hot and fast brisket help!

gjertsen

Found some matches.
Reaction score
First time trying a brisket hot(ter) and fast than I've done before (@ 225) in my Masterbuilt electric smokehouse. As the width of the smoker never can accomodate the whole packer, I have the flat divided from the point. The pretrimmed weight of the whole packer was ~12.5 lbs.

The max temp of the smoker is 275, but I started it this morning at 270. There's a probe in both pieces of meat. The flat alarmingly shot up to 203 degrees internal in under 3 hours. (!) The point is at 153 as I type.

I'm not sure if it's even done, or even salvagable. I don't plan on eating it for another 8 hours. I'm not home, so I haven't felt whether or not it is tender at all, but I directed my wife to wrap it in foil and stick it in a cooler for now.

BBQ Brethren 911.... what happened, and is this salvagable?

Flat is probably done. At 203 it may be either done perfectly and tender, or overcooked. Depends on the brisket, and the temp rise after it was pulled and wrapped (it may overcook while resting wrapped )
Point is definitely not done, not even to the stall yet. Should finish about the same temp.

Keep in mind brisket is easier to cook by feel, not by temp.
Temp is only relative, felling the brisket is how you tell when it's done. Should feel relaxed, floppy, and loose when jiggled and flopped up and down while wrapped. (think rib bend test)

Best of luck!

Get a sharp, pointy object such as a thermometer and probe the flat for tenderness. If it's ready to pull off the probe should slide into the meat with the ease of room temperature butter, the point will take a little longer because it has a lot of fat to render out but the process will be the same to determine doneness. ALWAYS go by probe tenderness and feel, not IT!:wink:

the lesson to be learned here is that briskets do not like to be left alone!

they need company while they are cooking.

when they are resting its safe to leave them alone, they are asleep at that point

My first brisket cook my temp probes read wrong and I thought by some barbecue miracle I was going to eat dinner on time. Ended up needing four more hours. Probe it again and if it doesn't feel like butter let it ride.

I'd let the flat ride until the point is done if the flat gets over cooked no big deal the real money is the point anyway. Over cooked flat makes for some good tacos:mrgreen:

I would check the probe. If it is not placed properly then it will give you a bad reading.

At hotter temps....sometimes I have found that mine won't probe tender until a higher IT...once as high as 212. Just saying.

I have found brisket is real hard to cook if you aren't there to babysit. I do Butts all the time...but brisky?

You check that reading with another Thermo? Is it probe tender? 3 hrs seems too Fast even for a small flat.

I just had my wife check it with another probe. Sure enough, it's only at 153. Stupid lying thermometer freaking me out. Thank you and everyone else for the quick responses.

Good Catch...

I quite using temp probes on big cuts and I always double check with a second probe when I do use one.

I'd let the flat ride until the point is done if the flat gets over cooked no big deal the real money is the point anyway. Over cooked flat makes for some good tacos:mrgreen:

His wife wrapped it in foil and put it in the cooler. So......

id find it very strange that the point finished before the flat ... especially at 275 in 3 hours.....I do cook mine at 275 a lot...just be sure to trim just a little more fat and throw some liquid (beef base beer etc) in when you wrap. PS: get at thermo pop. they never fail

Back