Know your cuts of meat!!!

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne
G'day....8)

Bill here from Oztralia.

I've got a problem and I need some assistance.

There's an amazing discrepancy in terminology regarding cuts of meat that are common in the US, but hard to understand here. Some things, no problem... a TBone is a TBone, but a Brisket in the US is not the same as a brisket here. In the US, it's something that needs cooking for 12 hours.

In Australia, it's flank or some belly smooth muscle cuts that come in a roll that makes Chinese beef soup that tastes great with Chu Hou Paste and noodles. :icon_smil

What I need is Pictures, Diagrams... or probably a US Butcher to post stuff here so that I can take this information to a butcher here... or better yet do it myself, to make the cuts I need.

Beef and Pork are the main Issue. Chikin's Ducks, Pidgins, Lambs are OK.

Kangaroos, I've got them sorted out already...and they are delicious :icon_cool.

Help me out and Thanks for reading.

Cheers!

Bill

I'm no butcher, but this should be at least a decent start for ya!

Bovine%20Cuts.jpg

I just gotta say, looking at that pork chart, is there any beast more perfectly designed for eating than a pig?

No wonder there's confusion about brisket, half of those charts for beef show the brisket coming from the front of the shoulder and the other half show it coming from the other side of the shoulder.

Here is a video to show your butcher to show him exactly what you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-6UAV8OVD4

It's from a 6 part series that shows you just about everything you would want to know about different cuts of beef and where on the animal they come from.

Jim

Hi Jim, I'd say that nails it. Brisket here is not brisket there. I'd say brisket cuts here end up as a mince meat. Our brisket comes off the other end. Not the same thing at all. I'll be watching all those videos now. Thanks!

Bill

From what part of the cow is the New York Strip cut? I didn't see it on any of the charts.

Back