Looking for a Sweet Rib Rub

gotribe28

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I usually use a store bought rub like Famous Daves or Earl Campbells but last night the wife and I went to a BBQ place (only because we got a gift certificate) nothing seems to measure up to mine... brag brag....
As expected the brisket and chicken were both drier then a popcorn fart, but man oh man were the ribs outstanding, he used a very sweet rub almost made it taste like candy ribs, they were addicting. Now I love my ribs have been told to start selling by the rack but the wife wants me to try this kind of rub.... Any ideas? Would Grub Rub be what I am looking for or not sweet enough?

Bone Suckin' original seasoning & rub taste pretty sweet to me.

Sorry cant read- for rubs pick one you like and add some turbinado sugar to sweeten to your preference. Or try raging river or pineapple head from dizzy pig

Are you sure they were just dry rubbed? A lot of the sweetness I see comes from the honey, brown sugar and juice they are soaked in during the foiling. They don't look like they've been mopped with sauce, but they have a particular candied glaze to them when done that way.

That said... like was previously said, I'd just take something you already like and mix it 50/50 with brown sugar and rub that on to start with.

Bone Suckin' original seasoning & rub taste pretty sweet to me.

I second this. Amazing and sweet.

Also you might consider this: I've seen people coat their ribs with brown sugar with some butter on top right when they foil. I've never tried it but I plan to after seeing it. Edit: Ha! Looks like Q Dat beat me too it.

The brown sugar and honey when you foil will give you all the sweet you need. Plowboys Yardbird is good compliment though.

Folks at my house seem to like Three Little Pigs 'Touch of Cherry' rub.
Lowe's carries it by me.

Plowboy's yardbird is more salty than it is sweet.

A good option for sweet rub is Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub and then add in a secondary layer of Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction. This is my go to rub combination on ribs. I did a rack of full spares last night (no foil or sauce) and they loved it. It has a very natural sweetness that isn't overly sweet.

If you like your ribs sweeter you can do a foil step, where you put in butter, brown sugar, honey/agave nectar. Add in hotsauce if you want to give it a sweet heat, add more rub in to give it a little bit more salt/base flavor. Be careful with how much brown sugar/honey/agave nectar you use, the ribs might turn out with a very candied meat flavor where you lose the taste of pork.

Plowboy's yardbird is more salty than it is sweet.

A good option for sweet rub is Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub and then add in a secondary layer of Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction. This is my go to rub combination on ribs.......

+1 on the SMSS... that's one of my goto rubs for ribs as well. I really like it as a base sweet rub.

Thank you everyone for the advice....

I really appreciate it and that video is awesome...

Karl

I take honey and put it in the microwave for a few sec's and that makes it thin enough to baste the ribs .. then put the rub and the brown sugar on

Back