MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #11971
Stevenscustomguitars
Knows what a fatty is.

It's definitely on the B&Q website, but much more expensive than from a steel company.

@gingerchris: I don't want to have to replace it if it burns away, not at £38 a sheet. I'd rather make sure I get the right stuff first time!

Not that I'm keen on sticking it back on the roof to swap it either

Last edited by Stevenscustomguitars; 06-11-2014 at 12:07 PM..
Stevenscustomguitars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #11972
Stevenscustomguitars
Knows what a fatty is.

I think I'm gonna stick with it; it looks exactly like the stuff in this thread in terms of thickness and diamond size so I'm hoping it will be fine.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=171398

And with 8'x4' of it I've got enough to replace it anyway.

I've also ordered the last bits including an 18" pizza pan, the grates and some VHT engine enamel. I was planning on a weber lid but am struggling to find a use one touch 22.5". Think i'll just go with one rack and the drum lid for the time being and mod it as and when I find a cheap kettle.

I've loved reading this thread - so helpful - and can't wait to get started. Cheers
Dave

Old 06-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #11973
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

any idea what area of the store I can look? there is a superstore close to my work.
I can check tomorrow.

found them online
http://www.diy.com/nav/build/buildin...?skuId=9293816
Eggtastico is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #11974
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenscustomguitars View Post
I was planning on a weber lid but am struggling to find a use one touch 22.5". Think i'll just go with one rack and the drum lid for the time being and mod it as and when I find a cheap kettle.

I've loved reading this thread - so helpful - and can't wait to get started. Cheers
Dave
I picked up a cheap kettle from Asda for £10 towards the end of summer.
Used it for parts :oD cant buy a 57cm charcoal grate for that!

Old 06-12-2014, 02:14 AM   #11975
Stevenscustomguitars
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggtastico View Post
any idea what area of the store I can look? there is a superstore close to my work.
I can check tomorrow.

found them online
http://www.diy.com/nav/build/buildin...?skuId=9293816
I think you may need to check that it's not galvanised, is there a self colour option? V expensive though, I paid that for 8'x4' from a steel yard.

It's normally with all the sheet metal stored vertically, like stuff for radiator covers and the steel lengths.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #11976
gingerchris
Found some matches.

@stevenscustomguitars it looks thicker than mine.

I've failed to find a decent lid to fit over my open head drum so I've committed the cardinal sin of deviating from the KISS principal and mounted a kettle BBQ with a giant hole in the bottom on top of my drum.

Fired it up for a test run today and it seems to be running a lot hotter than it was before. I'm thinking that could be either due to lack of exhaust (I was using the 2in bung hole before) or the extra volume of air in the cooker maybe? Does anyone have any ideas?
gingerchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #11977
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerchris View Post

I've failed to find a decent lid to fit over my open head drum so I've committed the cardinal sin of deviating from the KISS principal and mounted a kettle BBQ with a giant hole in the bottom on top of my drum.

Fired it up for a test run today and it seems to be running a lot hotter than it was before. I'm thinking that could be either due to lack of exhaust (I was using the 2in bung hole before) or the extra volume of air in the cooker maybe? Does anyone have any ideas?
That looks really good.
Props to good idea about the lid - oh & the hooks for charcoal grate.
I may have to borrow that one [ ^ _ ^ ]

Old 06-13-2014, 10:10 AM   #11978
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenscustomguitars View Post
I think you may need to check that it's not galvanised, is there a self colour option? V expensive though, I paid that for 8'x4' from a steel yard.

It's normally with all the sheet metal stored vertically, like stuff for radiator covers and the steel lengths.
there where I have previously looked.
I can get welded sheet for £20 in 8x4 but I dont think it will bend as easily as expanded stuff.

I also see that Perkins has Stainless Steel Lath - might need to check that stuff out

Old 06-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #11979
gingerchris
Found some matches.

I've seen a few people using washing machine drums with the base cut out and replaced by a bbq grate for a firebasket - might be worth a look if you know where to find one rather than expanded metal?

My donor kettle was from Argos - currently £60 in their sale and was bought as a leaving present from my old job. They knew me so well!

Old 06-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #11980
funugy
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerchris View Post

I would do another test run. My first thought is that you are getting more air flow. Did anything else change other than the top? Did you omit anything from before (i.e. water pan, diffuser)? Are you able to snuff out the fire still? If so you might want to try starting with less lit fuel and bring up the temp slowly, you may just be running more efficient with the dome lid than the flat one.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-15-2014, 03:39 AM   #11981
Stevenscustomguitars
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Help with grate placement please

Hi,

I'm in the final stages of planning, built my charcoal basket and ash tray last night, very excited!

The only thing i'm unsure about is the grate placement. I'll probably only use one but would like to have the option of two when I find a weber lid.

So, my barrel internal height is 33.5"
Charcoal grate is 3" off the bottom
Basket is 9" high
If, as most suggest, I place the grate at 24" about the charcoal grate, that leaves 6.5" from the top. Is that enough to get a 2nd level in at the top if I get a weber lid? I want to be sure I have enough height for pork butt, chickens etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again to this great thread :)

Old 06-16-2014, 06:54 AM   #11982
tdizzle
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I just finished my first uds a couple of weeks ago - definitely the definition of ugly
I used a couple of old bbq grills for the charcoal basket and meat rack
a paint of pot belly black on the outside keeping it looking alright save for the grease stains dripping down
I went to the butchers and just got a whole bunch of fat for the seasoning - works great!
tdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2014, 06:55 AM   #11983
tdizzle
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

my lighting method is lighting a piece of charcoal outside with an electric heat gun chucking it on to the pile of charcoal in the uds and then turning the heat gun on that - lights the stack in seconds
tdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #11984
Creauxman
Found some matches.

Default Looking for drum...

Hello I'm going to try to build myself an ugly drum smoker but I am having problems locating a 55 gal drum to start. Do any of you know where I might find one in the Houston, TX area? I've tried Craigslist but I couldn't get any responses to those who advertised they had some for sale. Much appreciated and smoke on!
Creauxman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2014, 03:29 AM   #11985
gingerchris
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funugy View Post
I would do another test run. My first thought is that you are getting more air flow. Did anything else change other than the top? Did you omit anything from before (i.e. water pan, diffuser)? Are you able to snuff out the fire still? If so you might want to try starting with less lit fuel and bring up the temp slowly, you may just be running more efficient with the dome lid than the flat one.
I think I might have lit up a few more coals at the start which would explain the heat. Also I used a small log rather than wood chunks which was going crazy whenever I opened the lid, so I'll break that down to smaller pieces for the next cook.

I smoked a load of scotch bonnet chillis on my test run for a batch of sauce.

Thanks from:--->

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker