MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
grindstaff3
On the road to being a farker

Default Is anyone going to Memphis in May 2009?

My wife and I are going to Memphis in May this year. Just wondering if anyone from the Brethren is going to be there competing. We would love to stop by thursday or friday night. We will be doing our first comp this summer, so this will be a huge eye opener to the world of competition bbq, never been to one. So anyway, anyone going? hope to see you there
grindstaff3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstaff3 View Post
...We will be doing our first comp this summer, so this will be a huge eye opener to the world of competition bbq, never been to one...
Memphis in May is not like any other competiton. It can open your eyes to Memphis in May, but don't expect it to "open your eyes to the world of competiton BBQ". It is more of a private party event where you need to know people to get invited into a fenced off cook site. Other competitions are very different and offer better opportunities to visit with teams. Try to find a KCBS contest near you and visit it after you go to Memphis. You will see quite a difference. The Memphis in May organization no longer sanctions any contests; they only put on the one in Memphis in May. They are trying to make it a more "corporate" party type event and it appears they are most interested in the $$$$. Last year there were a number of problems with judging with long delays in blind entries being judged, box labels messed up, and rib finals being judged over an hour late. Go to Memphis and have fun, but don't expect any other barbecue competitons to be like Memphis.
22" Weber
Weber Summit SS natural gas
QN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
grindstaff3

Oh wow, thanks for the info. I guess we have always heard the hype and wanted to see what it was all about. So it's more of a festival than a bbq contest? Is there anyway to get into any private parties without knowing anyone right now that is going to be there? Is there anyone from the Brethren that would like to have a couple extra friendlies around?:) We will bring anything that is needed or wanted Are the beer and bbq prices expensive?

Old 03-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
Double D's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I went down to Memphis In May in 2005. I was just getting into BBQ back then. Still hadn't competed yet, that would come later that year. I'd invested a lot of money in books in the few DVD's that were out there.

One of the DVD's I purchased, I found particulary helpful, BBQ SECRETS: The Master Guide to Extraordinary Barbecue Cookin' by Potter Productions

http://www.potter-productions.com/VS...e_id=DVD102482

I found that the segment by Terry Black of Super Smokers BBQ out of St. Louis very helpful with my ribs.

Anyway I didn't know any of the competitiors there but we showed up on Saturday when they were turning things in. I walked over to the Super Smokers area and waited until after the Judges had stopped by and Terry made his pitch to the judges serving them succulent pulled pork on fine china, with a sorbet to in the words of Terry Black "Cleanse your palet of the BBQ you just ate". After the on site judging I just called over to Terry and introduced myself, was honest with Terry, told him I didn't know that much about BBQ but told Terry that I had purchased the DVD and that his rib technique had helped my rib product considerably and that I would be compeating in my first contest that summer. Well, I was very surprised when Terry invited my wife and myself inside their area, gave me a tour of the pit and allowed us to even sample the pork that he had just served to the judges. I thanked him very much, tried not to wear out my welcome and was surprised at the end of the day when I had camped out for a front row spot at the stage at the awards ceremony when Terry even spotted me in the crowd and gave me a wave from the stage. Its little things like that, that you never forget and just keeps me thinking about how special BBQ people are and to try and pay the favor forward any chance we can get.

Sorry for the long winded response but I'd say just go up to some of your favorite teams, pick a good time when you're not interfering with their turns ins or presentations and you might be surprised at what happens.

I've also heard that they also have some sort of a people choice day and the teams are more accessible on that day, unfortunately we missed it. And I've also heard that if you contact the people at the festival, tell them you're from out of town and your home state, that they try to hook you up with a team from your state. Now that was all before MIM reorganized so I don't know if these rules or favors still apply.

Good luck, its a special event, and have a great time!
4. Primo Oval
5. Stumps GF 223
6. FEC 100
7. Backwoods Smoker - Fatboy
8. Traeger Texas Grill (BBQ 075)
Double D's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Not to discourage your trip to Memphis, but you could probably learn more that would help you out by attending a couple of KCBS contests.

Here is a link to some that are in your hometown and should be easy to get to for you. Just scroll down the list until you get to the 2009 events.

http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?str=sp...d%2Fyy&x=0&y=0

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #6
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

I agree. If you don't really know anyone or have your own team. You're just a spectator watching what goes on. I did it in 07' and volunteered for the allow folks to come by my site and show what it is we do. That was fun. I believe it was called the cookers caravan. if you can get in that you can kida get a behind the scenes look. As for beer and BBQ you will pay vendor pricing.
[URL="http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com"]www.extremebbqtrailers.com[/URL]
getyourrubonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
SlugBug
Got Wood.

Two years ago we joined a team for Memphis in May(knew a guy through work). It was about $300 to do it and that covered food, drinks and a place to hang out for 3 days. Most teams spend $10,000 to $15,000 to set up and compete. It has quite a carnival atmosphere. If you can hook up with a team, it is really cool to go. If we were not connected, we would have had a fairly lame time. It is very, very different than a KCBS contest.

