MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #16
seakuv
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser42 View Post
I wonder if it would be possible to build one of concrete blocks? I've seen smokers made from them. Not that I need to, I've got a Big Green Egg that can do the job.
Concrete won't hold up to the high temperatures. Should make a great base, though. Building one from scratch could be a fun project.

Last edited by seakuv; 10-15-2018 at 11:34 AM..
seakuv is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-15-2018, 11:54 AM   #17
highergr0und
Full Fledged Farker

Depends on definition of modestly priced. I've been doing a lot of research and you can get the Uuni 3 + gas conversion for around $400, $425 for a bundle that includes the gas converter, a cover and skillet as well. I've also read a lot that managing the pellet hopper on that model is annoying, hence the push for gas.

If you go to $600, the Roccbox and Uuni Pro are tempting. Roccbox comes with wood and gas options, the Uuni pro is charcoal/wood fired and you can buy pellet or gas conversion for extra, so it's really about $700 if you want gas.

It's a tough decision. I'm not sure what will put me over the edge here. Best I can tell there are no other worthy competitors until you get up near $1k

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-15-2018, 12:05 PM   #18
Kmm
On the road to being a farker

On the left hand, I don't really need another grill, smoker, griddle or pizza machine, (14+ last count). But.....on the right hand, I really enjoy food cooked in wood fired ovens. Given my right hand dominance, I have been contemplating pulling the trigger on a Members Mark pizza oven all summer. However, when I last looked a few short weeks ago, the only color option available was orange.....something far too flamboyant for my current collection of cold stainless steel and basic black! I decided to wait until new stocks of black arrived.
Fast forward to this weekend when after weeks of sensitive lectures from my pizza loving bride, she decided I could accept a warm orange representative in our exclusive cold stainless and black outdoor cooking collection. OK, "permission" secured and sensitivity training completed, I pounced into action, pullng up the interweb, fully prepared to order and pay for a shiny new Members Mark wood fired oven.
Imagine my dismay when I did a search for "wood fired oven" and nothing came up.... Undeterred by such a minor setback, I did some form surfing and bingo, found a link to the item ...only to discover the dreaded "/" in all color options (including orange)!
Sold out..not available?
How can this be? Don't Mr. Walton's heirs know I am sitting here with wood fired pizza drool already dripping down my chin ready to order their marvelous machine?
Undeterred I pulled up the suppliers web site (NXR Dro Corp.) only to discover while they have sold direct to the public in the past, there is currently no pricing listed and the shopping cart capability seems to be disabled.
Crap, now here it is Monday, and I am back to square UNO....hording a modest collection of cold stainless and black fire breathing machines, but still no capacity to cook in a wood fired oven with orange accents
Kmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #19
northof8

I do mine in my oven with a stone but plan to make a wood fired one some day. Like others have said, I would test it in the oven first and see how you like it, then decide which direction to go from there.

If you are really serious, then go ahead and check out this site, but don't blame me for lost time and money spent like this site seems to do to you.

https://www.pizzamaking.com

Old 10-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #20
ColoradoSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

I have a buddy that owns a Roccbox and he loves it (uses it w/ gas). It's on my xmas list.

He did mention that it takes 35 min to heat up to 900F but once it's at temp it can cook pizzas fast (< 2 min).

Old 10-15-2018, 12:59 PM   #21
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmountz94 View Post
Can't help you with the oven. But i will say mentally prepare yourself that your first couple pizzas aren't going to be nice and round. Mine still look like the shape of PA. I first got mad first couple now i am use to it.
As they say, "the proof is in the eating"!

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2018, 01:02 PM   #22
Norm
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Private

Just to get your feet wet Paul I'll echo getting a cooking steel for your oven. Look up the specs on one and I'll bet you have or can get the materials to fab one. Unless you want to do Neapolitan style an oven works just fine for pies. Whichever way you go hit me up for some sauce, dough and cheese recommendations.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #23
Lomey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I've been doing a lot of research on pizza ovens and I'm leaning towards the Roccbox. I also like the Uuni Pro. I like that the Roccbox comes with gas and wood burners and is a little easier to travel with if I want to take it to my parents house when I visit. Look on William Sonoma's website. They send me 20-25% off with free shipping coupons all the time.
Lomey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2018, 02:16 PM   #24
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

You may find the article linked off this message useful. The site I got it from is http://pizzamaking.com - the mother of all internet pizza making sites.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/in...0910#msg500910

The article on wood-fired ovens is at the bottom of the page linked from the message.

And their helpers.

Last edited by EdF; 10-15-2018 at 02:22 PM..
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #25
Simply Smoked

Name/Nickname : Moose

Blackstone, Uuni, Roccbox and Pizza Party are all great ovens for their price range, I've owned all but the Roccbox. Cooked on the RB a couple of times and it does a great job. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:22 PM   #26
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

I have a Uuni 3 and it works very well. I also bought the gas attachment but have not used it yet. I hear it works very well. So far I've not had any issues using the pellets so I will keep using them for now.

I also have the Kettle Pizza attachment for the Weber Kettle and have had mixed results with it. I prefer the Uuni.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:26 PM   #27
Taylormade
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
I have the Blackstone pizza oven and really like it. My only complaint is no wood smoke flavor. I've been using foil pellet pouches to try to obtain the flavor I want.
That's my issue as well. Love the process, it makes good pizza, but we like the wood taste the kamado imparts. Where are you putting the foil pouch and how's it working for you?

Old 10-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #28
gtsum
Babbling Farker

For pies in the home oven, I second the use of a baking steel and also Ken forkish’s book, “elements of pizza”. It’s spot on for home ovens (any cooker that tops out at 550-600 degrees). Pizzamaking dot com is your resource for all things pizza....pizza making is a rabbit hole with no end:)

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2018, 09:37 PM   #29
LTG
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Billy Bob

Still beyond happy with my chargriller akorn. Stone diffuser from chargriller, pizza stone from amazon, and 2 fire bricks broken in half(2 half bricks stacked on top of each other per side of stone to elevate the stone). Elevated the stone gives perfect doneness for the crust as well as the top of the pie including raw ingredients like sausage. Plus you end up with a solid grill for steaks, burgers, chops, etc. $400 total or so for the complete set up.

I use zippylips dough recipe off of here.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:44 AM   #30
Badjak
is one Smokin' Farker

I only have experience with the uuni 3 and I like it.
I used it with pellets when I bought it second hand in the Netherlands and that works well.
The pellets I can get here are a bit different and produce a lot of soot, so I have attached the gas burner and that works good as well (almost too simple)
Needless to say, I have been eating lots of pizza, flammkuchen and flatbreads

Good luck with your decission making process!