MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
cocoflea
Found some matches.

Default brinkman smokenpit modifacation

This year I bought my first smoker (brinkman smokenpit) and I have been cooking good food on it I'm having a tough time controlling and maintaining heat any suggestion on any modifacation to help maintain heat? Thank you in advance
cocoflea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...t_smokers.html

This article helped me A LOT when I first got my offset. Lists reasons why cheap offsets are tough to deal with sometimes and lists plenty of mods to help tame things.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

It's a stick burner get used to having a mistress( that's why they have female names). They run hotter and better on a strait wood fire. I'm sure some one will tell you to build a Charcoal basket IMO it is akin to putting regular in a Ferrari it will get you there but with issues. Wood is cheaper hotter and just tastes better, 1 stick every 45 min or there abouts.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Just to add in again. Blu is right. Don't bother with building a charcoal basket. It blocks airflow and will make it harder to keep temp. Not to say you shouldn't cook with charcoal on your offset though. You can cook with it and get great results but build a charcoal fire on the charcoal grate in the firebox and add a few chunks or splits of whatever wood you fancy.

And remember, offsets are all about draft and air flow. Adjust your temp with the intake only. Leave the exhaust open 100%. You want a good draft to move heat into the cook chamber and leaving the exhaust unrestricted achieves that.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Mammoth Mountain
On the road to being a farker

Location: Orting Wa up on the hillside of a Volcano Mt. Rainier

Not know which Brinkman smoker you have, I can tell you what I did. I have a Brinkman Trailmaster. I used some dryer ducting to lower the exit point for the smoke. I wrapped half fire bricks with foil and lined the bottom. I got a welding blanket ( Harbor Freight ) and fit it all around the main tube. I then used heat bubble wrap around the outside, even the chimmey. I also found a thin wire basket that fits in the firebox. I got it at Bed Bath and Beyound in the bathroom section. I can cook a hot and fast brisket at 325 to 350 even in the dead of winter.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Now that I've done several charcoal cooks on my Brinkmann Cimarron, I'm itchin to do a wood-only one.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
cocoflea
Found some matches.

Thank you all as soon as it get warm up here (it's 10 degrees) I will work on it
cocoflea is offline   Reply With Quote