If you are interested in KCBS style contests, the American Royal might be a better choice. It is easier to find a number of teams to visit and probably get an invite to the parties on the "dark side" for Friday night.

By the way, I am a small time competitor and just cook KCBS contests.
SlugBug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
Jeremiah
is one Smokin' Farker

Heading down there this year with some friends. We're staying in a nearby hotel. We will probably spend most of our time exploring Memphis, but definitely will check out the comp.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #9
ammoore

MIM is what got me into judging in the first place. My wife and I took a road trip down there back in '03 thinking we were going to eat some good BBQ. To our surprise, we didn't get to eat anything other than what the vendors were selling. As was said above, if you don't know someone, you will have a lame time at the BBQ festival. With that being said, it was a blessing in disguise. I was determined to eat this competition bbq and took the Memphis judging class the next spring. Judged Memphis contests for a few years, then took the KCBS judging class. After that we started cooking in KCBS events. So you never know where the road may lead you. I'm glad I went, it was cool to see but a long trip to end up eating the vendor bbq.

BTW, if you do go and have to eat some bbq since you will be surrounded.....I recommend Corkys on Poplar. Just remember it is a resteraunt.
ammoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

I feel the need to speak ... the first time we went to MIM it was only me and G on a spur-of-the-moment vacation wknd... we had no idea what we were walking into... and then we walked right into friends of ours from Massachusetts... unbelievable! Now it is on our list of things to do every May.

MIM is way different from any other competition that I have seen or competed in.
The 'big pigs', which are the teams that cook three categories, do have 2 or 3 story high-fenced-off-security guarded-big-a** parties. Unless you know them, chances are you are not getting in. These are mostly corporate parties, but you could always ask. We hung around outside a couple of sites just to get a glimpse of people like Myron Mixon, Chris Lilly, etc. If they have time, and the inclination, they just may come out and say hi, ya never know.
BUT... there are always the 'little pigs'... also known as the Patio Porkers. These are the teams that only cook ribs. They don't have guards but they are always having a helluva good time, and I know of at least one Brethren team that will be there... The Bastey Boys...with a bunch of lunchmeat thrown in with them. We'd love to chat so
please be sure to stop by!

BTW - Corky's was good, but I highly recommend Gus's Fried Chicken!!
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchlady View Post
I feel the need to speak ... the first time we went to MIM it was only me and G on a spur-of-the-moment vacation wknd... we had no idea what we were walking into... and then we walked right into friends of ours from Massachusetts... unbelievable! Now it is on our list of things to do every May.

MIM is way different from any other competition that I have seen or competed in.
The 'big pigs', which are the teams that cook three categories, do have 2 or 3 story high-fenced-off-security guarded-big-a** parties. Unless you know them, chances are you are not getting in. These are mostly corporate parties, but you could always ask. We hung around outside a couple of sites just to get a glimpse of people like Myron Mixon, Chris Lilly, etc. If they have time, and the inclination, they just may come out and say hi, ya never know.
BUT... there are always the 'little pigs'... also known as the Patio Porkers. These are the teams that only cook ribs. They don't have guards but they are always having a helluva good time, and I know of at least one Brethren team that will be there... The Bastey Boys...with a bunch of lunchmeat thrown in with them. We'd love to chat so
please be sure to stop by!

BTW - Corky's was good, but I highly recommend Gus's Fried Chicken!!
Dang straight. The Bastey Boys and Lunch Meat Crowd know how to get tore up! I missed it last year for the first time in many years and it looks like this year is a bust too due to my sister's wedding but I highly recommend it. I learned a ton of competition tricks just walking, talking and lending a hand over the years.

And I love Gus's!
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
grindstaff3

Hey thanks for all the info. We are just going to head down to have a good time. Is there a good way to get in touch with either The Basety Boys or Lunch Meat Crowd to see if we could hook up at MIM? I would love to just see what comp bbq is all about and how things work and to have a good ol' party.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #13
Balls Casten
is One Chatty Farker

Memphis is a great place to visit .. Beale Street, Graceland .. etc .. etc.. Go have fun. Saying Memphis in May is not worth attending is like saying the Royal is not any fun.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:34 AM   #14
Nitrofly
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
Dang straight. The Bastey Boys and Lunch Meat Crowd know how to get tore up! I missed it last year for the first time in many years and it looks like this year is a bust too due to my sister's wedding but I highly recommend it. I learned a ton of competition tricks just walking, talking and lending a hand over the years.

And I love Gus's!

We get Tore down.. Real hard..
I love MIM..
Stop by and say hello...
I am always honored to be a Bastey Boy at MIM
BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!
2 WSM more of a good thing
Brinkman offset
Backwoods competitor
Weber Performer
22' weber kettle w/rottiserie
17" table top weber kettle & weber smokey joe.
Nitrofly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 08:37 AM   #15
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

I'd really like to cook that contest, but would need help with the dog and pony show part. Oh, and the money part i'd need help in too. I'd love to put my ribs in that M.I.M. contest.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote