• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

cast iron surface rust

mbshop

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
i got two new 10" and 12" lodge pans that i bought long ago cheaply at wm. one has the pre seasoned stuff on it. both got negelected outside(forgotten) but under cover. both have a lot of surface rust. anyone got a good way to deal with this ? i don't think they really need the heavy treatment of electrolosis(sp). thanks,

green scotchbrite pad, a little soap and water.... reseason in the oven.

Sets you back a little, but after a time or two frying you'll never know.

RMR

Gith - what rocketmanray said. You can also find seasoning instructions online or lodge even prints them on the bottom of some of their pans sometimes. Not to worry - the beauty part of cast iron pans is they are virtually indestructable.

Gith - what rocketmanray said. You can also find seasoning instructions online or lodge even prints them on the bottom of some of their pans sometimes. Not to worry - the beauty part of cast iron pans is they are virtually indestructable.

If the scotchbrite doesn't work, take it to a paint shop and they can put it in a sandblast cabinet and knock it off it is pitted.

A couple of years ago I had a cast-iron dutch oven that was pretty rusty. I tried a few different ways (don't remember which) to get it clean, but none had worked extremely well. I do recall that I ended up using kosher salt as an abrasive while I scrubbed it and it worked great. There are probably many methods that would work just as well, but for me using some kosher salt and a scouring pad got the job done.

000 or 0000 steel wool with a splash of rubbing alcohol. To re-season (and to protect) I use food grade mineral oil - I also use it on my wood cutting board. If I remember correctly to season you leave in the oven for 2-4 hours at 250, I re-oiled and did this again so I had a good layer down.

Also, when cleaning, never use soap - just hot water, dry immediately, and oil for storage.

I've had good luck with a wire brush on a screwdriver and then reseasoning.

They make a product just for this purpose. I bought some last time I was in Bass Pro. Think its called cleaner. Then re-season.

A little plain white vinegar will take it right off in just a few minutes. Youll need to neutralize the acetic acid when your done with some sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and water.

coca-cola will clean it up nicely. then wash well with soap and water and make sure you rinse it completely, then reseason.

stainless or brass wire wheel for a grinder or drill. then re season. use it on all my rusty or burnt out pots and pans

A couple of years ago I had a cast-iron dutch oven that was pretty rusty. I tried a few different ways (don't remember which) to get it clean, but none had worked extremely well. I do recall that I ended up using kosher salt as an abrasive while I scrubbed it and it worked great. There are probably many methods that would work just as well, but for me using some kosher salt and a scouring pad got the job done.

Believe it r not, I've had great results cleaning up crud like that with the Koser salt and a half lemon. If it was real bad, us the other half. Or, go to a second lemon. Don't know what the chemestry is, but I was pleased with the result.

Believe it r not, I've had great results cleaning up crud like that with the Koser salt and a half lemon. If it was real bad, us the other half. Or, go to a second lemon. Don't know what the chemestry is, but I was pleased with the result.

Yeah - the lemon is acidic so it works well in cutting through a lot of the rust and old "gunk" that may be on the cast iron. Vinegar also works well for this.
I would shy away from using steel wool or an abrasive wheel (noted above) unless you plan on reseasoning the whole pan again.

Someone also quoted above to never use soap and water on you CI pan. Words to live by. I like the kosher salt and synthetic scrubbing pad idea.

If any of my cast iron rusts I clean it with a SOS pan and water. When the rust is gone I rub it down with Crisco and heat in the oven.

Just use a wire brush and then spray with Pam cooking spray and heat up in a gas grill. Do that a few times and it will be good as new.

Cast Iron care is a simple source for many arguements and disagreements.

Many methods are listed here and some methods disagree.

It sounds like you have simple moderate surface rust. Yes electrolysis will remove it, however that method will remove ALL of the seasoning on the cast iron piece---and it sounds like you do not need to get that drastic. Soaking in lye will remove all seasoning and rust, but also is a drastic measure.

Some folks say use soap and water or SOS pads with soap in them. Others pull their hair out at the mention of soap and cast iron in the same sentence. Soap can be used on well seasoned cast iron, because the seasoning's coating protects the porous cast iron from soap residue leaching into the pores. If you have "rusty" cast iron then it is not "well seasoned" and therefore may soak soap smell and taste into the cast iron.

Some folks say use a wire wheel on a rotating drill to remove the rust. Rotating wire wheels work great on cast iron that has never been seasoned---but seasoning is mainly carbon and wire wheels rotating fast seem to "swirl" the seasoning that exists in cast iron that has been previously seasoned.

In getting rid of rust---the cast iron should be inspected to see if it has ever been seasoned and then decide---either remove all rust and all seasoning ---or remove surface rust and do minimal damage to the existing seasoning.

Acidic liquid will remove rust and also remove seasoning---but acid removes it at a slow, controlable pace----so cast iron can be soaked in acidic, vinegar, coca cola, citric juices, etc. and lightly scrubbed with scrubbing toolsuntil the surface rust is gone and the piece requires rinsing and then a light coating of seasoning---rather than completely removing everything and starting over with seasoning process.

I cook, cater and do historical reenactments using cast iron equipment and have restored many pieces of cast iron---but I am not an expert. I have found that 20 people will give you 20 different opinions. I have stumbled along and try to do as little damage to a piece of cast iron while simply trying to make it usable.

I vote for soaking in vinegar then light scrubbing with a stainless steel, brass, or best of all plastic scrubber. (trying not to scratch up previously seasoned piece) If a utensil is needed to scrape harder try to use a wooden spoon or a bamboo utensil to avoid marring surface. Rinse cast iron then heat it up to make sure no moisture is retained in cast iron pores and lightly season with whatever you use. I use olive oil because I can get it cheap or free from local olive oil producers. I use vinegar because it is cheaper than Coca Cola or other acidic liquids, and is easy to buy by the gallon. I do not use these products because I think that they are the only thing to use----I use them because they are "easy" for me.

Happy cookin on your cast iron cookware
This is simply how I do it

Great question. Chuckwagon = Thanks for explanation of your methods.

Back