Defrosting a Brisket

SPRfree

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Brethren

How long will it take to defrost an 11lb brisket going from the freezer to refrigerator?

Sprfree

If you put it in a cold water bath and change the water periodically it should take about an hour per pound. If you stick it in the fridge it should take about 24 hours for every 5 lbs, so about 2 days.

If you want to speed the process up, put it on the counter until the frost melts, then put it in the fridge.

Just from personal experience with defrosting beef, slow defrosting will help with retaining moisture. I have defrosted a frozen 5 pound Tri-Tip in a few hours in running cold water and the meat seems to be not quite the same, there also seem to be a lot of liquid in the cryovac bag when defrosting fast. But it took 2 days to defrost another tri tip that was left in the fridge and it came out juicy and beautiful. Again this is just from my experience.

Just from personal experience with defrosting beef, slow defrosting will help with retaining moisture. I have defrosted a frozen 5 pound Tri-Tip in a few hours in running cold water and the meat seems to be not quite the same, there also seem to be a lot of liquid in the cryovac bag when defrosting fast. But it took 2 days to defrost another tri tip that was left in the fridge and it came out juicy and beautiful. Again this is just from my experience.

2 days for a tri-tip...sounds like I'll need 4 days for an 11lb brisket???

I defrost 15 to 17 lb briskets by putting them in the fridge 4 days before I want to trim. I'd say you ought to be good at 3 days, even if it thaws in 2.5 days it isn't going to hurt it to sit in the fridge for an extra day or 2.

2 days for a tri-tip...sounds like I'll need 4 days for an 11lb brisket???

Yeah maybe. I think a 12 pound brisket should take 2-3 days similar to the time frame of a 12 pound turkey during the holidays.

Our fridg stays cold as we are only home after 6 so the fridg never opens.

Vince

Back