• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Brethren "Shiitake Happens! Are We Having FUNgus Yet?" Throwdown

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Our new category is...

[SIZE=+2]"$hitake Happens! Are We Having FUNgus Yet?"[/SIZE]
Mistaken_Identity_Mushroom_Funny_cartoon.bmp

Image from berro.com!

...as chosen by Redhot, the winner of the Farking Mess Throwdown!

In the event you can't figure out what this one is about, here is how Redhot described it...

Redhot said:
Next category - ****take Happens! Are We Having FUNgus Yet?
Any dish featuring mushrooms or any kind of edible fungus. :becky:

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 4/22 through Sunday 5/1.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on Sunday night 5/1.

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules.

The voting will begin Monday 5/2 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Friday 5/6. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the Burger Throwdown until Sunday night 4/24 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Mustard Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Maybe you should use a dollar sign for the 's'? I thought by using 2 T's (which is misspelled) the site wouldn't blank half the word out.:confused:

Never mess with the word nanny! :becky:

BTW, I had fungus once. But it cleared up. :shock:

This should be interesting, not sure where to go with this one.

I'm sure Gore will come up with something new and different for this one! :becky:

Our new category is...

[SIZE=+2]"$hitake Happens! Are We Having FUNgus Yet?"[/SIZE]
Mistaken_Identity_Mushroom_Funny_cartoon.bmp

Image from berro.com!

...as chosen by Redhot, the winner of the Farking Mess Throwdown!

In the event you can't figure out what this one is about, here is how Redhot described it...

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 4/22 through Sunday 5/1.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on Sunday night 5/1.

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules.

The voting will begin Monday 5/2 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Friday 5/6. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the Burger Throwdown until Sunday night 4/24 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Mustard Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Totally not what I was expecting for an example picture on this one...was thinking more of some exotic, creamy shroom dish but I guess it'll raise some brows there Chris; and some creativity...would NEVER want your-hmmm, duty to keep these TD's going if..........well, let's just say I commend you, I wouldn't want to be responsible!!!! But my girlfriends at work got a kick out of it! So let's all get FUNGky!:shock::becky:

Totally not what I was expecting for an example picture on this one...was thinking more of some exotic, creamy shroom dish but I guess it'll raise some brows there Chris; and some creativity...would NEVER want your-hmmm, duty to keep these TD's going if..........well, let's just say I commend you, I wouldn't want to be responsible!!!! But my girlfriends at work got a kick out of it! So let's all get FUNGky!:shock::becky:
At first I was looking up some good looking wild shrooms, and some dishes...and of course smattered throughout all of those were "funny" shrooms...if you know what I mean. So the thought crossed my mind to search "funny mushroom" and I think that was the first result. Once I saw it...there was no going back to the other more serious pics.

Shrooms:-D!
To the pasture we go.

Last edited:
Indeed, no need for adult beverages, but... I'd tip a jar too:-D and fly:thumb:. Gotta really think on this TD, a lot of possibilities coming 'round.

Last edited:
Mushroom-Italian Sausage Fatty

I've never entered a throwdown before, and only had my WSM for a week now, but I might as well start throwing my hat in the ring for practice (and tasty dinners to boot) if nothing else!

We went to one of the local Italian markets in Kenosha, WI yesterday, mainly for cheese since they have an amazing selection, and I definitely had mushrooms on my mind, having seen this upcoming Throwdown. I've also been wanting to try smoking a fatty (yeah, yeah, yeah. . . as a jazz guitarist I've heard the jokes before:p.)

I picked up a lb of portabella 'shrooms, some of their in-house made Italian sausage meat from the deli, and a few other items to complement the two. Here is what resulted:

Baby 'Bellas, bulk sausage, aged local WI Pepato peppercorn cheese, homegrown Killarney red garlic.
DSC00103.jpg

Sun dried tomatoes, oil cured olives, sliced prosciutto.
DSC00104.jpg

Mmm. Mushrooms!
DSC00105.jpg

1 lb of 'shrooms added to the rolled meat.
DSC00106.jpg

A sprinkling of Oil-cured olives, aged peppercorn cheese, sundried tomatoes and garlic to round things out. (Having never rolled one of these before, I ended up losing about half these extra toppings in the process, but I think that worked out for the best, since the end balance of mushrooms and other ingredients worked well.)
DSC00109.jpg

Prosciutto blanket ready and waiting!
DSC00110.jpg

Rolled fatty. . .(I didn't get a shot pre-wrap due to the sticky nature of very fresh sausage)
DSC00111.jpg

Onto the smoker with 2 chunks of cherry wood.
DSC00112.jpg

45 minutes in.
DSC00113.jpg

After 1.5 hours, brushed the outside with rendered prosciutto fat for nice shine (and moisture/taste, of course!)
DSC00114.jpg

Cut after a 15-20 minute rest.
DSC00116.jpg

A few slices.
DSC00117.jpg

My submission, below: Mushroom-Italian Sausage Fatty w/ oil-cured olives, aged local Wisconsin artisan peppercorn cheese, sun dried tomatoes, homegrown garlic, wrapped in prosciutto, and cherry wood smoked.
DSC00118.jpg

My kitchen smells amazing. The mushrooms and cheese go really well together! I might have to start making these a couple times a week. It might not look super mushroom intensive in the last few photos, but everything I chose was based around complementing the mushrooms, which I used with a fairly heavy hand compared to the other ingredients.

Back