1/8 Cup Celery Seed
¼ Cup Paprika
1/8 Cup Red Pepper
¼ Cup Onion Salt
¼ Cup Garlic Powder
½ Cup Lawry Season Salt
½ Cup Brown Sugar

Blend to a fine powder.

I am going to try and add some hotter pepper spices next time and see how it goes.

add that to our recipe database too!!!

question:

Celery seed. I used to use them whole in my rub, but started to grind them into a powder and using a little less. When i left them whole, I found that occasionlly I would bite down on a seed just right and then it had a potent, sometimes overpowering celery flavor(or ya find one later left behind in molar :mrgreen: ) That went away when I tuned it to powder(and i can use less). Has anyone else noticed this?

Greg, thanks. That looks good. I'll try it.

Yes, I have bitten into a celery seed and it is quite a dominant flavor. The stuck in the molar thing too. Grinding sounds like a good idea.

BBQchef33 said:
Has anyone else noticed this?

Definitely. I'll use celery salt if I'm being too lazy to crack or grind them, but it's not the same.

Nice looking, rub, too. Got it saved.....thanks for sharing.

BBQchef33 said:

question:

Celery seed. I used to use them whole in my rub, but started to grind them into a powder and using a little less. When i left them whole, I found that occasionlly I would bite down on a seed just right and then it had a potent, sometimes overpowering celery flavor(or ya find one later left behind in molar :mrgreen: ) That went away when I tuned it to powder(and i can use less). Has anyone else noticed this?

Yeah, I found that too. I grind it all up in a coffee grinder now. It makes a nice fine power. I got some New Mexico Chili pods and Chili de Arbol that I thought I would try for some zing!

backyardchef said:
Definitely. I'll use celery salt if I'm being too lazy to crack or grind them, but it's not the same.

Nice looking, rub, too. Got it saved.....thanks for sharing.

FYI.. for those that dont know..

Celery salt is Different from granulated Celery seeds.. Just like onion and garlic salt is different from their granulated or powdered counterparts.

Ones a seasoning salt(contains salt, or other stuff).... the others, granulated and powdered, are a pure ground up product.

just thought i'd share. :wink:

Interesting, you are the first I have seen that used curry powder. Used properly gives a great tint of flavor that most cannot figure out. I am gonna give her a shot...Thanks

Im not familiar with hickory salt. Where do you find this?

Brauma said:
Im not familiar with hickory salt. Where do you find this?
Several places sell it - usually speciality spice locations like "Planters Seed" in KC,MO...

It is fairly easy to make it however... you can smoke your salt! I will find a link to a specific recipe that I believe came from alton brown... and post it.

BBQchef33 said:

question:

I agree 100%, I have coffee grinder just for my spices - grinding solves that problem, as you alluded to!

As a side note.... That rub works great - I have used a similar one from Steve Raichlen that rocks.

McCormick actually sells Hickory salt. Should be able to find it at any major grocery chain at least in the south.

You can buy ground celery seed too. Spice Island is the brand I normally get. Works good in a bloody marry too! No hard seeds to chew.

Back