• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Gloves

I use a pair of black rubber gardening gloves from Lowes.
They are just thick enough to insulate when pulling meat off the cooker. They are nicely textured for good grip.
But not thick enough for shredding meats.

Not sure who makes them but I recently picked up a set of short cotton gloves from home depot that are completely dipped in a red rubber type material. The weren't completely heat resistant but were great for pulling a hot out the the box pork butt. The were thin enough to feel the meat.

THESE are my meat gloves of choice.

Not too thick, not to thin......JUUUUUUUST right!

My problem with those is my hands are bigger than "one size fits all" and once my hands get sweaty they are hard to pull on and off.

My problem with those is my hands are bigger than "one size fits all" and once my hands get sweaty they are hard to pull on and off.

Well, you know what they say about big hands........:shock:

I hear ya though. The sweat factor matters for sure.
I've had 3 or 4 pair of those now. They all fit me perfect.
If my hands aren't too wet or sweaty, I can usually just shake em off or pinch a finger and they slide right off. Love those gloves.

+1 on the gloves here!!!

As to the shredding meat, they also have bear claws that do an awesome job of shredding meat. I wouldn't personally ever do this (for 1000 reasons) because IMHO it ruins the meat that you so diligently cooked, but some love shredded pork or shredded beef.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ZGURK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01"]Amazon.com: Steven Raichlen Best of Barbecue Insulated Food Gloves, Pair: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Picked these up recently. I have very large hands. They fit these gloves, and the fabric lining helps with removing. They would likely accommodate a slightly larger hand.

They are slick, but that seems to be a common trait among these glove types

http://texasbbqrub.com/bbqgloves.htm

This is where I got mine. Very happy with them.

My wife ordered me the same ones for Father's Day last year and they are awesome! They're probably the exact same glove that the other site is selling as well. Just thick enough to be able to pull meat with good texture for grip. Love 'em.

To save a little on shipping (distribute it among other items), while you're in this neighborhood I HIGHLY recommend getting some of their rubs! SM is SIMPLY AWESOME!!!! Yeah, get the bear claws if you must. Some swear by them.... <sigh>

The same gloves that are being sold at specialty places as BBQ gloves for $8 and up:

Black Knight 7714-R's $5 / pair
at Grainger.
Condor rough coat XL lined PVC gloves are $4.25 / pair at Grainger.

I have been using a premium nitril coated knit glove.

It is somewhat like the one Vinny mentioned, except only the fingers and palms are dipped, and they are dipped in Nitrile. The glove itself is a very thin mesh. This very thin glove, coupled with the very flexible nitrile coating leads to a really flexible glove that can still accomodate very hot meat. (I can move a grate with them if I am quick, but would not really recommend this use initially)

It is far more flexible than both the fully dipped cotton gloves, and the "Raichlen Style" gloves which are very cumbersome to me.

I get mine for 3-4 bucks at the hardware store, and they last a few uses as food movers, then get moved over to a few uses of pit cleaners, then tossed.

http://www.texasbbqrub.com/bbqgloves.htm

Bought these recently and they are FANSTATIC! Great for taking beer can chickens off the WSM, ribs, and my new best friend for taking corn husks off piping hot corn cobs!

EASY clean up, wish I would have bought them sooner! Great texture too for pulling pork, etc.

Back