MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Tri Tip, Bread, Corn Casserole, & Peaches on Eggs (w/pr0n)

I had picked up this tri tip a week ago while it was on sale, froze it, thawed it, and cooked it yesterday using my favorite Rub Co 50/50 Original/Santa Maria rub combo:

While it was cooking indirect on the Small Egg, I had my 4 QT CI dutch oven in the Large Egg baking some artisan bread:

The bread was done and pulled. I'm no baker by any stretch of the imagination but I was happy with this:

The tri tip reached about 112-115 IT and I pulled it for a brief rest while I got the Large Egg up to high heat. Some really sweet white corn is on sale this week of 6 ears/$2 so I used the corn off of 1 1/2 ears instead of all canned corn and put it into a corn casserole. Into the Small went four Lodge CI mini servers filled with corn casserole at 350 degrees. There's one server barely visible under the 3 (sitting on the cooking grid from my Mini Egg):

While the corn casserole was cooking, I quickly seared the tri-tip and set it aside to rest and seared some white peaches drizzled with some white balsamic vinegar:

In the last few minutes of the corn casserole cook I added some shredded medium cheddar cheese (to 3 of the 4 as I couldn't easily access the divided mini-server that was under the other 3). The casserole came off the Egg:

Sliced up the tri-tip:

The peaches got a whipped cream, powdered sugar, vanilla extract filling into the center and another light drizzle of white balsalmic. Plated and served:

It was a nice meal and topped off a day of overeating with my wife & MIL.

Thanks for looking!

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown![/URL][/U]
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

That's a beautifully trimmed tri tip. Good price too for trimmed.

I wish the numbskull meat stockers around here could do it like that. My local grocer HEB started stocking tri tips again, they are getting better at trimming them down, but the quality of the meat seems to be lower end of select for same price $3.99/lb.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Awesome pr0n! Excellent adult beverage choice.
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Outstanding cook.
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
bobfeebish
Got Wood.

Beautifully done :)

Care to share the recipe for the corn casserole?
bobfeebish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfeebish View Post
Beautifully done :)

Care to share the recipe for the corn casserole?
Sure, it is a Paula Deen recipe:

1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained - I used some sweet local corn from a cobb instead
1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
1 (8-ounce) package corn muffin mix (recommended Jiffy)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
Shredded Medium Cheddar Cheese

Directions

In a large bowl, stir together the corn, corn muffin mix, sour cream, and butter. Pour into a greased casserole.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Top with generous amount of cheddar cheese and return to oven for another 5 minutes until cheese is melted. (I don't think I was that generous as my wife was watching and cautioned me to not overdo the cheese).

It was tasty but we might cut back a little on the butter (Paula isn't known for skimping on butter). :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown![/URL][/U]

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
Al Czervik
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Bravo John! Love every part of this meal.
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Looks GREAT John.
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

That sir is what I call nice pr0n!

Old 08-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That looks great John! Thanks for the recipe.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Phark yeah!
Looks mighty tasty R2!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

What can I say.............OUTFARKING STANDING...
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for the compliments!

Old 08-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
thaifighter06
On the road to being a farker

Dude. Looks OUTSTANDING. What was the final temp of the tri-tip when you took it off?
thaifighter06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
Jonwithanegg
Knows what a fatty is.

Very nice!
Great price on that tri tip too. Here in Maryland I have only ever found them at Wegmans and they are $11.99 lb!

Jon
Jonwithanegg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bge, bread, Corn Casserole, peaches