Skirt Steak is Off My List

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Got a really good deal on a 1.5 pound skirt steak. I grilled up to about medium rare on the Smokey Joe tonight seasoned with a little salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder.

When I took it out of the package, I knew I was in trouble because of all the silver skin. I removed as much as I could but it was an uphill battle. I served it sliced against the grain to make fajitas.

The flavor was good but the silver skin was pretty chewy. Skirt steak is off my list. No more for me unless they are giving it away.

Here is a crappy cell phone pic. That's all it deserves.

picture.php

Skirt steaks are very popular in my region and they're always properly cut. One of the tastier cuts of meat around here.

skirt steak really likes a marinade with some acid in it, citrus or vinegar for 12 hrs or more, and cut in 1/4" strips, great flavored meat, and it can be coaxed into being tender. Dont give up on it!!! try a new angle!!!

OK, if I get another good deal on it I may try it again. This one was CAB. I was surprised by all of the SS on it. If not for that, it would have been pretty good.

I will have to look into a marinade for it.

If you can get one without the silverskin, that will help a lot. I cook it medium rare to medium, sometimes, if beer is involved. It is tasty stuff to me. I cut it on a double bias, to get it thin and across the grain. And yes to a citrus heavy marinade. Very hot fire, searing to char, flip, sear to char, you are there.

Here is a prime example of beer-involved skirt steak, but, it was very tender still
P5050078.jpg

And more...
P4060137.jpg

That looks good, Landarc! When I took mine out of the package and saw the silver skin I was like "what the heck?" Perhaps, I should deal with my local butcher for the stuff and let him know that the excess SS is a no go.

I marinate in Bitter Orange garlic & cilantro and a little canola oil for at least 6 hrs, Score the devil out of the silver skin and cook it Santa Maria style strait on the coals silver skin down 3 min flip 1 min rest for 5 slice it up against the grain. if the silver skin looks like the back of a rack of ribs a Fillet knife is your best friend:-D

Yours looks better than mine did. Mine was covered with SS. I cut off as much as I could. But, it was covered with the stuff.

That's crazy talk! :mrgreen:

Seriously though, why not?

Because it's a tough cut with lots of fat and touch muscle. IMO it doesn't start to get really good until you get it med well or more and start rendering all the fat. There's also a lot of water in it so it's pretty forgiving in being overcooked. Get a grill scorching hot and sear the hell out of it.

As to the silver skin, just cut it off. My butcher cleans it but it's not too bad to do- comes off in strips. Also, last weekend I picked up some skirt steaks at restaurant depot and they were really average so be aware that quality can very greatly. You won't want to marinade good ones.

It's my favorite everyday steak. Just cut across the grain and it's not too chewy.

Forgot to add...just salt, pepper, and oil before putting on.

Last edited:
I think skirt steak properly cut, marinated cooked and sliced is o e of the list flavorful meats. I also like it best cooked on the smokey joe.
I always cook it the same, everyone that has ever eaten my fajitas say they are to die for. Everyone that has used my recipe says they are to die for.
2 large skirt steaks
Splash of worchester
Splash of olive oil
Splash of beer (modelo especial)
1 Tbs of ancho powder (mild bills)
1/4 c Pap and Elmer's fajita ultimo (Texas pellets)
1 tbs coarse black pepper
1 gallon freezer bag
Add all ingredients, shake shake shake, shake shake shake
Squeeze all the air out, marinate for 2-4 hrs. The fajita ultimo has parpain which is a tenderizer. Grill over super red hot coals, use the lid to extinguish any flare ups on smokey joe. Dayum Gina! They are phenomenal. Better luck next time man!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOiCw2qumBA&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]J$ fajitas on the smokey joe - YouTube[/ame]

I haven't done a ton of skirt steak but when I have I always marinade. Tried several different ways... Italian dressing, red wine vinegar/garlic, oj/soy sauce, olive oil/seasoning packet from the store, etc... Lots of different ways to go. I use it to make fajitas or tacos.

I'll sometimes go to the local Mercado or Mexican grocery store and buy their pre seasoned skirts from the butcher. Good stuff and they all have their own recipe. Don't throw the towel in on skirt steak, they are a consistent go-to!

I think skirt steak properly cut, marinated cooked and sliced is o e of the list flavorful meats. I also like it best cooked on the smokey joe.
I always cook it the same, everyone that has ever eaten my fajitas say they are to die for. Everyone that has used my recipe says they are to die for.
2 large skirt steaks
Splash of worchester
Splash of olive oil
Splash of beer (modelo especial)
1 Tbs of ancho powder (mild bills)
1/4 c Pap and Elmer's fajita ultimo (Texas pellets)
1 tbs coarse black pepper
1 gallon freezer bag
Add all ingredients, shake shake shake, shake shake shake
Squeeze all the air out, marinate for 2-4 hrs. The fajita ultimo has parpain which is a tenderizer. Grill over super red hot coals, use the lid to extinguish any flare ups on smokey joe. Dayum Gina! They are phenomenal. Better luck next time man!
J$ fajitas on the smokey joe - YouTube

Dude those fajitas look good I also use beer to marinate fajitas. Excellent choice of beer by the way goes good in a michelada for a hangover.:)

Jrow

Jesus Christ Landarc, that made my mouth watering in seconds...
The proper technique to remove that silver skin in pulling it by hand in the same direction of the grain otherwise it will tear very easily.

Back