New UDS added to my (offset) Grill

stanimals2

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well since my surgery I cant do anything else, but I can do some light stuff so I added on a UDS to my (offset smoker grill) that I thought was a UDS and you guys set me straight on that real quick. Heres where the story begins, well it actually started about 4 DOS EQUIS ago but anyway

I added this
NewSmoker001.jpg

I cut it to make it easier to add coals
NewSmoker003.jpg

I added this coal basket
NewSmoker004.jpg

NewSmoker005.jpg

Heres the air intake
NewSmoker006.jpg

One coat of paint, tomorrow I will add the block O GO BUCKS !!
NewSmoker011.jpg

NewSmoker012.jpg

And here is the maiden voyage, a pork but that used a homemade rub on, I shreaded it put it on a kaiser roll with cole slawand I made a north carolina vinegar base sauce. Damn it was good! still eatin on it today !!!
NewSmoker010.jpg

I love being a hillbilly smoker LOL!!!

O-H

that coal basket in the one picture looks like it's floating.

go bucks! from a fellow Ohioan.

Cool! So how is the drum feeding heat into the cooker? I only see what appears to be one 3/4" pipe..??

Very interesting. What is the purpose of the second, smaller pipe then? Do you get decent heat transfer into the large drum? With that small of a pipe I have to question.

Colonel it is a trial and error project, I hoped the large pipe would heat the large drum but I am not sure that it will now. The original project was using the clamp on drum lid so the smaller pipe was to vent the UDS and I was just going to vent it ito the large drum to keep it out of my face when cooking, that much works well. Then I found the 14 Charbroil lid that fit perfect so I guess the vent pipe wasnt really needed. When I did the first cook with it saturday I found 2 problems the first was I need to add a T to the inlet air pipe to keep it from filling up with spent coals (like it did) . That made it hard to control temps but thats an easy fix however it may never fill up like that on a normal cook. I had filled the basket and lite the thing the night before to season it and it burned for 14 hours straight and when I got ready to use it the temp was still 170 so like a dummy I added more coals and stirred it up, probably what clogged the inlet looking back. Since I was having so much trouble with the temps I was trying differant things (not knowing the inlet was plugged) and I found out opening the the large pipe drops the temp in a hurry in the small drum so you would probably need a VERY hot fire and probably real sticks to ever get the big drum to temp. I will try that later and let you know. All in all right now if you use the UDS as a UDS and the grill as a grill or and of set the work flawlessly and I am very happy with them both for my first ever attemps. Definately learned things I would do differant next time on both when (if) they ever wear out. Off to lay out the block O

Thanks, Stan

Thanks for the information. I like the idea and creativity.

Back