MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
Nate4e
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default What to smoke?¿?¿?

So my new-used smoker has cooked some awesome fatties and the best ribs ever. Trying to think of something to do next. Looking for something pretty easy as I'm still learning how this thing runs. I have a turkey in the freezer but I'm not sure if I'm ready to tend a fire for 6+ hours. I was thinking maybe a butt, anyone have any other suggestions??? ...the smoker is a vertical offset.
Nate4e is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you want some relatively quick, go for a rib roast. Smoke with your choice of wood at 325F until internal temp reaches 125F. Then rest for about 20-30 minutes.

You are looking at about 3 hours max and it's delicous.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

You don't want to do a turkey because you're not ready to tend a fire for 6+ hours, but you're thinking about a butt that will take twice as long at 225?

I guess you could do a high heat butt and cook it at 325 - 350, but that's still probably 5 hours.

Depending on how big the turkey is it shouldn't take 6 hours. I cook mine at 325 and a 14 lb. bird is done in 3 - 4 hours.

How about some chicken? You could do a spatchcocked chicken in a couple of hours.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
Nate4e
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

...was thinking of finishing the butt in the oven. On the other hand, could do the same with the turkey.
Nate4e is offline   Reply With Quote