• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cold smoking bacon with my simple cold smoker

chriscw81

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So I cured my first bacon and now its time to cold smoke it. I'm using expanded metal thats bent so I could lay out some hickory pellets and light one end with a torch. Its been smoking since 9am. Not sure how long I will be smoking it so comments are welcome.

Pics:

me9y4amy.jpg
8a2a9uqe.jpg
za2u4u7e.jpg
eny9asy9.jpg
du8yda6u.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Chris I like your set up. :thumb:

Here it is after about 6 or 7 hours of cold smoke.
a7a3uba7.jpg

Its in the freezer chilling before I slice it. I used hickory pellets this time. Next time I will use cherry or apple with the chips, coffee can, and solder pen method. I bet the apple or cherry wood will be even better.

The first time I did bacon on my WSM I used a 1 pound coffee can with a few partially lit briqs and a few chips of wood every few hours. It took 7 in total.

The first time I did bacon on my WSM I used a 1 pound coffee can with a few partially lit briqs and a few chips of wood every few hours. It took 7 in total.

That method sounds like it would work well in a wsm. I may try it after my UDS is built. I think that method may be a little hot in a kamado style pit, the insulation holds the heat too well. Who knows though? It may work well in a kamado.

That method sounds like it would work well in a wsm. I may try it after my UDS is built. I think that method may be a little hot in a kamado style pit, the insulation holds the heat too well. Who knows though? It may work well in a kamado.

I was able to keep it under 100 degrees for 7 hours in the WSM this way. Thick cut!
thanksgiving044.jpg

Well, here it is. I sliced it all up in shorter slices. I cooked some up and tried it....I may never buy grocery store bacon again!! This stuff is amazing. It doesn't curl up like the water cured stuff from the store either. It tastes great, though next time, I will add some cayenne pepper too. I was worried it would be a little too salty but actually ended up less salty than normal bacon, which I like. Thanks for looking :D
ujy6yby8.jpg

epu5e4ad.jpg

ytesutav.jpg

I've got a piece of expanded metal laying around, I'm going to shape it like yours and try some bacon and cheese. We love smoked Gouda.

I've got a piece of expanded metal laying around, I'm going to shape it like yours and try some bacon and cheese. We love smoked Gouda.

I've yet to smoke it myself but smoked gouda is definitely my favorite :thumbup:

Edit: I failed to mention it here but you'll need to wrap the expanded metal in foil and punch lots of small holes in it. Otherwise the pellets fall through

Beautiful job!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Back