• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS w/draft door

biggs98

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Waiting for my SS drum to arrive and I'm thinking of using a BGE draft door instead of the traditional intakes. Any issues using the door as opposed to the intakes or are they similar in maintaining heat. Any and all info/opinions is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Works great on my SS Drum. I used a large/medium one too. It gives a very wide range of temperature control.

4Basket.jpg

The next drum I build will have one. I just have to figure out where to purchase.

I mounted mine right at the bottom to allow me to rake ashes out when needed.
Interesting. I mounted mine up 4" to allow for more air flow across the basket. I also include a pizza pan under the coal basket to collect the ashes. that's why I like this site, ideas, ideas...........great. Plus, I think the BGE vent looks great on a SS drum.

Any issues with the charcoal in the basket burning more on one side??

Same here. I put the kettle lid vent on the opposite side.

Same here my vents are opposite the intake. Your idea has merit. having to do it over again I would lower the vent, but still install the pizza pan under the fire basket. This way I could lift out the ashes with the basket......and get inside to scrape up the stuff that still finds its way to the bottom of the barrel. :clap2:

Hey stupid question but the drum I'm getting held wine, so a quick burn, wash and season should do right????

Hey stupid question but the drum I'm getting held wine, so a quick burn, wash and season should do right????

The way I did mine, and mind you I had to remove the liner first :mmph: You're in a much better position. I would build it complete. Draft door, top, racks everything, including the bottle opener. Then wipe down the inside with lard and fire it up. Take it to 350* let it sit there for a bit and then throw on a couple fatties. If you want you could wash down the inside withdish soap and water first. Either or your call. Post pics.

Back