MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
ccarter
Full Fledged Farker

Question Expected time to smoke a brisket, and rub question

I picked up a 14.75lb brisket today (USDA Choice, $2.58/lb, thought I did well there). I usually expect 1.5 hours per pound, and that held pretty true for the only other brisket I've ever done. It was 8lbs and took 12 hours. Should I really expect it to take 22 hours to cook?

I am going to cook on my BWS Party, at about 245*. I know that if I foil I can cut that time down. I'm wondering if it would be bad to let it go, and if I start getting nervous about the time, foil at that point (it should be above 150* internal by that point).

I want to cook it so that it can be pulled around 3:00-3:30pm tomorrow and then sit for about 3 hours in the cooler before slicing.

Other question: Basic Montreal Steak Seasoning or Bad Byron's Butt Rub? I'm going to inject it with a very basic beef broth/stock injection.

Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks, and thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer!
ccarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarter View Post
I picked up a 14.75lb brisket today (USDA Choice, $2.58/lb, thought I did well there). I usually expect 1.5 hours per pound, and that held pretty true for the only other brisket I've ever done. It was 8lbs and took 12 hours. Should I really expect it to take 22 hours to cook?

I am going to cook on my BWS Party, at about 245*. I know that if I foil I can cut that time down. I'm wondering if it would be bad to let it go, and if I start getting nervous about the time, foil at that point (it should be above 150* internal by that point).
Time is a guideline, yes it could take that long and maybe not. Internal temperature is also a guideline, the real test is done by touching with the fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarter View Post
Other question: Basic Montreal Steak Seasoning or Bad Byron's Butt Rub? I'm going to inject it with a very basic beef broth/stock injection.
Use your favorite or just salt and pepper, make it to your liking...

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
landarc

On the rub, lots of folks love both, I prefer a simpler salt, pepper and aromatics rub myself. Sort of a Santa Maria type.

As for your timing, at 245F, you are probably looking at between 16 and 22 hours, which is a stupidly large range, but, there you are. I would bet on closer to 22 hours and I use the probe method to determine whether it is done or not.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I like Montreal Steak Seasoning on brisket. Some folks don't like the bigger bits of seasoning so I give it a whirl in a coffee grinder (dedicated for spice grinding) to make it finer.

The BWS seems to cook a little faster due to the moist environment, so you may be closer to 75 minutes per pound at 245. If you want to shorten the cook just kick up the temp. at 275 you'll be closer to an hour per pound. Just watch the bark color and if it is getting too dark then foil.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
ccarter
Full Fledged Farker

Landarc "stupidly large range" is about the best description I have ever heard!

Ron L, I thought about the grinder about 10 minute too late. I was turning back into my neighborhood, and just couldn't bring myself to go back... next time.

I've considered going a little hotter. I've also considered the foil option. According to the research on AmazingRibs.com, foiling should keep the meat going and not stall. I'm kinda thinking of shooting for about an 18 hour cook. I thinking I'll take a close look at it tomorrow at noon, and if I don't think I'll be able pull around 3:30, I'll foil and see if I can speed things up a bit.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
ccarter
Full Fledged Farker

Well, if anyone cares to know...

My 15lb brisket was done in 15 hours. The temp in the smoker was 245-250* the majority of the time. I had to restock twice and each time the smoker spent about 30 minutes getting back up to 245, then continueing to climb to 260 where it would stay for about 15 minutes before settling back down to 245-250. I seperated the point at the 12 hour mark returned the cubed point to the smoker for burnt ends (which I plan to taste shortly). After an additional 3 hours (hour 12 to hour 15) between 225-245*, I pulled the flat and wrapped it up to sit. Dinner isn't until 6ish and I pulled the flat at 12:30, so it'll have a while to rest. I intend to check it at 4pm and stick it in a 200* oven wrapped in foil with a little beef broth if necessary.

The packer was 15lbs when I brought it home. My best guess is that I trimmed a solid 2 lbs of unnecessary fat before I started to smoke. Overall I'd guess that I was closer to about 70 mins per pound on this one.

Thank you again to everyone for the suggestions!

Old 09-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Bludawg

Montreal is my choice. Run your pit temp at 275* and you should be probe tender in 6-8 hrs.

Tags
backwoods, beef, brisket, BWS, injection, Party