• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Daniel Boone or Jim Bowie (edited)?

Bob C Cue

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have a friend who is considering either the Daniel Boone or the Jim Bowie. Currently they're both on sale at the St Louis BBQ store. There's $100 price difference between the two. Any recommendation on which he should purchase and why? Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Unless he needs the portability of the DC I would get the bigger cooker. I have the DC and it has a hot spot in the front right. Not that big of a deal but for $100 more I would go bigger.

I've had all 3 GMG's and the Jim Bowie by far is the worst of the bunch. It takes longer to cook everything and the least amount of smoke. What's the price of the Daniel Boone, the middle sized cooker?

I've had all 3 GMG's and the Jim Bowie by far is the worst of the bunch. It takes longer to cook everything and the least amount of smoke. What's the price of the Daniel Boone, the middle sized cooker?

Thanks. I mistakenly said Davy Crockett but the other one he was looking at was the actually Daniel Boone. The Daniel Boone is 399 and the Jim Bowie is 499.

We have the DB and have wished a few times for more real estate, to donit over again I’d do the JB.

We have the DB and have wished a few times for more real estate, to donit over again I’d do the JB.

And then you'd be fighting with the JB each cook and wishing you had your DB, which you could rely on for cooking times within the ballpark. :razz:

just bought the jim bowie and so far i really like it. i was between the jim bowie and daniel boone but decided to go big or go home.

I like my older choice series DB but it's to small regretted not getting the JB and just grabbed a JB prime and I'm really happy with it.

There's enough space on the JB to get it done right, here's some cooks from the last two weeks.

Whole beef shoulder, this one was on the small side at 35 pounds but still took up some real estate in the cooker.

2ametqVl.jpg

4w1WoUcl.jpg

dCf2UG9l.jpg

Four butts there's enough room to space the pans and get really good airflow and balanced temperatures.

iSGx43Tl.jpg

Some baby backs this is a rib cooking machine 1.5 in the smoke and 1.5 in the foil @275*

vgNlHbUl.jpg

Qyq7xsel.jpg

Depends what you plan to do really and if you have other smokers available. I bought the Daniel Boone model a few weeks ago and I love it.

I have a big smoker for big cooks and mainly just wanted a nice grill that I could also smoke a butt or 2 or a few racks of ribs. If I didn't have my big smoker already I probably would have went with the Jim Bowie, although it still wouldn't have been big enough for some of the cooks I do. So far I've done pork chops, chicken wings, pork loins, butts, tri-tip, and burgers. All turned out great.

So my thoughts are how often will you be needing to cook more than what the Daniel Boone can handle? The Jim Bowie will use more pellets, so having to fire up a big grill to do a lot of small cooks will cost you more money in the long run.

Thanks folks for the great advice. We are going to the Stlbs Friday to take a look. Does anyone prefer the Prime over the Choice?

I have the DB and enjoy it for the set it and forget it option,
but I find myself using one of my other cookers more often

And then you'd be fighting with the JB each cook and wishing you had your DB, which you could rely on for cooking times within the ballpark. :razz:

I don't know what you mean about fighting it. I've had my Jim Bowie for 7 years and never had a fight. After finding the right spot for the deflectors its set it and forget it. As for more smoke,everyone with a pellet will use a smoke tube for more smoke. Just saying

I have the bare bones daniel boone model. I live in the middle of nowhere and can't get internet, so wifi does me no good. I can also open the lid to check my pellets so the window wasn't worth the extra money.

I have had my JB for about 7 years now and you to have about a 50* difference left to right and after playing around with the diffusers mood longer experience that issue. As far as consistent cook times I have never had a problem with that either.

I dislike the windows on the prime models. I think it is completely useless and looks stupid. I have a choice wifi Daniel Boone and like it.

I am going to chime in and say if you have a window (like my copperhead smoker) you will either be cleaning it, or wishing it was metal instead. My window on my copperhead doesn't get cleaned off--I already know what the food looks like. :p

So my friend bought the Daniel Boone Prime today. Not crazy about the window but the Prime does offer the front shelf, better stand and casters, ability to connect to a car battery, and easier clean out.

I'll let you know how it works for him.

Thanks to all for your educated responses.

Back