Woke up and rubbed my butt-when do I pull my pork?

cameraman

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
My butts went on the grill (see sig.) at 5:30 this am. The question is, since I'm not eating it until 3 pm tomorrow, when it's done do I rest it and pull it? Do I rest it and refregierate it then reheat it tomorrow and pull it? I've got a brisket going on after this is done, and 3 racks of ribs tomorrow am. Happy T-day everyone!

Good question, i would assume that the juices might retain a little better if you wait until after the reheat to pull. But I am no expert, i will let the other fellas chime in.

id get it off the grill when it pops, let it rest a few hours, safe the juices in the foil. Shred it into ziploc freezer bags with a little vinegar, red pepper flakes, s&p, and some of the juices and dunk that whole freezer bag into boiling water when you are ready to serve

when your internal temp hits 195-200. You will need to pull it then, otherwise the feeling is lost.

Kinda depends on your situation. Is oven space in high demand tomorrow?

If you have plenty of oven space, then leaving it whole is OK - but it will take longer to warm. However, I don't really see an advantage to this with pork.

If you need oven space, it will warm faster if it's already pulled. Plus, being pork it's not going to dry out if you keep the natural juices. It's OK to pull tonight, put in a disposable tin with it's juices (assuming you plan on foiling during the cook) and cover the tin with foil for storage and heating. If you put it in an oven around 350 to warm, it should be hot in under an hour. If it doesn't have much liquids in the tin, add a little apple juice before you start to warm.

I would think pull it when ready and reheat. You could take the chance of drying it out trying to reheat the whole Butt. Me, I would put into Tupperware or Zip locks in easy to manage portions for reheating. I would also ask for help when pulling your Pork, it will be much more fun...:icon_devil

I wouldn't put a ziplock in boiling water, maybe a simmer. The seal could break. I only put ffoodsaver bags in simmering and they are double sealed. I've had breakage and it sucks

I wouldn't put a ziplock in boiling water, maybe a simmer. The seal could break. I only put ffoodsaver bags in simmering and they are double sealed. I've had breakage and it sucks

Good point! I use Zip locks with just a little opening in the MW as the bags seem to steam the meat and everything I do this way comes out moist.

Woke up and rubbed my butt

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Spoken like a true son of Nashville.

Back