When is brisket done?

mstewart39

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have done brisket on my kamado, I don't wrap, I'm happy with it, and I feel that I make a decent brisket. I cook the brisket until it's probe tender all over the place. But I usually cook for 14-18 hours.

So I decided that I want to get good at making it on my Bandera around 275-300 degrees, and I keep making "pretty good" brisket, never "really good" brisket. My issue is knowing when it's done.

I typically cook it for a few hours to around 160 degrees, get the color the way I like it, wrap it in butcher paper with a probe in the flat and the point. But they're always so different in temperature and I can't see the wrapped brisket, so I struggle knowing when to take it off. Last brisket I was convinced it was ready by the temperatures, I unwrapped it, and didn't feel that it was probe-tender enough. So I wrapped it back up, lost a decent amount of the liquid, and cooked for another 45 minutes or so. I made such a mess the first time I checked that I just decided to rest it without checking again. It was decent, tasted great, but it just wasn't quite done. The point didn't pull apart as easily as it should.

I'd love to hear some people describe how they determine that the wrapped brisket is finished.

Thanks!

It's done when it probes like butter....even when you're probing thru butcher paper or foil. That may be 202 degrees or 212 degrees. Temp is not a set-in-stone rule to go by. You gotta let the brisket tell you when it's done.

I’ve had a lot of good ones finish between 200-210. I used to just pull it at a temperature (like 203). Now I go strictly by feel. Last one probed like butter at 209 and it was excellent. Probe it with a thermapen.

+2

Unless you get used to the feel of picking it up to tell when it's done

this works well once you get the hang of it. it's best described as being loose and will have some bend to it.

you can also tell it done when the flat moves around on top of the point like a bad wig

If you are going by temp, you are doing it wrong.

It's done when it probes tender- it's a "feel thing" - if it was a "temp thing", all thermos would have a mark or beep saying "Brisket's ready"

They don't sell those because there is no such thing as a "done temp" for brisket.

What Nuco said!

I was having this very discussion today ay work. He said “brisket is done at 172° but it’s a little tough to chew! Buuuuut that’s when I pull it off...”

A little tough? A LITTLE???

He must have a jaw like a pit bull.

He must!

I can’t imagine!

I told him how I built my probe and to totally forget this cook to a temp thang on the big meats! I swear he looked at me like I’d fallen out of cellar!

I drew him a diagram and showed him where to prove a brisket and he just rolled his eyes. A couple hours later he was making a probe :becky:

If probing thru paper cut a small slit over the thickest part of the flat to probe thru. Sometimes the paper will add some extra resistance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Smoke til 160 at the thickest part....
This is the last time you'll ever look at the meat temp. Because "officially", beef is edible at 125. But if you eat it now, it'll be the last time you ever smoke a brisket.

Wrap.
Pour entire thick/dark beer in the paper/foil.
Allow to continue to cook until the probe has no resistance. When I say "no resistance", I mean ZERO. RESISTANCE. Yes, despite what your brain says, this is actually possible.

Once it's this tender, (DO NOT UNWRAP) place the wrapped meat into a cambrio/cooler, and allow to rest. Like for a few hours. Three? Four? Yea. It's like that.

(Of course, if your "resting cooler" is outside and you live in Pennsylvania, and it's January and ten degrees, then (duh) you need to bring it in and rest at room temp).

Enjoy!

Oh.... The worst thing you can do is probe deep enough that you stab through the paper and drain the liquid gold.

For me, probing is to inconsistent. Never checked a temp yet on brisket.
Similar to above posts. When I pick up a brisket, wrapped, unwrapped. It should be as flexible as when you first put it on. If the flat won't curve easily, it is not done. Easy to check while on the smoker.
The most important IMHO is the hold time. That is where the magic happens.

Back