• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How much wood could...

wmrrock

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
How much wood and what types of wood are used for smokes? I have been using apple for most of my butts, but I have recently heard that apple contains the most pesticides of all woods. I have also used the Jack Daniels wood chips but didn't think much of them. Thoughts?

Depends on your smoker.. some UDS types take only a few chunks... My Stick Burner will burn much more wood in the same amount of time.. so thats why i'm asking what kind of smoker...

Post oak & Mesquite because I get it free if you don't count the saw gas ,oil and labor to cut split & stack it. Chips are for grilling unless your running an all electric box. BGE = chunks. Try some Pecan & Hickory. 3-4 Manly fist sized pieces per cook.

Last edited:
How much wood and what types of wood are used for smokes? I have been using apple for most of my butts, but I have recently heard that apple contains the most pesticides of all woods. I have also used the Jack Daniels wood chips but didn't think much of them. Thoughts?

Apple wood does not contain any pesticides. Pesticides used in orchards are water soluable and have to be reapplied after a rain. This is why you are urged to rinse fruit before you eat it. If you are really worried about it find apple trees that no longer produce fruit.

I love Mesquite and try to use as much as I can get my hands on but being from the NE we do not have many choices other than that and Hickory that I don't care for much.

Here's a start:

"Flavorite" Barbecue Woods

Barbecue woods that are used vary greatly depending on demographic location and other factors and variables. Two of the favorites from here in the Oklahoma area is hickory and mesquite. In Texas it is predominately mesquite.
I have listed all of the popular types of wood below with a short description of each however I highly recommend that you do not take anyone's word for it (including my own) but that you will experiment and see what works for you.
Types of Barbecue Woods

Apple: Produces a sweet, fruity taste.Good mild wood which works well on poultry and ham.
Alder: What can I say about this barbecue wood… it is the wood that is greatly preferred for most any fish especially salmon.
Cherry: Similar to apple… sweet and usually very fruity depending on the age of the wood. Tends to be mild making it a good choice for poultry, fish, and ham.
Hickory: Probably the most well known woods and while lots of folk may disagree, it tends to be a bit to pungent for my own taste therefore great care must be taken so that it is not overused. Most feel it is excellent on ribs and most red meats. Can also be used very sparingly on cuts of poultry. (should be able to get this at the local hardware/department store)​
Maple: Gives a light and sweet taste which best compliments poultry and ham.
Mesquite: My personal favorite barbecue wood however, great care must be taken or it can become overpowering. Best not used for larger cuts which require longer smoking times but I have been known to be quite successful at it by using it in tandem with another type of wood. (should be able to get this at the local hardware/department store)​
Oak: Good choice for larger cuts which require longer smoking times. Produces a strong smoke flavor but usually not overpowering. Good wood for Brisket.
Pecan: Gives somewhat of a fruity flavor and burns cooler than most other barbecue woods. It is similar to Hickory and is best used on large cuts like brisket and pork roast but can also be used to compliment chops, fish and poultry.​

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Sorry, I had to post that. :razz:

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

As much ground a groundhog could grind if a groundhog could grind ground

you don't know how long I've been waiting to answer that question :laugh:

I love hickory and/or maple for all my pork cooks. Don't do much beef but the little bit I have done has been with oak. I do like the JD smoking chips for chicken but mesquite usually is used for my chicken cooks.

Back