Weber smokey mountian lid options

BriGreentea

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I got an annoying issue with my 18" WSM getting water inside the ash pan due to I had a cover it came with and within a short amount of time the cover which was already way too tight to begin with, got to the point it shrank from the heat so didn't fit anymore and tossed it.

I don't have an overhead patio and due to the design of the lid it fits on top of the lip instead of over the lip. WHY Weber did this I have no idea! I used to have a UDS with a bunghole and could smoke for hours and hours in a thunderstorm with little worries!

Is there a modified lid that can possibly fit inside the lip and go over it so rain doesn't get down in the bottom? My choices if not are to get another cover when not in use or drill a small hole on the bottom to drain any water and have a pan under.

I like to reuse the charcoal that's left if possible but when it's all mush it's unusable and messy.

55 gallon trash sack and a bungee, while unsightly... will make it waterproof.

Lid design keeps the grease from condensing in the lid and running down the sides. WSM users can be a fastidious lot- this feature is probably for the best.

Use a Trashbag if the coals are cool. Get a few "real" covers from Walmart if they go on sale. I bought 4 or 5 Weber brand for 2.50 each last year on close out. They look better but are no better than a nice Hefty Bag (IMO).

If you are using it in the rain or under threat of rain- I would suggest a "Mary Poppins" modification.

I've been using my 18 WSM cover for 6 years. You may have got a bad one. Call Weber tech support!

Just flip the midsection over when not in use, problem solved.
:grin:
Wow, you are brilliant! I tried this when I got home and works perfectly!

Tried cooking on it upside down? Guess the downside would be you lose the bottom grate, have to put the top grate on top of the bowl and is deeper down and more radiant heat.

:grin:
Wow, you are brilliant! I tried this when I got home and works perfectly!

Tried cooking on it upside down? Guess the downside would be you lose the bottom grate, have to put the top grate on top of the bowl and is deeper down and more radiant heat.

Not intended to be cooked on upside down, but it is known to flip it for storage. You can check out TVWBB for more specific WSM things.

Get another cover from Wally mart for $10, flip the thing or make a uds and flip it upside down over the WSM.

Back