MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
dsm
Found some matches.

Default Prime Rib?

Just joined here. Couple of new smokes coming up for me. I'm going to try my first brisket soon and I'm also thinking of trying a prime rib. Any tips on doing a prime rib? Ours usually comes out pretty good in the oven so I'm on the fence about trying the smoker (WSM) but I've seen some great photos here.

thanks in advance,

steve
dsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Personally,I like to cook them indirect,lo n slo,250f dome til they reach an interior temp of no more than 120f.Tent loosely with foil for 20 to 30 minutes to rest,then slice and serve.You will get many opinions about searing,reverse searing and such.I do not think this is necessary.To each his own.Good luck and post pics.Season with whatever seasonings you like before roasting.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Deep fried in the turkey fryer will blow your mind!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
dsm
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometruckin View Post
Not sure I could bring myself to do this, but do you have any photos? I'd like to see it.

thanks

steve

Old 03-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
nostang88
Knows what a fatty is.

Forget the crawl before you walk jump right up into Prime why dont you.. There is ALLLOT of info on here but before you light a fire read allot of infor on here. Allot of what you want to do has already been discussed and multiple times. Different meats need different times and temps so that's my lesson for the day.
nostang88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
Dallas Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

This isn't exactly what you were looking for as it's not done on a WSM, but I can attest this recipe rocks for great prime rib: http://recipes.stevex.net/recipe/dav...lish_prime_rib

Old 03-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
dsm
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Dan View Post
This isn't exactly what you were looking for as it's not done on a WSM, but I can attest this recipe rocks for great prime rib: http://recipes.stevex.net/recipe/dav...lish_prime_rib
Thanks, this is actually pretty similar to how I normally do it in the oven.

I've used the smoker quite a few times for Ribs and Butts with great success. I'm finally going to try a brisket soon and then we picked up a prime rib for easter sunday and I got to thinking...

So, dumb question - Is there a search on this forum? I don't see one and I don't have access to the recipe section yet.

steve

Old 03-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

There is a Google search on the bottom of the page. It will just search this site.

As for the prime rib, I would start your smoker. Put the roast on with a probe thermometer stuck it it and cook to your desired temp. Not much you have to do. Just watch your temp any where between 250-300*F.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
criffaaa1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometruckin View Post
dam that sounds good, crisp on the outside all moist and tender in the middle. holy fark . .

Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

I swear if you ever fried a turkey, fry a prime rib. Google it, easy peazy lemon squeezy.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by criffaaa1 View Post
dam that sounds good, crisp on the outside all moist and tender in the middle. holy fark . .
My favorite done in like 30 minutes depending on size. Cracklin on the outside. it's killer

Old 03-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #12
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
There is a Google search on the bottom of the page. It will just search this site.
If for some reason you cannot find the search at the bottom of the page (I cannot, possibly because I have tracking cookies blocked) you can always search google using the site specifier. Try "site:www.bbq-brethren.com/forum standing rib roast" and you will get a lot of useful hits. I just bought a 9 lb standing rib roast (AKA prime rib, but this one is choice ) and was looking for ideas earlier this evening.

I plan to smoke at 225-250 until I hit an IT of 110-115 and then sear at 500 in a kettle after a half hour rest. I'll rub with S&P and fresh garlic and maybe some rosemary. I'll use oak and some mesquite for smoking wood. I'll allow 5 hours total time for cooking.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:20 AM   #13
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

go for it!!!!! I use a whole, wet aged 30 to 45 days, The best is all hot n fast and it will turn out like a meteor on the out side, nice n rare on the inside..I use my backwoods cranked up to 550* your favorite beef rub, no sugar, cook to internal of 120, then let it sit

2nd best is the infrared oil-less deep fryer AWESOME au-ju
but even slow cooked is good, hell what prime rib is not good???

Old 03-29-2013, 02:14 AM   #14
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If you decide you might like to try it, I pulled up this old thread where I had posted a recipe for deep fried prime rib. You never know.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ime+rib+recipe
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2013, 06:17 AM   #15
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
Personally,I like to cook them indirect,lo n slo,250f dome til they reach an interior temp of no more than 120f.Tent loosely with foil for 20 to 30 minutes to rest,then slice and serve.You will get many opinions about searing,reverse searing and such.I do not think this is necessary.To each his own.Good luck and post pics.Season with whatever seasonings you like before roasting.
My method is similar to what Hoss describes. After a lot of discussion on here, especially with Landarc, I've actually gone to lower temps and cook at 225 until 125 internal. At the lower cook temp you don't get as much carry over so I take it a little farther before resting. The lower cook temp give a more even cook temp on the inside. If you have folks who want theirs more done you can toss their slice on the grill for a couple of minutes or have a bath of beef stock handy and dip it in there for a minute to cook it further.

BTW, here is our FAQ...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/faq.php

It includes a lot of info on the forum including the details on the search function.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->