Lamb, My throwdown entry. Prons

Chef Jim

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Thought those of you that don't watch the throwdowdns might like to see this one.

I have always wanted to travel to Australia or New Zealand. When I was growing up we always associated Lamb with New Zealand. I guess because there was not much American Lamb available.

Think that had to do with range wars over grazing rights, but I digress.

I remembered reading a thread awhile back where someone was having trouble with Lamb and its been stuck in my head ever since.

Well I have to tell you that I love Lamb, but Sharon (BHSLH), doesn't. Then just last week she relented and said if it was cooked outside she would eat it.:clap2:

So here is my entry.

First the basic stuff. There are a few things that aren't in the Pron but you will see them.

Ingerdients.jpg

First I cut slits and put in fresh garlic, then seasoned the Lamb with my very special blend. Salt, Pepper, and then I remembered that I had fresh Rosemary in the garden. Gotta have that on Lamb!

Seasoned.jpg

Then on to the Offset. I've been having some fire control problems with this one and wanted to work on it before I have 40 people over in just over a week. Also added a Red Pepper and a wrapped Sweet Potato. I used Cowboy lump, Hickory, and Australian Pine to finish it,

Just-On.jpg

Temps were no problem today, it held a steady 227 on the Maverick. The only problem was that it was only a 3 lb. leg and it cooked in 2.75 hours. Now what do I do? :pray::pray:

I took it off and double wrapped it with HD foil and then into a very big towel, and into the oven to rest. It was easier to use the oven than a cooler. Potato, and pepper were done too. Here is the Lamb when I unwrapped it.

Just-Off.jpg

Great color and seemed tender.:clap2::clap2: Then for the big moment, what did it look like inside?

I was thinking Med Rare.:pray:

Sliced.jpg

Yes Yes, Its perfect:clap2::clap2:

So the next thing is to plate it. Added the baked Sweet Potato, some Green Beans with some of the roasted red pepper. Chris, please use this next photo.

MoneyShot.jpg

What a meal!! The Lamb had a nice smoke ring and an awesome flavor. Sharon (BHSLH) said it was the best she had ever had. And we can have it again.:clap2: The sweet potato was also perfect. Soft and well done with no extras like marshmallows of sugar. Just a touch of butter.

It's definitely nice to see something other than the beef or pork line-up around here. Your plate looks delicious!!!

What? No mint jelly from Crosse & Blackwell?

That is some good looking lamb, looks like you cooked it just right.

What? No mint jelly from Crosse & Blackwell?

That is some good looking lamb, looks like you cooked it just right.

Not a fan of sweet, so the mint jelly is out for me. But you can have all you want if you bring your own.:laugh:

You are killing me I love Lamb but my wife won`t eat it.

Same with my wife, but as I stated, she loved it. Just show your honey my prons.

Wow, the first recipient of one of Bill's ticks. Guess everyone will be wanting one now -- hmmmm, how to work some lamb on the menu next week....

Jim,

Congratulatons..

For those of you who do not watch the Throwdowns, please go to the current TD for the full info....

Ta Daaaaaaaa...

ALFTickofApproval.gif

Cheers Chef Jim!!!!

Bill

Thank you bill, this is a real honor. Am I really the first? Jim

Jim,

Congratulatons..

For those of you who do not watch the Throwdowns, please go to the current TD for the full info....

Ta Daaaaaaaa...

ALFTickofApproval.gif

Cheers Chef Jim!!!!

Bill

Can't sit idly by for this twice, Bill

Point of order, and honour. Chef Jim titled his original Throwdown post post "New Zealand", not "Austrarkinfalia" !!!!!!:boxing:

You lot would steal anything from New Zealand, it's in in your blood- Phar Lap, Pavlova, Anzac bikkies, Crowded House, Keith Urban, Russell Crowe, (...well, you can keep Russell Crowe)....the list is endless. Farkers.

Nice award though, next time I do up a leg I'll make sure it's Australian lamb and put in for it :thumb:. It'll look good next to the Rugby League World Cup..

- Dave (stepping down off his inferiority complex soapbox...)

G'Day Jim, Yes, this is the first time I've made the award.

To NZ Rebel, there's no need to be offended. It's an international thing. Yes, Jim titled it NZ, but also mentioned Australia in the text. I also checked the Lamb... It's USA origin... But the main thing is.... IT's LAMB!

We should promote lamb!

Also, as far as Aussies nicking everything good that comes out of NZ... well, we have to get our talent from somewheres.... and since Australia is the first big stepping point for most NZ'ers wishing to travel, sometimes it sticks. You sure can have Russell Crow back though!

Cheers!

Bill

G'Day Jim, Yes, this is the first time I've made the award.

To NZ Rebel, there's no need to be offended. It's an international thing. Yes, Jim titled it NZ, but also mentioned Australia in the text. I also checked the Lamb... It's USA origin... But the main thing is.... IT's LAMB!

We should promote lamb!

Also, as far as Aussies nicking everything good that comes out of NZ... well, we have to get our talent from somewheres.... and since Australia is the first big stepping point for most NZ'ers wishing to travel, sometimes it sticks. You sure can have Russell Crow back though!

Cheers!

Bill

Agreed, lamb is where it's at. I've converted more than a few doubters over here.

Most of the good lamb available now in the states is cryovaced fresh Aussie lamb and it's EXCELLENT.

No offense taken or offered, of course, I just wanted to make sure Chef Jim didn't spend ALL of his fabulous US tourist $$ visiting 'Straya.

And sorry, Russell is now yours, confirmed Strine when he bought the Sydney Roosters, of all things

Cheers
Dave

"No offense taken or offered, of course, I just wanted to make sure Chef Jim didn't spend ALL of his fabulous US tourist $$ visiting 'Straya."

How bout I visit both? :clap2::clap2:

Back