• Wings Cooked Vortex Style with New and Improved Chicken Rub #2 - Recipe Included!

I am a new member. Just purchased a vortex a couple months ago. Wings look great anxious to try your recipe.

Oh wow ! Great pics, just got them. Turns out Big Brother was blocking content. No chicken wing photos allowed by this Orwellian Co.

Excellent looking wings! Thanks for the recipe.

Looks like I may need another toy to add to my grilling accessories. :grin:

Just ordered the vortex you shared the link to!
Making these this Sunday. :-D
Thanks for sharing!

Mixed up the Moose rub last night.

The vortex showed up yesterday with a few battle scars from shipping.
I'll spend some quality time with it and a hammer. Should straighten right out.
Have 5lbs of wings ready to for Sunday.
Can't wait!

Last edited:
How does the Vortex work any better then the baskets that come with the Weber MT? I just can't justify spending $40+ for a piece of sheet metal folded into a cone.
Make me believe.

I like the entire operation there.

Nice ingredient set for the rub. Definitely worth making a mix.

That vortex really seems to do wonders for wings.

Cheers!

How does the Vortex work any better then the baskets that come with the Weber MT? I just can't justify spending $40+ for a piece of sheet metal folded into a cone.
Make me believe.

You should post this as a separate thread because you will get ten pages of opinions generally falling into two camps:

- People like me who do not have the equipment to cut and weld a heavy piece of sheet metal into a cone and are more than willing to pay a reasonable price for a new toy that will last for years. Unlike the cheap baskets that Weber includes, the Vortex is very heavy duty and focuses heat into the top of the lid which radiates back down the sides. Weber baskets are made for indirect heat from one side of the kettle.

- People who think that any accessory is too expensive and will go to great lengths to prove how foolish the rest of us are for spending our money on something you could easily make yourself. The favored method on this site seems to be cutting the bottom off of an old metal dog bowl.

Whatever works for you! :clap2:

Candice,
Tomorrow will be the first time for me to use mine, but as Bacchhus2B said, the difference is focusing of intense heat from the top down vs indirect heat of the baskets.
I made my own baskets for indirect heat from expanded metal vs buying them. I was going to make my own vortex as well, but when I saw this thread, I really wanted to make this recipe, so I just ordered one.
I do have the tools to make my own, and I will probably be making a few for some friends, and since I have 3 weber kettles, probably a couple more for myself, assuming I like the results.
I think I will.
Off the top of my head, I'd probably have $20 in materials and shipping getting the stainless delivered to make one, so under $40 delivered already made isn't too bad for a stainless one.
I'll be sure to post some pics and let you know what I think about it!
Terry

Back