post
I got a couple food grade barrels with the coated inside. I built one farking hot fire in and around the barrels but it still has a good amount of the inside paint. The fire was 10 times hotter then any cook that would be done. Does all the inside paint need to be removed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlic80 View Post
For those of you who've gone through these builds before, what do y'all think about this as a charcoal basket?

I plan on using a whole lot more char lumps than brickettes and it's low design would allow the fire to remain 24" below the grill grate. My only concern is the overall size in not being able to concentrate the fire in one tightly packed area, but rather over 18" or so.

Yes you need to get the inside liner out. use a weed burner from the outside. that will make it go fast.

for a basket if you dont want to assemble one, you can take a water pan from a ECB and drill holes in it and rest it on a grate near the bottom. i got a good 12 hour burn out of one of those.
30 qt outdoor cooker
Blue Drum Smoker
Red Drum Smoker
Orange Drum Smoker
Weber Smokey Joe - my 3 yr olds pit
Blue Thermopen
Harbor Freight Weed Burner

Tired, but wiser for the time
motley que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2007, 01:30 PM   #359
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlic80 View Post

Kinda heavy, but don't see why it wouldn't work if it'll fit in the drum. Are you planning on anything around it to contain the coals?

This is a 18" Weber kettle with a chitload of 1/2" holes and the coal grate for all you tidy MOFO's that want the ash can mod!

Of course you'll have to empty it more often if your using Rancher briqs!

Brian
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2007, 01:45 PM   #360
Grillman40
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntitan View Post
mine is 3 inches
I agree with Norco. Thought I jumped into the wrong forum for a second.

Lang 84 Deluxe w/drum grill addition
WSM
Bar-B-Chef Grill
Stainless Bar-B-Chef built in
Stainless Gran Turbo Gasser built in
86 Gal Monster Drum in da works

Retired U.S. Marine
Grillman40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker