MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

Default Ripped off by local BGE dealer??? Opinions needed

So award for girlfriend of the year goes to my own. A L BGE for my 30th bday, surprised the hell out of me! So she gave me the receipt so I could register it.

Large Egg, nest, flimsy side shelves, not the nice teak or plastic ones, ash tool, grill gripper, non BGE branded electric lighter, BGE outdoor cover, and a bag of BGE charcoal. all said and done, out the door for $1200 which she paid cash and paid tax on top of that price.

AM i out of line for thinking she got ripped off? I need some suggestions, possible egg dealers? eric? eggy? where are you. She surprised me, so I had no influence on the purchase or where to get it from. I know a local dealer who has a VERY similar bundle for $850.

I would rather avoid getting my girl fired up over the fact she got taken for a ride, but don't want the dealer getting away with it.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Is it even possible to return it and look around for a better deal? I would think there's no way your gonna get anything substantial back from the guy. She obviously didn't mind spending the money on you, so I might just think about leaving it alone and not risk offending her by criticizing the price she paid. I don't know her though, maybe she would appreciate it more if you got her some dough back.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Well, I got all that plus a plate setter for less a grand, tax included about 3 years ago. I did get the nest with the flimsy teak side tables with it. So, I would say she probably paid list price +.

I would go back to the guy and have a discussion but I wouldn't say a word to the GF.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

You have all the gear, plus the reciept. I would take it all back to the dealer for a full refund and take your business somewhere else. Get the $400 cheaper price, take the $400 you saved and buy a bunch of meat and rubs. Throw a party in honor of "Your GF of the Year". Win-Win and girlfriend never knows.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
BluegrassSmoke
On the road to being a farker

Ummmm, treading in thin ice...them sweeties can be a fickle bunch...think you doing right and Bam! Nope wrong again...trust me, married for 41 years to the same beautiful woman and I ain't go her figured out yet!

But me? I'd take it back, get a refund and buy the better deal, explane to the misses that you love her and love the BGE but you also don't like her getting ripped off. So you got some money back for her...( don't tel, ya returned it, just say money back)....then don't buy a single piece of BBQ meat...buy a dozen roses and take her out on the town for a nice dinner....
BluegrassSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

...... Tell her you know a way to keep the same present AND save her money....

Return it for the cash and get the same damn thing somewhere else for less... then to sweeten the pot take HER out to a nice dinner with some of the savings (give her the rest of course) as a "thank you"

Problem Solved
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #7
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
I would go back to the guy and have a discussion but I wouldn't say a word to the GF.
Marty is wise. Graciously accept her generosity and enthusiasm

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

+1 listen to Marty and RevZiLLa not worth the risk of upsetting the GF and returning it for a better deal could make her think all the effort she spent searching for a dealer find all the parts ect to make you happy... you don't appreciate(the effort)

pwa
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 04:18 AM   #9
posey's_pork_pit
is one Smokin' Farker

Here's my 2¢ from a woman's perspective ~ price the exact same setup at another dealer. If your suspicions are true and you find the exact same setup significantly lower, get it in writing. Now, without the girlfriend knowing, load up your birthday gifts and head out to the original dealer. Get the full refund and then show them the reason why for the return. Even if they match the other dealer, I still wouldn't do business with them.

Next stop, the other dealer. Load up and head on home. Plan a really nice evening just for her and then explain what you did and hand her the savings.
Smokey Joe Silver w/wooden handle a.k.a. Mini Me, Weber Smokey Joe Platinum date code ER

Sipsey: Secret's in the sauce.
posey's_pork_pit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-08-2012, 06:00 AM   #10
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

She knew me well enough to buy the egg, I know her well enough that she doesn't like overpaying.

In my head i'd be happy knowing the guy did something to make up for the difference, throw in a plate setter and pizza stone, guru, more bge charcoal, something.

I cooked on it the day I got it and almost everyday since, returning it is out of the question.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:33 AM   #11
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

Now i'm scrutinizing everything. The serial # in the lid does not match the base...is this normal?

Ive thought about this a lot over the past week, best solution I can come up with is call my local egg dealers and get prices. Call back the person mine was purchased from, ask for the same setup and the price.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:44 AM   #12
rksylves
Full Fledged Farker

You hit my idea right at the very end of your last post. I would go in to the suspect dealer, price out the exact same setup, and see what he comes up with. If it's very different than the deal that GF got then I would confront him right then and there. If he stonewalls then I would mention going to the local Better Business Bureau and filing a complaint.

I would also take a look at his floor model(s) and see if the serial numbers match up or possibly if one of those serial numbers matches one of yours! If it did then I would REALLY get upset.

Your call on telling the GF. Could go either way. She might appreciate your going for the savings but then she might feel hurt that you had to out-do her & make her present better and not appreciate the present as-is. I've gotten presents in the past that I know for a fact were overcharged but let it go and kept my mouth shut.

Russ

Old 03-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #13
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

martyleach is a very wise man, I would go back to the original dealer and beat hell out of him or maybe have a frank discussion about you telling three, who tell three who tell three until the whole village knows and so on and you receiving a discount and then present said cash return to said GF in the form of jewelry
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #14
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

I'm going to probably upset a few people, but the fact of the matter is he can charge any price that he wants. You can pay it or walk away. Having been in retail several times in my life, you would be surprised at how often someone will pay list price for an item. Don't fault the dealer, he is in business to earn a profit, and when you have the opportunity to make a profit you take it. Unless he misrepresented himself or the product he is well within his rights. Don't let buyers remorse get the better of you, what happens when while returning the egg humpty dumpty has a great fall? Just my take.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #15
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

My opinion.....be honest!

If she got taken, deal with that privately with the dealer. If you've used it and can't return it you may be up chit creek, but if he's a reputable dealer it shouldn't matter. Call em out on it. I'd find the better deal, get it in writing and take that to the place she bought it.

If your GF is gonna get pissed because you're trying to be honest with her and look out for her money and best interest, then you've got another problem. If your relationship works better when you're deceiving each other, you've got a much bigger problem in the future.

I'd handle it first, then bring the solution and results to her. If she's in it for the long haul then she'll appreciate the whole thing.

My $0.02

Either way.....congrats on the birthday gift!

Tags
bge, big green egg