• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The Rub Company Carne Asada Tacos: WARNING: Do not view this if you are hungry!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Last week Ryan Chester from the Rub Company suggested I try some of his Original flavor rub on carne asada. The thought never occurred to me, although after thinking about the savory, explosive flavor of this particular rub, it had to be a winner.

Normally I marinate my carne asada in orange juice, onions, cilantro, and seasoned salt. This time, I left out the seasoned salt and just packed up the meat with all the other ingredients so it could marinate for a few days, with the plan to season the meat about an hour before I put it on the grill.

I used some nice USDA Choice skirt steak I purchased at Costco:

DSC_0048.jpg

Then I added the onions, cilantro, and orange juice to the bag and threw some of the skirt steak in:

DSC_0008.jpg

Last night I pulled the meat out of the bag, and generously dusted the meat with Rub Company Original. Note the coarseness of the rub, which creates an amazing texture when it cooks:

DSC_0018.jpg

After letting the meat sit for a while, I fired up the grill for indirect, and added a few small pieces of pecan:

DSC_0023.jpg

As I was about to put the meat on, The Missus began making tortillas from fresh masa.

DSC_0025.jpg

If you've ever thought about making fresh tortillas, it's easy and they are out of this world. We use fresh white (not yellow) masa that is commonly available at Mexican markets. All you need is a tortilla press and you're in business.

I put the meat on the cool side of the grill so it could absorb some of that nice pecan smoke:

DSC_0027.jpg

After about 15 mins of cooking indirect, I put the meat on the hot side for a good sear:

DSC_0032.jpg

When the meat was done, I let it sit for about 10 mins, then began slicing it up:

DSC_0033.jpg

This rub really caramelizes beautifully!

Meat completed chopped and ready:

DSC_0038.jpg

Time to make tacos!

DSC_0036.jpg

For each taco, we added a thin slice of avocado, and some fresh pico de gallo The Missus made. Served up with hot salsa roja and tomatillo salsa, with some picked carrots and jalapenos on the side:

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

The tacos were off the hook good, especially with the great flavor the rub added to the meat. Another successful experiment that will be repeated again many times!

Thanks for checking out my tacos.

You were right, should not have looked, but I did, and I am starving now.
Those are the bomb, fabulous. Great pics as well.

I'll be trying this next weekend, I love carne asada and fresh made tortillas you cant go wrong great job on this grub and PRON!.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Well, I wasn't hungry when I started looking. Different story now. :hungry:

Those look absolutely amazing and yer getting dangerous with that camera! :clap2:

I just ate and am hungry again after seeing those pics.

Dayum ! With that pron and step by step instructions I think even I could pull this off. I've never made tortillas before but I think I saved a post on those too. Don't know about the tortilla press though, I thought you just rolled them out with a rolling pin. Just goes to show you what I know about fixin Mexican. I'll try anything once. Thanks for the post and fantastic pron. :thumb:

can you get mrs.moose to do a tortilla tutorial? mine suck and those look excellent!

can you get mrs.moose to do a tortilla tutorial? mine suck and those look excellent!

Most important, you want fresh same day WHITE masa, at least if you want authentic. Next, you need a good tortilla press. Form the masa into balls about the size of golf balls, which will give you a tortilla about 6 inches in diameter. Use a clean plastic grocery bag, torn open to cover both top and bottom or tortilla press. This will keep the tortilla from sticking when you pull the tortilla off the press. Place masa ball in center of press, press down, and you have a tortilla.

We cook ours on a cast iron comal, but a good cast iron skillet will work equally as well. Heat the skillet to medium high heat, then put the tortilla on. Do not turn until the tortilla starts to curl around the edges a bit, then turn the tortilla over. When it starts to puff slightly, you're done! Roughly cook about 2-3 minutes per side.

I'm sure there's some good youtube videos on the subject as well.

Looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing

Back