Adam Perry Lang's theory on wrapping

If you pack some huge smoker full of 20-30 briskets, it's going to produce a hell of a lot of humidity inside the chamber. But if you're just doing a single brisky or shoulder, you aren't going to get nearly the amount of total moisture coming out of the meat. His theory is that you are just recreating the environment of a fully packed smoker by foiling.

a huge smoker is going to have to burn more fuel and run more dry heat over the meat to maintain the same smoking temps over a smaller cooker.

I think you both touch on an explanation of the theory. Saiko speaks of air density inside the cooker created by moisture which makes the air heavier. Ricks point of fuel burn to create the proper temperature creating dry heat and burning out moisture speaks to the drying factor. I run a large Spicewine and can now look back, based on this thread, and theorize why some meats turned out the way they did. As well as why some temperture problems occurred. This makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the post.

Hey! Leave Saiko alone!!! I'm trying to recruit him to cook high heat brisky for Team Uncle Bud!!!

We's ned ar sleep! :lol:
Oh I'm there brother!
Originally Posted by nmayeux
On another note, we will be cooking at the Pigs and Peaches contest. Why don't you stop by for a beer?

I always run my Large Spicewine with a full water pan and the meat always turns out moist.

SKIP-- What differances did you notice?

I always run my Large Spicewine with a full water pan and the meat always turns out moist.

SKIP-- What differances did you notice?

Full cooking racks and large cooks always seem to crush the cooking box temp. This in turn causes my guru to stoke the fire. Unfortunately either the dense moist air holds down the heat and never reaches the probe or the moisture causes the probe to read incorrectly. This forces the fan to work harder and harder which causes my firebox temp to scream out of control. By the time the cooking box recovers the firebox is so hgih i.e. 350-400 that the cooking box screams past the desired temp and right up and out. It has happen and now we take precautions but we still haven't found a way to actively raise the cooking box without spiking the firebox.

Adversely small cooks tend to maintain temp wonderfully yet extraordinary means are required to keep the meat as moist as we'd want.

Any input would be welcomed Guido.

I'd wager a cold beer that the relative humidity (i'm guessing 100%) inside the foil of a wraped brisket would be much higher than therelative humidity of a fully-loaded smoker. to recreate the humidty of multiple briskets (or butts as the case may be) i'd think you'd be much better-off with a water pan.

I'd wager a cold beer that the relative humidity (i'm guessing 100%) inside the foil of a wraped brisket would be much higher than therelative humidity of a fully-loaded smoker. to recreate the humidty of multiple briskets (or butts as the case may be) i'd think you'd be much better-off with a water pan.

Wow Richard that was the tamest post by you regarding the use of foil I've ever read...don't tell me you've succumb to the dark-side since I've been away!

crutch.jpg

Wow Richard that was the tamest post by you regarding the use of foil I've ever read...don't tell me you've succumb to the dark-side since I've been away!

I'm wanting to hear Popdaddy chime in here. At least I think I am. :biggrin:

We all know that there is only one use for foil...

centurion.jpg

Oh ok wait maybe 2 uses for foil...

0705silver_lg.jpg

And there is only one way to wrap your meat...

30832.jpg

The foil debate will never end. I am still waiting for the debate of whether Brisket is even BBQ

Last edited:
if you boil the brisket first and then add liquid smoke, of course it counts as BBQ

That seems reasonable at first. However, the vapor barrier that surrounds any food cooking in a closed environment can not be duplicated by a water pan in that environment. Steam injection into bread oven not withstanding. Therefore a micro environment seems to be the next best thing, futhermore there is no denying that it works and works well.

I think a fuller cooker is definitely more humid, but more mass requires more fuel and also effects the air flow in the cooker and how efficiently/evenly the smoke/heat/air moves through the pit. I think....maybe.....

And probably the design of the pit has plenty to do with how it reacts to the quantity of product being cooked.....

I never cooked with a Guru so I don't know how it gets affected by the moisture. To be honest, I haven't had a problem with my Spicewine at all. Then again, I may not have tried to cook as much volume at one time. Wish I could help, but just don't know what to say.

Full cooking racks and large cooks always seem to crush the cooking box temp. This in turn causes my guru to stoke the fire. Unfortunately either the dense moist air holds down the heat and never reaches the probe or the moisture causes the probe to read incorrectly. This forces the fan to work harder and harder which causes my firebox temp to scream out of control. By the time the cooking box recovers the firebox is so hgih i.e. 350-400 that the cooking box screams past the desired temp and right up and out. It has happen and now we take precautions but we still haven't found a way to actively raise the cooking box without spiking the firebox.

Adversely small cooks tend to maintain temp wonderfully yet extraordinary means are required to keep the meat as moist as we'd want.

Any input would be welcomed Guido.

That seems reasonable at first. However, the vapor barrier that surrounds any food cooking in a closed environment can not be duplicated by a water pan in that environment. Steam injection into bread oven not withstanding. Therefore a micro environment seems to be the next best thing, futhermore there is no denying that it works and works well.

wouldn't a full water pan more accurately replicate the humidity produced by a fuller pit?
isn't that the purpose of the foil, to replicate the humidity of a full pit?

The best Pulled pork that I have made was when I was smoking it for a block party (a week early) and squeezed 3 butts into the Fake Bge copy. So I think this makes sense.

I guess ill just have to smoke some extras for left overs!!

He can still cook, but we'll have a keg of homebrew to make sure he gets it right! :twisted:
Hey! Leave Saiko alone!!! I'm trying to recruit him to cook high heat brisky for Team Uncle Bud!!!

We's ned ar sleep! :lol:

Originally Posted by nmayeux
On another note, we will be cooking at the Pigs and Peaches contest. Why don't you stop by for a beer?

wouldn't a full water pan more accurately replicate the humidity produced by a fuller pit?
isn't that the purpose of the foil, to replicate the humidity of a full pit?

I don't think so, as food cooks a thin layer of air and moister surrounds the food itself. It takes time for this layer to disapate. A full pit would increase that time. I can't see how air borne water vapor in a smoker can replicate that. This is why convection ovens are used in commercial applications. The forced air blows that vapor air barier away from the surface of the food to speed up cooking times and at lower temperatures and also providing very even temps through out the oven. I have never heard any science of how artifically introduced water vapor really behaves in the smoker. All I've ever heard this subject is conjecture and how people imagine it works.

Back