MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #10816
Mark Warren
is one Smokin' Farker

Buda1 are you going to weld side on the Pizza Pan Ash Tray or leave it flat?
Mark Warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #10817
Buda1
Found some matches.

Was going to leave it flat for now. I opted to go w that style at $7 rather than the deep dish for much more. Figured it was better than an open bottom. I don't weld, I'll have a friend tack the basket to the pan.
Buda1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #10818
RustyPup
Got Wood.

No, I'm not finished reading this thread (Page 21 so far,) but I can already see that you folks are a BAD influence!

I just called my local scrap metal dealer, and he says he has more steel 55 gallon drums than I could buy - for $8 apiece.

Evil folks, I tell you - pure evil!

It's on - film at 11...

Old 04-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #10819
BobBill
Knows what a fatty is.

Just more info on the small UDS above (Squatchin' salad bowl)...I did not remove outside new bbl paint, just roughed it up and sprayed over it.

The first smoke went near perfect. Temp stay at 251 near whole time and about half the coals remained, though wood was kaput.

If you have access to a Weber top, this is not a complaint, I would buy the right length of metal strip, a 6 inch wide strip if possible, and bolt it to inside and set medium Weber top on that strip. No drips...having said that, I like the salad bowl and will have to figure a way to reduce the drips or just use on dirt...like I said not complaining, just pass on info.

BTW, like dogs, cooks always likes his own...chicken was a bit over done, dark and could have been removed hour earlier I suspect - was on for exactly 4 hours at 250 degrees...I hauled down to bar for those who were there and it was all gobbled. Ribs next, bon app...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Squatchin!stSmoke.jpg (89.4 KB, 824 views)

Last edited by BobBill; 04-24-2013 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: Clarity
BobBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #10820
PoppyJ
Found some matches.

For those looking for a nice ash pan, Lowe's sells Water Heater pans in several different diameters. They are aluminum and would make a fantastic ash catch pan. The fire basket with the legs should sit right down in this thing. I work at Lowe's so I will be picking mine up tomorrow.
PoppyJ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #10821
BobBill
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPup View Post
No, I'm not finished reading this thread (Page 21 so far,) but I can already see that you folks are a BAD influence!

I just called my local scrap metal dealer, and he says he has more steel 55 gallon drums than I could buy - for $8 apiece.

Evil folks, I tell you - pure evil!

It's on - film at 11...

I bought a new 30 gal drum for 60 $coots, just to be sure inside was clean etc and to keep the labors down...burned it out with big torch to remove anti rust, if any, like others have done here...FWIW.

Yes, I suppose it is evil, but what fun isn't? What kills me, I have been smoking briskets for 10 years and never thought to do a barrel job...and son got me into it. Never too late.

Last edited by BobBill; 04-24-2013 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: typo
BobBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #10822
RustyPup
Got Wood.

I'm gathering parts and scrap wood to burn whichever drum I bring home - most likely next week/weekend. I have too much going on this weekend to even consider trying it. Some of the drums I looked at were straight from a machine shop, with the MSDS and UN labels and placards still attached. The wife has the hand book to help me decipher what drum had what in it, so that's a plus. Looking for a used Weber here locally as we speak. It's funny, but I think that's going to be the single most expensive part of my UDS. Go figure...

Oh - and I'm up to page 58. I may be here a while...

Last edited by RustyPup; 04-24-2013 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: I kant spel
RustyPup is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #10823
dcbielby
Found some matches.

Another UDS is born. Thanks to all who posted
Attached Files
File Type: zip Attachments_2013425.zip (888.3 KB, 109 views)

Old 04-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #10824
dcbielby
Found some matches.

Hopefully those pictures are viewable. Enjoyed the build, food pron to follow this weekend.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #10825
Zona
Found some matches.

OK, these are the drums i got for my UDS build. They were blue with white lids, that i had sandblasted. They were food grade, and had original labels on them that were for Corn Syrup.

My stupid n00b question is, how can i tell if these are galvanized steel? I just read that some barrels are actually galvanized steel, and are not safe to use for a UDS. How can i tell?

EDIT--I have also read that sandblasting removes the galvanized coating, so i should be good, yes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0427131248.jpg (82.0 KB, 742 views)

Last edited by Zona; 04-27-2013 at 05:58 PM..
Zona is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #10826
dcbielby
Found some matches.

Wet the inside or a part where you have grinded, and wait for a couple days. If they start to rust they're not galvanized.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #10827
Buda1
Found some matches.

Finished my first UDS. Thanks Brethren! Time to season and Q!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.8 KB, 706 views)
Buda1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #10828
sjm845
Got Wood.

Default Flat lid hinge mod

I have been wanting to put a hinge on my drum for a while now and finally got around to doing it. Was going to fab my own system up like a few I've seen on this forum but had to go KISS due to KIDS!!! Anyway, got a fence hinge from Home Depot and bolted & welded it up good. The tension on the hinge was great out the box and it will hold it up 90 degrees no problem. One hinge was plenty for the weight of the lid and pipe stack. Excuse the welds...never even had 1 lesson!!
IMG_1308[1].jpg
It might not look straight but it seals up nice and tight.
IMG_1306[1].jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1305[1].jpg (93.7 KB, 685 views)
SLOATSBURG, NY
[URL="http://tellyouwhatbbq.com"]TELLYOUWHATBBQ.COM[/URL]
[URL="http://facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
Twitter: [URL="http://twitter.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]@tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
RUB IT...SMOKE IT...PULL IT!
sjm845 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #10829
Big_Alvin
Full Fledged Farker

ok, finally ready to start the UDS build. read through most of this thread over the winter. i picked up 3 barrels, held cranberry juice, for $10 a piece. they had the dreaded red liner so i had them sand blasted out for $55. so i've got the barrels ready to burn for total investment of $85 so far. Okay, todays step is the burn...will post more pictures as i make progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg burn 1 (2).jpg (84.2 KB, 674 views)

Old 04-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #10830
karver
Got rid of the matchlight.

Well, I just spent 2 entire days reading this thread. Great info on here. I only have one question before I start my build. The barrel that I have had sodium hyrdroxide beads in it. It is unlined, and there is a little residue left in it. Should I use this barrel or find something different? I looked up what that was and am still not sure if I should use the barrel. Plus I have no idea how to clean it out (heard no to inhale fumes or get on skin, etc..). Although, people have used oven cleaner to try to get liners off which contains sodium hydroxide......
karver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker