MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

Default Corner BBQ Stand- what would I need?

So here is my deal.. I have some land leftover from a real estate project at a busy intersection but too small to put anything substantial on it.

For anyone that has a bbq roadside stop how much space do you have? Dimensions? Do you need a permanent building? Do you offer seating or just walk up? Parking or no parking(the code here will make me put in some spaces)

The land is substantial size with at a traffic light intersection but it is too narrow for anything else.

I plan on marketing this idea to the local bbq restaurants and seeing if they would like a roadside on this end of town.

Any thoughts, details and pics of your stand would be appreciated.

Also did all of you buy your own setups or did the landowner furnish anything for you? (smoker, stand/shack, seating etc..

Do most of you rent or own your space?
Keep in mind parked and movable food trucks are not permitted in this area so there will not be competition from anything like that

Thanks
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2013, 03:01 AM   #2
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

I would go to the business's you mention and make a "general proposal". They should know what they would need such as land owner supplied physical plant or equipment items (or none). They should also have a good idea regarding what Health Dept codes must be met in order for them to run a food service business at that location. Then you can use this information to structure a deal for offering.

Many developers will supply a "built to specs" building for a tenant. Usually the tenant is responsible for supplying the design. But it all depends on what both parties need from the deal. Some tenants lease the land and build their own with a clause that they must return the land to it's original condition if they break the lease or close up shop. I would suggest speaking with your accountant and attorney regarding these options.

It sounds like something that is definitely worth looking into. Let us know if it progresses. It may inspire others to do the same.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Is it big enough for a drive thru?

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Many of my best BBQ experiences have been at roadside "trailers". A current favorite off I75 in Ocala (near Northern Tool & Gander Mountain) is a large comp trailer with a walkup window, a separate metal shed to cover a rotisserie cooker, a few picnic tables with umbrella type covers. Parking for maybe 10 vehicles. Always slammed for lunch.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
Is it big enough for a drive thru?
The narrow dimensions would not allow a true drive though no. It may allow park side dining and serving such as a sonic but I would have to further research the code for that.

That might not be a good idea though as it would occupy the limited parking for a lengthy tiime

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

I think something like a walk up with an awning would be cool. If you had some type of covering on the side(s) and rear possibly with tables that would be pretty cool. Maybe a small bldg with a counter, and a high (15 feet or so) rigid canopy like a gas station over an area of picnic tables of to the side?

Sounds fun though. Good luck!

Old 07-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Do you have water, sewer and electric onsite?
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
Do you have water, sewer and electric onsite?
Yes but a tap hookup would need to be put in. Its expensive if they categorize it as a resturant but I will not need to put in any new lines. Just tap and impact fees

Old 07-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

I just opened a bbq shack, check out this thread. That's basically me
starting a bbq shack from start to finish. When I get home to a really keyboard I'll. Answer some of your questions specifically.

Pwa
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

In terms of supplied by the land owner, it runs the gamut, from no improvements to full power and utilities. Beyond that, you pay for what you get. I have seen everything from a power pole and stub-outs, to an entire building put up. I would check the people you intend to market too.

Personally, I would need at least a 15' wide x 25' long space to even consider opening a walk-up joint. That would be not including parking or landscaping. You will need at least two refrigeration units, four sinks, 2 counters, space for walking, a stove, all that starts to eat up space. To be honest though, I would want to build my own shack rather than walk into something that doesn't fit me and how I cook. Done that show before.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 01:58 AM   #11
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post
For anyone that has a bbq roadside stop how much space do you have? Dimensions? Do you need a permanent building? Do you offer seating or just walk up? Parking or no parking(the code here will make me put in some spaces)
Semi-permanent building... it can be moved but not on wheels. No seating just take out. Lots of parking even room for tractor trailers.

Quote:
Any thoughts, details and pics of your stand would be appreciated.
See above mentioned thread

Quote:
Also did all of you buy your own setups or did the landowner furnish anything for you? (smoker, stand/shack, seating etc..
I bought my shack used, move it rehabed it, land owner furnished hmmm land thats it.

Quote:
Do most of you rent or own your space?
rent

pwa
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote